Statutory interp recommendation (or none?) (1 Viewer)

lawstu

HSC
Could anyone recommend a text for interpretation of statutes for freshers?

I'm thinking of saving myself from spending - I'm guessing - a hundred dollars on something that I'd definitely need for later but just not now. The fundies/intro stuff seems plenty of reading and is only an fundies/intro course after all.

Hints are welcome and will be very much appreciated.

I Study Hard

HSC
Are you looking for a textbook/guide on statutory interpretation?
I never had one, I learnt how to interpret legislation in my classes and found I didn't need an extra text to teach me =)

lawstu

HSC
Cool, thanks, guys.

Just to be clear, the fresher law text and readers, the relevant Acts, and classes/seminars/tutes, I should be more than equipped to deal with statutes, right? Thanks in advance.

I Study Hard

HSC
There's no reason you shouldn't be. Some statutes are harder to interpret than others *cough* tax legislation *cough* but you should be fine. If you're having trouble with interpretation just ask your teacher, they'll be happy to help.

izzy88

HSC
Cool, thanks, guys.

Just to be clear, the fresher law text and readers, the relevant Acts, and classes/seminars/tutes, I should be more than equipped to deal with statutes, right? Thanks in advance.
You should be fine. To be honest statutes are not necessarily the most difficult aspects of law - reading and getting the law from cases can be more difficult.

Also, my first year law courses hardly dealt with statute at all - it was usually caselaw (eg. Foundations of law, torts, even contract and public law I think).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)