• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Student Politics (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

They're labor and they love trees Waf. So long as they're under the illusion that they're right, we shouldn't do anything to ruin their mindset. Besides, we're always right so what have we got to lose.
HAR.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They don't know anything about trees. That's why they hate me so much - because unlike any of them, I've actually got qualifications in horticulture.

K

katie_tully

I'm an Earth Science major and I don't give a stuff about trees. I'm just in this so that I can frolic with meerkats.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Re: Sydney Uni Liberal Club's Official Publication: Libertas!

Phanatical said:
The ISA Update is much nicer.

Lara Andrews is so hawt.
Yeah, like, totally.

walrusbear

HSC

are you sexist, racist and homophobic waf?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

I'd hope not, given my views on race, gender and homosexuality are actually a lot closer to equality than what the left propose.

Optophobia

HSC

walrusbear said:
are you sexist, racist and homophobic waf?
God save the queen!

:rofl:

walrusbear

HSC

withoutaface said:
I'd hope not, given my views on race, gender and homosexuality are actually a lot closer to equality than what the left propose.
what are your views?
and what does 'the left' propose?

Lorie

HSC

Generator said:

I saw that story, so full on. i can not believe some of things they are doing up there.

Shouting the phrase: "We're racist, we're sexist, we're homophobic", at people is out and out bullying and verbal assult. This seems to be the point of view of the far right of the liberal party, who are out the get rid of the view of the party that are well - "liberal".

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2006/s1686147.htm

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

walrusbear said:
what are your views?
and what does 'the left' propose?
Gender issues: - I propose that the father should be able to sign a piece of paper waiving his rights/responsibilities as a father within the period where the woman who is carrying the child can have an abortion, such that he can have the same out clause as she does, promoting greater equality of responsibility between two parents.
- Pro abortion rights obviously.
- Paternity leave should be available (and equal to maternity leave), and either this or maternity leave should be able to waived (i.e. have this written into a contract) so as to improve a prospective employee's chances of securing a position.
- No affirmative action as this discriminates against one gender and demeans the other. (Key difference with the left exists here.)

Racism: - Invasion of Iraq was a mistake as there was no proof of WMD's and/or their intent to use them on the US.
- Open borders, so long as criminal records of immigrants can be accessed.
- Lenient sentences, extra welfare handouts, etc, only serve to create further problems within the aboriginal community, and such policies should be abolished immediately.
- Absolute free trade.

Homophobia: - Deinstitutionalisation of marriage.
- Homosexual adoption rights.
Lorie said:
I saw that story, so full on. i can not believe some of things they are doing up there.

Shouting the phrase: "We're racist, we're sexist, we're homophobic", at people is out and out bullying and verbal assult. This seems to be the point of view of the far right of the liberal party, who are out the get rid of the view of the party that are well - "liberal".

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2006/s1686147.htm
I'm a member of the scary 'far Christian right' (despite being agnostic and supporting rather liberal social views). That chant is quite clearly taking the piss, and how is saying such things bullying or verbal assault? It's not specifically directed at anyone, whereas the labelling of Liberal party members as 'extremists', 'fascists', 'racists', 'homophobes', 'Nazis', 'sexists', 'bullies', etc would probably come closer to bullying and verbal assault than anything we've ever said.

Try to use a tiny bit more of your brain next time you watch the ABC and realise that every story has a fairly inherent bias, and it's in the station's interest to take things out of context or find random people who are prepared to make shit up (eg when John Hyde Page was asked if he knew of any specific examples of branch stacking he replied "oh, no specific examples, but, like, it happened all the time, ya know?")

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

withoutaface said:
- Paternity leave should be available (and equal to maternity leave), and either this or maternity leave should be able to waived (i.e. have this written into a contract) so as to improve a prospective employee's chances of securing a position.
The ability to waive parental leave might produce problematic circumstances if two people, who had no intent to have children, do, accidental or otherwise, both negotiated away their paternity leave, they either have the choice to negotiate this back, which places those who kept the option open and the employer at a disadvantage (particularly if this occured after training had finished) or quitting if they cannot negotiate this back which they would most likely attempt to do which seems a bit unfair towards the employer who would most likely take it as a sign that they would continue working should they or a partner have a child. While it may fit well into your ideology it would be better to not have parental leave as standard as opposed to paternity = maternity leave, that is since parental leave would be become a part of each individual contract it is pointless to suggest that paternity leave = maternity leave as they would be individual contracts.

Lorie

HSC

withoutaface said:
I'm a member of the scary 'far Christian right' (despite being agnostic and supporting rather liberal social views). That chant is quite clearly taking the piss, and how is saying such things bullying or verbal assault? It's not specifically directed at anyone, whereas the labelling of Liberal party members as 'extremists', 'fascists', 'racists', 'homophobes', 'Nazis', 'sexists', 'bullies', etc would probably come closer to bullying and verbal assault than anything we've ever said.

Try to use a tiny bit more of your brain next time you watch the ABC and realise that every story has a fairly inherent bias, and it's in the station's interest to take things out of context or find random people who are prepared to make shit up (eg when John Hyde Page was asked if he knew of any specific examples of branch stacking he replied "oh, no specific examples, but, like, it happened all the time, ya know?")
Taking the piss, i can't see the funny side of it to be honest with you. Taking the piss of what? people who believe in equal rights? yeah they should so be the victim of a bad form of satire or what ever the hell form of entertainmne they call that. I didn't label the liberal party racists or homophobes, they simply had it written on the back of their shirts and we're yelling it at an aborginal elder at a public event. And when promised they wouldn't do it again, they did it.

It is plain to see that the liberal part has been divied between the moderate more socially aware side and the conservative right in the party, and the program did expose one thing, the conservative side was branch stacking and is trying to gain a domaance in the party. Sure it may go on everywhere, on both sides, maybe i don't know.

If your trying to defend these extermise tactics as "taking the piss". maybe you should look at how liberal your views really are????

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Lorie said:
Taking the piss, i can't see the funny side of it to be honest with you. Taking the piss of what? people who believe in equal rights? yeah they should so be the victim of a bad form of satire or what ever the hell form of entertainmne they call that. I didn't label the liberal party racists or homophobes, they simply had it written on the back of their shirts and we're yelling it at an aborginal elder at a public event. And when promised they wouldn't do it again, they did it.
The shirts actually had "Hey Communists, shut the fuck up!" or something to that effect written on the back, I see no problem yelling at someone if you don't agree with what they say. Who promised what and when?
I believe in equality of opportunity, I also believe in taking the piss out of those who would dispute this fact.
It is plain to see that the liberal part has been divied between the moderate more socially aware side and the conservative right in the party, and the program did expose one thing, the conservative side was branch stacking and is trying to gain a domaance in the party. Sure it may go on everywhere, on both sides, maybe i don't know.
It actually explicitly said in the program that both sides were doing it, but as observed before you probably weren't paying close attention.
If your trying to defend these extermise tactics as "taking the piss". maybe you should look at how liberal your views really are????
My views are extremely liberal (in the classical sense of the word), and that's why I label myself right wing (i.e. highly in favour of both economic and social freedom).

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Lorie said:

Shouting people down is only alright if you do it to Tony Abbot, ok!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Politics is a rough game and being an individual and succesfull in politics is impossible... It's pretty clear that the competition and the thought of holding onto ones own identity will cause these sorts of clash's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)