• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students to be taught there isn't a God in Victorian schools (2 Viewers)

HSC
you know what, i bet if the federal government banned all religion in schools, and closed down all religious schools, the majority of people in this country wouldnt give a two- hoots.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Iron said:
Yes they are. Christ is the foundational truth from which all other meaning flows. What you have is a headless beast of egoism
Out of the 19 major world religions (1 category being tribal religions) what makes you so certain that christ is the one. Homestly its like playing russian roulette with a 19 chamber revolver where 18 chambers are loaded (assuming there is a god).

I disagree what Victoria did, teaching of religion should be banned in schools, if parents want their kids to learn about religion they can do it in their own time and at their own expence.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think religious instruction is the most valuable thing a human being can have. It's not fair that we foster this hazy, aimless search for meaning which has the inevitable result of people believing that they themselves compose all truth and nothing external to them is any greater. It's not only a tragic surrender of all things civilized and noble, but it's a recipe for disaster, catastrophe, anarchy. A world of selfish individuals refusing to love, to respect life, to heed to TRUTH. Community will collapse, government will breakdown, family will be dismantled. The end of the world as we know it

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
I think religious instruction is the most valuable thing a human being can have. It's not fair that we foster this hazy, aimless search for meaning which has the inevitable result of people believing that they themselves compose all truth and nothing external to them is any greater. It's not only a tragic surrender of all things civilized and noble, but it's a recipe for disaster, catastrophe, anarchy. A world of selfish individuals refusing to love, to respect life, to heed to TRUTH. Community will collapse, government will breakdown, family will be dismantled. The end of the world as we know it
That's one hell of a slope.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Well done morons. Let's enforce another belief on our students in an attempt to stop enforcing a belief on our students.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No one fights me anymore. I cant breathe. Wind out of my sails

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Iron said:
wow.

have you ever been taught that there are some people who don't believe in having imaginary friends in the sky and don't go out and shoot everyone they see?

because they exist you know.

lol at the "it's not fair" - 'it's not fair' that we have people shoving their beliefs down our throats when we don't want to hear them.

there's also this thing called positivity. try it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You say "their beliefs" as if they are arbitrary ones relative to any other.
We're talking fundamental truth here. It has a very valid, if not central, place in any decent education

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Well done morons. Let's enforce another belief on our students in an attempt to stop enforcing a belief on our students.
wut?

the statement "there is no evidence for god" isn't a belief, it's just a fact

like "the earth orbits the sun" is a fact, u don't have to believe in it, it's just true

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
You say "their beliefs" as if they are arbitrary ones relative to any other.
We're talking fundamental truth here. It has a very valid, if not central, place in any decent education
How do you know its the truth?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
nikolas said:
How do you know its the truth?
That's not even the point. Depriving children of a professional introduction into absolutism could not be more important, whether they reject it or not. I think that public schools should present it neutrally- and they do. But to simply drum into precious children that there are no absolutes is fucking dangerous and downright political

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
That's not even the point. Depriving children of a professional introduction into absolutism could not be more important, whether they reject it or not. I think that public schools should present it neutrally- and they do. But to simply drum into precious children that there are no absolutes is fucking dangerous and downright political
But drumming in the that opposing point of view is correct is all fine and dandy... amirite?

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
But to simply drum into precious children that there are no absolutes is fucking dangerous and downright political
Why?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's not even like that - we're talking about teaching something or not teaching something. There is no 'opposing view' to religion other than no religion. I think it's bizarre that we would simply cut such a huge field of education out of the frame. I thought that even atheists would want to give their children the opportuity to engage in the meaty, rewarding religous debates we have on here - rather than be totally alienated from an intelligent discussion of perhaps the greatest human instinct

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Kwayera said:
I previously explained the problem of having no foundation for truth. It might be different if we were highly nationalistic like the Chinese, but we're not. Only corporations can fill the void of truthlessness, and they obviously flip it back to the consumer and feed them false flattery which masks exploitation

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I wouldn't call it the greatest human instinct - the greatest human brainfart, maybe.

If my kids want to participate, that is their choice - when they are old enough to make that choice for themselves.

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
It's not even like that - we're talking about teaching something or not teaching something. There is no 'opposing view' to religion other than no religion. I think it's bizarre that we would simply cut such a huge field of education out of the frame. I thought that even atheists would want to give their children the opportuity to engage in the meaty, rewarding religous debates we have on here - rather than be totally alienated from an intelligent discussion of perhaps the greatest human instinct
I am opposed to this just as i am opposed to religion being taught in school. Both are a waste of precious school time.

If parents want their children brainwashed let it happen at their local church.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
I previously explained the problem of having no foundation for truth. It might be different if we were highly nationalistic like the Chinese, but we're not. Only corporations can fill the void of truthlessness, and they obviously flip it back to the consumer and feed them false flattery which masks exploitation
I don't know about you, but I don't need the validation of something that doesn't exist, and the framework of lies woven around it, to determine "truth".

EDIT: Actually, I suspect I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm adult enough to admit it. *shrug*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)