student allowance - get rid of it... (1 Viewer)

L-esky

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ Or the system is fucked.
I agree.
I rant about centrelink all the time in class when I'm bored...it's fuckin stupid.
I'm not eligible for YA because both my parents work/they're still together. Neither of them earn very much however. But I know kids who yeah have one parent working but it's not like their parent is earning nothing, like they've actually got pretty well paying jobs yet they can still get youth allowance and they complain about never having enough money to do anything. Also, by the way I go to a public school so it's not like they're putting it towards their tuition or anything. It pisses me off something chronic. Some of them are getting more money from YA than other kids I know who do 4+ shifts a week of work.
Like one of my friends was having a bitch the other day because since she's been getting more shifts at work and centrelink has cut her weekly/fortnightly (I don't know which) from $120 down to $99...I was like well I don't work, my parents work hard every weekday and they won't even give me a little bit of help.
The system is good for a lot of people and I'm not taking that away from it and I know there are quite a few people out there who use it in the way it should be used...but I think the whole thing needs to be reviewed honestly because the money isn't always going to worthy people.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ Exactly man. Youth Allowance is often getting squandered. You should have to be an unemployed university student to get it in my opinion.

roadcone

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ Or the system is fucked.
I think this is the case.

I come from a fairly well off family, have worked full time (whilst studying part time) for the past two years, am working casually whilst studying full time and earn right on the allowable figure per month to quality for YA (as I have proved myself to be independent through my income in the past two years). I can assure you that there is no way that I think I should be receiving YA, yet do...

the system should be overhauled - it is simply promoting middle-high income welfare support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)