State Ranking in Sciences and Maths (1 Viewer)

goodcat911

HSC
Does anyone know the rough marks that u needa get to qualify for a top 20 state rank in phys, chem, bio, ext 1 maths and ext 2 maths? also, what internal rank is recommended to achieve it if u attend a top 20 selective school?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Phys/chem/bio you need usually like a 97+ hsc mark
ext 1 maths 100 hsc mark unless it was a very hard exam
ext 2 maths probably 98+

No clue about the ranking in the schools exactly but if there is only 20 places per subject then you need to really be like top 5 since the state rank is based on your mark in the external exam, as well as internals. Unless there is some scenario in which you get like 99 or 100 in the hsc exam and that pushes up your overall mark, if you are not close to the top it's basically impossible

4321suomynona

HSC
hypothetically what if u get an internal mark of like 89/90 and then in ur externals u somehow get like 99. Then what happens to ur overall and do u still sr. Ik a person who got like 96 internal, 100 external for chem last year (overall was 98) and he got a sr for chem, even tho ik people that have gotten 98 last year and not gotten a sr for chem

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
hypothetically what if u get an internal mark of like 89/90 and then in ur externals u somehow get like 99. Then what happens to ur overall and do u still sr. Ik a person who got like 96 internal, 100 external for chem last year (overall was 98) and he got a sr for chem, even tho ik people that have gotten 98 last year and not gotten a sr for chem

Nah you won't get state rank in first scenario. State rank is based on the final HSC mark and so that would mean its based on the person getting 89 + 99 divided by 2, which is not enough for the usually 97+ cut offs for most subjects

The second scenario is just unlucky. They only have a limited number of places they can give for the state rank and so if people tie on the same mark they probably have some criteria they use to decide which person gets it. Like sometimes the same raw mark could give you the same exam mark, so maybe someone has a 1 raw mark higher between the tied people or they can look at things like the answer quality.

I know from when I did HSC that the tied mark and some people get it and others miss out happens cause I got 97 for english advanced and didn't state rank, when I know of someone who got the same mark and came 14th. State rank is nice to have and a great achievement but if you miss out and still got a mark like almost good enough for it or tied at that mark someone else got it for, it doesn't matter too much because it will still lead to the same calculation for the ATAR. It kind of burns at the time from when it happened to me but a few years down the line you won't really think much about it and be happy with the mark you got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)