Votes: 46 80.7%
  • marrons

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davo_

good kid
HSC
I was fairly shocked that Slater was dropped as well... I would have called him the best fullback in the comp. at the moment; in saying that, Matty Bowen is a fucking awesome player as well and I don't think they'll lose a heap. On another topic; who will replace Hindmarsh in the team if he is suspended? If this happens my tip is one of the backrowers off the bench (probably Ryan) and O'Meley onto the bench.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
minichello is clearly the best fullback currently playing. consistently makes the most meters, beats the 1st tackle most of the time, can break tackles, break lines. great at running beside a great playmaker, scores lotsa tries and can set them up (see last friday). he's even better in defence, great sense of positioning and puts his body on the line. probably the safest under bombs in the nrl (ive only remember him dropping a bomb once since becoming a fullback). saves alot of tries each season.

among the queenslanders

slater is pretty mecurial... a match winner for sure, great at running onto the ball and into holes and very dangerous in broken play. very much an attacking fullback. he's just a bit faster than mini, but his ball handling is poor, makes some errors everygame ... i think this is magnified by andrew johns putting up bombs for him. his defence is also pretty weak.

bowen is also very much an offensive player, lethal in broken play, explosive speed. he prolly isnt as much a hole runner as slater, but is more of a ball player, can slot into the halves as he does at the cowboys. but same as above, looks shaky under the high ball, though he's improved since last year and makes quite a few errors. not the best defender either.

wesser is alot safer than the prev 2 and much better defensively. he's slightly slower and less of a game breaker. plus penriths poor run this season hasnt helped. schifcofske would prolly be the safest out of the qlders and helps directing the attack. prolly the slowest of the 4 contenders but is still lethal in broken play.

I can see why qld selectors wouldve picked bowen at fullback, but i wouldnt have dropped slater all together as qld needed that gamebreaking element ...esp in the decider. put him on the wing to replace ty williams. blah who cares... i cant believe i typed this much already

Last edited:

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
minichello is clearly the best fullback currently playing. consistently makes the most meters, beats the 1st tackle most of the time, can break tackles, break lines. great at running beside a great playmaker, scores lotsa tries and can set them up (see last friday). he's even better in defence, great sense of positioning and puts his body on the line. probably the safest under bombs in the nrl (ive only remember him dropping a bomb once since becoming a fullback). saves alot of tries each season.

among the queenslanders

slater is pretty mecurial... a match winner for sure, great at running onto the ball and into holes and very dangerous in broken play. very much an attacking fullback. he's just a bit faster than mini, but his ball handling is poor, makes some errors everygame ... i think this is magnified by andrew johns putting up bombs for him. his defence is also pretty weak.

bowen is also very much an offensive player, lethal in broken play, explosive speed. he prolly isnt as much a hole runner as slater, but is more of a ball player, can slot into the halves as he does at the cowboys. but same as above, looks shaky under the high ball, though he's improved since last year and makes quite a few errors. not the best defender either.

wesser is alot safer than the prev 2 and much better defensively. he's slightly slower and less of a game breaker. plus penriths poor run this season hasnt helped. schifcofske would prolly be the safest out of the qlders and helps directing the attack. prolly the slowest of the 4 contenders but is still lethal in broken play.

I can see why qld selectors wouldve picked bowen at fullback, but i wouldnt have dropped slater all together as qld needed that gamebreaking element ...esp in the decider. put him on the wing to replace ty williams. blah who cares... i cant believe i typed this much already
couldnt agree with ya more mate, but ill summarise cuz thats one long essay
mini bestest fullback... that is all

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
What i find funny is Adrian Morley defending Hindmarsh. I smell some intervention from Ricky Stuart wanting Hindmarsh for game 3.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
copious said:
What i find funny is Adrian Morley defending Hindmarsh. I smell some intervention from Ricky Stuart wanting Hindmarsh for game 3.
ricky denies it but :D

still doesnt that set a precedent for grapple tackles?

davo_

good kid
HSC
Constip8edSkunk... I don't really agree with some of the thing's you've said... Currently on form I think Slater is the best; runs awesome lines- the best in the comp I think, strong defensively (he used to play up in the line- as did mini- but I think you'll find defensively centres is a bit more demanding than the wing). I just think Slater has matured a heap as a player in the last season or so. Bowen is a real class act (a real pleasure to watch) and is easily the best ballplaying fullback out of the 4 players you have mentioned - the rest are more ball runners. I understand why the selectors have done what they've done- although it wouldn't have been my pick. I've found Wesser to be a fairly patchy;he's a real confidence player, and I would have called him the worst under the high ball out of the four players mentioned- on his day he'll catch anything- but when he is down on confidence he'll drop near anything as well.. In saying this, you put any fullback in the NRL under a decent kick and they will probably struggle. Out of the rest Minichello is probably the best under the high ball - but not outstandingly. Mini's major problem is his tendency not to pass and his poor handling skills when he does. Luckily for him he can bust tackles which means this flaw isn't so obvious. I'm not really going to argue much further, and just say its good there's so many class fullbacks in the comp at the moment. I'll finish in saying I think Lockyer is still the best fullback in the comp., even though he's not playing there at the moment. Lockyer had it all as a fullback and is strong as both a ball runner and a ball player, and defensively was awesome back there.
That'll do me anyway.. night kids.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
After the Broncos match, it will be Tonie Carroll if he pulls through.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the blues will nail them although the selectors are making it as hard as possible for themselves by picking tahu WITHOUT gidley.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Hagan explained today in the Australian that the TBA spot was for Carroll. They wanted to see if how he went in the Brisbane game this weekend before deciding he was fit for origin football.
I would have chosen Grothe I think for that wing position; but Tahu is a solid player - I don't think the fact that he's not playing with Gidley means too much (think about it: he hasn't been playing with Gidley all year).

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
I was surpised that Eric Growthe wasnt picked but pfft oh well. Im so happy Buderus is still playing! :D I guess NSW looks like they have the best team line up, so hopefully they will win...

GO THE BLUES! :uhhuh: cant wait till wednesday...

HSC
leaving slater out of QLD team = certain victory for blues.

GO THE BLUES!! we are gonna whoop ass tonight.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Qld 26 - 22

First try scorer , Matt Sing or Gasnier.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
i reckon NSW 33-26, and first try scorer Minichiello or Buderus. Pfft but im the shittest at tipping....but one thing im sure is NSW WILL WIN!!! :uhhuh: GO THE BLUES !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)