• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State Rankings (2 Viewers)

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
But your initial stat doesn't look that right.

If they take preference on HSC mark over internal mark, how come the one who got higher HSC mark got lower state rank?
I think it may have been because girl A had a huge lead over girl B in their internals. The BOS love issuing lovely little vague comments about their procedures, so we can't really make much from them.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Alright i have some more stats to add
I know the marks of those who came top 3 in ag
INT EXT OV
99 98 99 state rank 1st
98 98 98 state rank 2nd
97 99 98 state rank 3rd

Were the marks and ranks

bit shifty
lol go to the baord's site and check out the top 10 state rankers in agricultrue - 9/10 go to James Ruse, LMAO

dp624

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
lol go to the baord's site and check out the top 10 state rankers in agricultrue - 9/10 go to James Ruse, LMAO
yes that's how i know their marks...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So how is really determined? Is it overall or HSC then inernal? (or something else?)

I really don't like BOS contradicting (or making some poor wordings of what they ACTUALLY MEAN).

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
tbh if it was based on external marks alone and i didn't forget to elaborate on two things well enough in my essay, i'd probably be expecting one for eco. wah.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio: I think I realise it now. Your stats and dp's stats are correct in the context of what you are saying. If the state-rankers are from the same school, it's POSSIBLE to rank them based on their school assessment results AND HSC results together. That's why someone who got lower HSC mark could get higher HSC state-rank as you already said (because she must have beaten her by large lead in the school assessment).

But your stats and dp's stats only apply to the ones who got state-ranked from the SAME school. It really shouldn' apply to the state-ranks coming from different schools as they only get assessed on HSC exam therefore, only measurement of performance that is approprite is HSC. In that case, HSC mark is considered first.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Yes, but still, internal marks count too! lol
But how can we measure that when they are different from all over the place. If we have some results - from different schools WITH school ranks & state ranks & actual marks, we might be able to see some through but I don't know.

I have got some stats too - about my own school. But again, I am talking about my own school where the comparison between students is easier.

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
it's safe to say that externals are pretty much the primary contributor though hey? like lyounamu's friend or whatever who wasn't ranked 1st internally for physics but still topped the state.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolcal said:
it's safe to say that externals are pretty much the primary contributor though hey? like lyounamu's friend or whatever who wasn't ranked 1st internally for physics but still topped the state.
Yeah.

Peter Yoon at my school wasn't ranked first in the year for Physics in 2004. He actually came second in the year but he topped the state.

This is what he got to say about internal mark for state-ranks.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=1628762#post1628762
Look at 21st comment.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Namu, reckon you'll get a state ranking for 2U maths?

I hope to get one, but meh not counting on it.

morning storm

HSC
i was behind namu in the maths exams and he was a beast

he had finished and checked it all twice an hour and 15 minutes into the exam

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
morning storm said:

lol, that's not entirely right, tom.

I finished my exam under 1 hour and 40 minutes though. Checking took a bit of time...

Zephyrio: I am not really sure. I am confident that I did well but this exam was apparently easy...and a lot of people on BOS are expecting like 119+, basically 5-10% of the people based on poll. If I get a state-rank, that's good. If I don't, meh, I will still have another year to make up for it. And I will still have luxury to celebrate morning storm and my another accelerant mate getting state-ranks.

What about you Zephyrio? You reckon you got 120 so far?

shaon0

HSC
morning storm said:

Maybe that's because the test was easy

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
Maybe that's because the test was easy
Meh, it wasn't as easy as what people make it out to be. I bet not many people got top in the state for this one despite what people say.

I reckon 3-4 people will probably pull off 120.

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
lol, that's not entirely right, tom.

I finished my exam under 1 hour and 40 minutes though. Checking took a bit of time...

Zephyrio: I am not really sure. I am confident that I did well but this exam was apparently easy...and a lot of people on BOS are expecting like 119+, basically 5-10% of the people based on poll. If I get a state-rank, that's good. If I don't, meh, I will still have another year to make up for it. And I will still have luxury to celebrate morning storm and my another accelerant mate getting state-ranks.

What about you Zephyrio? You reckon you got 120 so far?
No, I think I probably got around 116-118.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
No, I think I probably got around 116-118.
118 will probably get you a state rank. Weren't you the top in your school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)