• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students block people out of Education discussion (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They can cover the entrances to the actual auditoria fairly easily.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There are more than one way into main campus. In fact I can think three main entrances that would provide direct access to the lecture halls in question. Three entrances that 50 people, no matter how fat or feral, could never cover.
Wait, so the entrances to the lecture halls... are so wide, that with 3 of them 50 people cannot hold them? Anyway, address the next question also - once they get in there, what do they do about the students on the stage?

I think if Nelson really wanted to talk he could have. He would have had to have the protestors moved from the lecture hall however. The issue of people not being able to walk through a chain of people is just silly.
I do not know usyd very well, but I can't imagine a lecture theatre with 3 entrances so wide that 50 cannot hold them. Also as you acknowledged, to talk he would have to have them removed by force... which would have looked bad and IMO would have been heavy-handed.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
withoutaface said:
They can cover the entrances to the actual auditoria fairly easily.
I believe what NTB is complaing about is people standing in front of gates. So where are all these ferals. are they at the gate? Blocking cars and others stuff or in the lecture hall. They are everywhere dammit!

gerhard

HSC
not that bright? i am attempting to say that a protest can have a large amount of people without being violent

i am obviously not saying that if the police had asked the protestors to leave they would have, because whether the protestors decided to leave or decided to stay has nothing to do with violence. Both could have been carried out quite easily, non-violently. Violence has nothing to do with choosing to stay in a lecture theatre.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Wait, so the entrances to the lecture halls... are so wide, that with 3 of them 50 people cannot hold them? Anyway, address the next question also - once they get in there, what do they do about the students on the stage?
Have them removed. I dont think anyone was contesting that that would have been rough.

I dont think Nelson actually intends to speak at the universities for some time.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Then we have 50 students bitching to the papers about how heavy handed cops tried to silence their argument, and that's going to pan out real well for Nelson.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Then we have 50 students bitching to the papers about how heavy handed cops tried to silence their argument, and that's going to pan out real well for Nelson.
Most probably. People do not take well to voilent protests.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I believe what NTB is complaing about is people standing in front of gates.
No.. they were blocking access to the lecture theatre?

Both could have been carried out quite easily, non-violently.
You believe the protestors could have been removed non-violently? We're talking about sending police into a room and removing people, It would quite possibly be violent.

Have them removed. I dont think anyone was contesting that that would have been rough.
You know that if he had sent in police to remove them you would have been making a post on these forums "NELSON SILENCES DEMOCRACY! FASCISM!!!". Personally I wouldn't have liked to see the solution to the problem being the forceful removal of students.

I dont think Nelson actually intends to speak at the universities for some time.
See this is where it sounds like you're saying he plotted it.. Do you believe that he didn't really intend to go to this and he just wanted to make protestors look bad?

gerhard

HSC
I think Nelson didnt show because he heard there would be protests - not because he was worried about his personal safety, but the fact that a) the planned meeting would have been cancelled so its a waste of time and b) there would have been much more publicity given to the students cause.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Agreed, I don't think he really feared for his safety, but at the same time I don't think 'safe' is a word to describe his situation if he had gone there while those protestors were there.

Rorix

HSC
I'm really glad that the Education Minister was unable to deliver a speech on education standards due to these protests.

I totally see the relevance of the Minister's speech on education standards to his stance on student unionism.

I feel that this turnout is sure to communicate to the bigwigs in Canberra that students who didn't vote for the Coalition last election, aren't going to vote for the Coalition next election. The message is loud and clear.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaa aa

1. I'm sure Canberra already know how *students* feel..
2. I'm sure that the coalition... Like the rest of the entire fricking nation.. Don't care what university students think
Please don't post :(

Scanorama

HSC
Brandon Nelson is just a pussy. The protestors look pretty claim to me on the news, nothing violent at all. Im sure there are more than one entrance to the lecture hall. Im sure his boss - Johnny Howard has seen more than 50 protestors before.

Being an education minister and cant face students protest? weird.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Brandon Nelson is just a pussy.
No, YOU'RE A PUSSY!!!!

The protestors look pretty claim to me on the news, nothing violent at all.
Yea... well he wasn't there, what did they have to be violent about? their purpose was to stop him attending...

Im sure there are more than one entrance to the lecture hall.
Apparently there are 3, but still... even if u can somehow get through them, how do you get rid of the protestors?

Im sure his boss - Johnny Howard has seen more than 50 protestors before.

Yea he should of stormed down there and confronted em eh? :rolleyes:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Gough Whitlam said:
Brandon Nelson is just a pussy. The protestors look pretty claim to me on the news, nothing violent at all. Im sure there are more than one entrance to the lecture hall. Im sure his boss - Johnny Howard has seen more than 50 protestors before.

The whole point of the protest was to prevent him from speaking.

He could've forced the students out with police, and then it would've been very heavy-handed.

He could've handed out flowers to all of them, but that wouldn't have worked.

Or he could've acknowledged that he wouldn't be able to speak so didn't bother wasting the time.

walrusbear

HSC
looks like he found the opportunity to unleash this highly cynical comment:

smh said:
Dr Nelson says the protesters prevented the appearance from going ahead.

"The next time you hear people in universities saying they need more money, the average truck driver, shop assistant, plumber or gas fitter in Australia, just have a look at the television footage as to where your hard-earned taxes are going," he said.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well this is the sort of argument i've put forward before about the situation also, students are complaining that they are hard done by, but what about the people whom are out there working? It doesn't make sense to support students so much if you are not supporting workers enough.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well this is the sort of argument i've put forward before about the situation also, students are complaining that they are hard done by, but what about the people whom are out there working? It doesn't make sense to support students so much if you are not supporting workers enough.
what does that even mean?
what's this connection between students and workers??

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well alot of student protests have to do with the quality of the education they're recieving from the university, or the support they're getting from the government. There is a connection because everything is a balance, if you put more money into healthcare you have to take from somewhere else...

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well alot of student protests have to do with the quality of the education they're recieving from the university, or the support they're getting from the government. There is a connection because everything is a balance, if you put more money into healthcare you have to take from somewhere else...
how does that mean students aren't helping workers??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)