• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State Ranks in Maths (1 Viewer)

vajayjay

HSC
I've heard people say that to state rank in maths (particuarly advanced), you need to be getting 100 or 99. (And occassionally 98). If there is only 3 marks difference, how do they rank people differently? I.e. how do they determine who is 5 and who is i6? Or if there is a tie for 100 etc...1727475697083.png

@jimmysmith560

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are different ways that NESA does this:
  • They consider decimals. Generally speaking, different Assessment Marks and Examination Marks can lead to an identical overall HSC mark. For example, a student who received 99 as their Assessment Mark and 100 as their Examination Mark will technically achieve 99.5 as their overall HSC mark, though NESA rounds up such marks. In this case, the student’s overall HSC mark would be 100. Of course, another student may have scored 100 as both their Assessment Mark and Examination Mark, which also results in 100 as their overall HSC mark. In such a case, if both students were to place among the top achievers in the state, the latter will likely place higher based on the decimal difference.
  • NESA can also consider raw marks (state ranks are based on the overall HSC marks, which are comprised of aligned components). They may take an average of a student’s Examination Mark and Assessment Mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places.
  • In the case of an Extension course like Mathematics Extension 1 or Mathematics Extension 2, NESA can consider student marks in other subjects within the same subject area. For example, if a state rank is being determined for Mathematics Extension 1, NESA can consider the student’s performance in Mathematics Extension 2 (and vice versa) or Mathematics Advanced if the student does not take Mathematics Extension 2.
These approaches are official as per NESA. There are other methods that NESA may apply, although they are not confirmed, including:
  • Considering responses for individual HSC exam questions. This is likely for more complex cases, where students can be differentiated based on the quality of their approach to answer a particular question(s).
  • Other elements, such as handwriting, although I personally doubt this one.
I hope this helps! 😀

ShhQuietPlease

Co-founder @ Zeta Education
HSC
Uni Grad
Speaking from personal experience as someone who state ranked 2U in 2015 (I realised that's almost 10 years ago...), my marks were
HSC - 100
Exam - 100
School - 100

However, I knew walking out of the test that I got one question wrong. This means my raw exam mark was 99 which then got scaled to 100. The result was there were 4 equal first and I came fifth. This means they do consider your raw marks and to a lesser extent, your individual responses. My friend who sat the same test came 17th, with the reason being his Exam mark was 99 whilst the rest of his marks were 100.

Last edited:

rubypinky:)

HSC
Speaking from personal experience as someone who state ranked 2U in 2015 (I realised that's almost 10 years ago...), my marks were
HSC - 100
Exam - 100
School - 100

However, I knew walking out of the test that I got one question wrong. This means my raw exam mark was 99 which then got scaled to 100. The result was there were 4 equal first and I came fifth. This means they do consider your raw marks and to a lesser extent, your individual responses. My friend who sat the same test came 18th, with the reason being his Exam mark was 99 whilst the rest of his marks were 100.
if the school score was 100, does that mean you got 100% for all your exams? I dont quite understand how your friend came 18th when he scored 100 for all his exams like u did and lost one mark for his raw exam

WeiWeiMan

HSC
if the school score was 100, does that mean you got 100% for all your exams? I dont quite understand how your friend came 18th when he scored 100 for all his exams like u did and lost one mark for his raw exam
cuz i'm pre sure they take into account a lot of decimals, handwriting (maybe), how nice ur answer is (maybe)

I've heard people say that to state rank in maths (particuarly advanced), you need to be getting 100 or 99. (And occassionally 98). If there is only 3 marks difference, how do they rank people differently? I.e. how do they determine who is 5 and who is i6? Or if there is a tie for 100 etc...View attachment 44360

@jimmysmith560
there is 0 chance a 98 in adv is sr wth

ShhQuietPlease

HSC
Uni Grad
No worries, I can definitely understand since there's a lot of myths around school mark.

So after the HSC exam, you'll receive three marks
1. Exam mark - This is a scaled mark based on how you went on the day.
2. School mark - This mark, contrary to popular belief, is not a scaled/moderated mark of your school assessments. This is simply the nth highest mark achieved by your school cohort where n is your rank.
3. HSC mark - An average of Exam and School marks.

When I was accelerated, I was rank 3 in school. My school mark was the 3rd highest mark achieved by someone in my school cohort for Mathematics Advanced (100). Still with me? Now here's the confusing part, my friend was also rank 3. This means we had the same school mark of 100. However, he must had made a few silly mistakes and ended up with an Exam mark of 99.

From the average of Exam and School, we have the same HSC mark. However, due to differences in our Exam mark, he got a lower state rank.

2015 HSC State Ranks

And no, I definitely did not score 100% in my school exams. My school exams raw mark has no impact on my "School Mark". That's a myth!

Exam
(How well you do on the day)
School
(Comes from your rank)
HSC
(Average of Exam and School)
Me100100100
My friend99100100

Last edited:

ShhQuietPlease

HSC
Uni Grad
cuz i'm pre sure they take into account a lot of decimals, handwriting (maybe), how nice ur answer is (maybe)
I'd like to blame my handwriting for coming 5th and not 1st : ) But honestly I write like a doctor without the credentials unfortunately.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
No worries, I can definitely understand since there's a lot of myths around school mark.

So after the HSC exam, you'll receive three marks
1. Exam mark - This is a scaled mark based on how you went on the day.
2. School mark - This mark, contrary to popular belief, is not a scaled/moderated mark of your school assessments. This is simply the nth highest mark achieved by your school cohort where n is your rank.
3. HSC mark - An average of Exam and School marks.

When I was accelerated, I was rank 3 in school. My school mark was the 3rd highest mark achieved by someone in my school cohort for Mathematics Advanced (100). Still with me? Now here's the confusing part, my friend was also rank 3. This means we had the same school mark of 100. However, he must had made a few silly mistakes and ended up with an Exam mark of 99.

From the average of Exam and School, we have the same HSC mark. However, due to differences in our Exam mark, he got a lower state rank.

2015 HSC State Ranks

Exam
(How well you do on the day)
School
(Comes from your rank)
HSC
(Average of Exam and School)
Me100100100
My friend99100100
erm akshually it's not quite nth rank gets nth highest mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)