struggling o5'er (1 Viewer)

babii-boo

1ol skool BOY!
HSC
im a struggling chemistry student because i lack the basics.. i was just wonderin if n e body knew about a chemistry for dummies basics or sumthn.. lol i enjoy the subject adn did really well in prelim for the first ahlf of the year but i am now startin to slip due to my lack of knowledge of the basics but otherwise i generally get it HELP

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well the holidays are coming up now. You dont really need much prelim knowledge for the hsc chem course. I suggest starting from scratch in the hsc book, and doing all the questions.

HSC
You will have to work alot harder and annoy the teacher for basics, my teacher goes anal if you ask prelim questions

get "Spotlight chemistry prelim" spend like 1 hour a day going over it, after a month you can do the whole book, i did half the book in 2 weeks when i was fucking around term 1 and 2 of year 11, luckily i know my work now because when they present to you stuff like moles that is in the production of materials, you are not dumbfounded

almost nobody in our class could do these molarity calculations through experiment we did, everyone kept going "oh no my results are wrong" yet i was closest too correct/most accurate readings

know your shit, trust me it helps :uhhuh:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yeah.. there's no easy way out. even if you don't understand the stuff, just try to memorise the relevant notes for the dot points... of course understanding is a way better method to succeed

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Buy the surfing series of books. Answer every question in those books, and you'll be fine.

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Get a copy of Macquarie Revision Guide. This book follows the syllabus very well and provides precise information.

I agree, get the Macquarie Revision Guide for HSC Chemistry. There are a few things you might need to know like bond forces (that make ethanol a good solvent for both polar/non-polar substances or heat of combustion maybe), but it isn't as important to know preliminary as it is to know the information for the actual HSC. But if you need to know it, find out, but otherwise you might be better off just making good notes for every dot point and knowing them and understanding the concepts etc. behind it.

Become as familiar as you can with the information by going over it.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
The main idea is to understand all the concepts presented in the syllabus and being able to write freely about each topic area with close attention to the question key words (e.g. analyse, assess, etc.)

The new HSC is not so much the Chemistry (like the equations and so forth) but is more about understanding of concepts and answering question's properly.

In saying that, I missed out on a lot of basics through the prelim course because I used to sit up the back doodling in my book and ended up with shit house prelim marks. When we started the HSC work, I started going really good without the basic chemistry knowledge since most of the stuff I missed out on that I needed to know were touched on by our teacher and slightly by a few text books I had.

Good luck with this year.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i think i am in the same position as you. i really try to understand the concepts during class time. however, when i try to remember it afterwards, i'm lost for words. its as if it goes through one ear, and out the other.

however, use bored to your advantage. its resources i think are terrific. however, the calculating part is a bit difficult to pick up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)