• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

started yr11... shud i use folders now or wat? (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
not really, esp not if you date and number your sheets. usually i staple sets of notes together as well when they're completed.

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
I think folders are so much harder to keep your notes organised, if you have like books to write in and a4 sleeve folders to put sheets in i think that is the best way to keep notes all together and a lot easier.

[trent]

HSC
Folders are great...except for when you put them down at the bus stop and forget to pick them up and subsequently loose all the last two week's work!! (...not that it happened to me this arvo or anything...grr...)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
See, my issue with books is that I jump around a lot, and take class notes that often become repetitive, and so it's a lot more organised for me to use loose leaf.

a8o

HSC
[trent] said:
Folders are great...except for when you put them down at the bus stop and forget to pick them up and subsequently loose all the last two week's work!! (...not that it happened to me this arvo or anything...grr...)
As opposed to losing a whole year's work in an exercise book!

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
You'll need to give Jap Beginners its own folder, that subject has loads of loose sheets.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Well last year i used a folder and put my books in them. I subsequently got pissed off everytime i had a subject where the book was on the bottom of the pile, that coupled with the folder prong thingos always going skitzo make go to loose leaf.

I have 2 subjects to each folder now, and its hell easier!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
using a lever arch folder is a good way to keep all your notes and sheets organised..but carrying it around is such a bitch!!!

but exercise books are not that useful, i get lots of sheets for most of my subjects. still contemplating what i should do.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Folders!!!

Lol a huge thread just on folders. I scrapped books after the first week or so of yr 11. Im in yr 12 now and have one smaller folder for just english and a big one for everything else. Its so much easier with loose leaf cos sometimes the teachers love to confuse and do stuff out of order, so you can just add stuff wherever. And sheets are a shit to glue in. Everyone knows that they just float around in the inside cover and get lost anyway.

Oh and especially sice ur doin extension maths its good to be able to pull out your notes to look at while ur doing the qustions rather than flipping back and forth.

Folders win, cmon...Lol :D

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
i use 3 of those thin folders you can pick up at K-Mart for a few dollars (2-ring folders). simply put 2 128-page books into them, get one of those cardboard seperators with tabs, and split your folder to hold 2 subjects.

i've split mine into:

folder 1: maths, maths ext (maths folder)
folder 2: physics, chemistry (science folder)
folder 3: IT and english (misc folder)

so each folder has 2 books. then, get yourself a hole puncher. everytime you get a handout, punch 2 holes in and store it into your correct folder. beats the living crap out of wasting a few minutes cutting + pasting. plus it keeps sheets and books in great condition.

keep in mind if you lose your folder, you're pretty much screwed as you've lost all your work in 2 subjects.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
My teachers specifically told me i had to use a folder, cause they said if they wanted to collect class work, its alot easier to collect pieces of paper than whole books which hold different subjects in it... of course they never have collected class work.. so really i could just be using books. But i find using a folder much easier, except when it breaks........and when the holes in the paper get ripped so their larger than they're sposed to be...
really and truly its all just personal preference. If you prefer books, then go for ur life :)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I'm one of those folder ppl, who have like dividers and different colours for diff subjects. Its sort of this weird obsession. I think its just personal prefference but I get alot of sheets etc so its easier to organise and i know if i had a book i would just shove it in the back. The major drawback with folders is they can get majorly heavy.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Sweets said:
The major drawback with folders is they can get majorly heavy.
not really.

i use 3 thin folders with 2 subjects in each. once i get to school i would shove my bag into my locker and carry around the folders i'm going to be using next.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
donnytuco said:
heys, i just started yr11 with these classes:

maths extension
eng extension
jap beginners
visual art
physics

and so im not sure wat wud b the best... uh... thing to write stuff in. i dunno if i shud stick to books. wich is pretty good but then again i never had to study or whatever, just copy down notes off the board, stick crap in, do homework wenever etc. but now startin yr11 i dunno if using sumtin different like folders or watever, since its more 'efficient'. probably is though, but i dunno how its supposed to work... yea. so can anyone help me out that'd be cool. stupid yr11 makin us work :(

Good question... my teacher once told me this and it's actually quite good advice:

"You've been in the top class and have been performing with excellent results, just because you've entered senior schooling, why do you think that is going to change???"

i.e. Whatever you've found works for you... note taking is a subjective concept.

jarrad

HSC
N/A
I think folders make it easier to organise all your work = reason why I use folders.

Sentient_667

HSC
I use folders myself, but soon will be using a laptop computer instead. That'll get quite ineresting... I'm sure my working speed will improve drastically, as I am a touch-typist, and am bottlenecked by the old archaic pen-ink-paper system :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh ffs, i fucking hate people who are all "i can't write! wah! gimme a laptop!"

seriously, you'll have to write for up to 3 hrs in yr actual hsc. get the fuck used to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)