Students to be taught there isn't a God in Victorian schools (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Raven3333 said:
if parents want their kids to learn about religion they can do it in their own time and at their own expence.
I disagree.
A better idea would be to force the kids to learn about each of the major religions in turn, spending perhaps four weeks on each before moving on. Catholicism, Anglicism, Atheism, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism. 40 weeks of school per year, which means about 5 lessons (assuming it's on lesson per week) per religion. Then let the little rats choose.
Religious education cannot be left to the parents, because 95% of parents would just teach the child their own religion and no more. Education is path to freedom from religion.

EDIT: and yes, i'm well aware that Catholicism and Anglicism are part of the same religion, but they're already taught separately (or they were at my school), so why disrupt the status quo?

boris

Banned
HSC
lol fuck the mighty boosh are funny. i got the mighty boosh live the other day, vince kicked a racoons face off its body onto jesus's face.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
the kid's should not be taught this they should be educated about religions and the athiest's standpoint and allowed to make there own decisions about what they will believe

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Exphate said:
Religion is an extra curricular activity (outside HSC SOR) and shouldn't be taught in schools.

kbye.
Sport's an extra-curricular activity, and yet they still make you do PE. Ditto for sex, but we still have sex-ed. Knitting and sowing could be said the same, but they're both taught in D&T.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
moll. don't act smart and stop making things complicated. religion should not be in the school curricula. got that, huh?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
big8oyjames said:
moll. don't act smart and stop making things complicated. religion should not be in the school curricula. got that, huh?
Scripture should not be taught in schools. Scripture of course being where they teach you about your own religion and leave you in blind ignorance as to anyone elses belief systems.
Religion, meanwhile, is one of the most defining influences upon world affairs and is frequently a cause for division, hatred and violence. Little bit of wisdom on the subject wouldn't go astray. See my response about 5 replies above as to how this could work.

HSC
Uni Grad
Will Shakespear said:
:D

dawkins ftw
All hail Darwin's Rotweiller, I prefer Pitbull Terrier actually.

:)

I was actually being sarcastic but never mind. I'm not a Dawkins fan.

As to whether religion should be taught in schools, I think it should be optional. So if a kid wants to learn more about a religion be it Christianity or Buddhism amongst others outside of Studies of Religion, which is confined mostly by the syllabus, they can. If they don't, then they can have the option not to.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
moll. said:
Religion, meanwhile, is one of the most defining influences upon world affairs and is frequently a cause for division, hatred and violence. Little bit of wisdom on the subject wouldn't go astray. See my response about 5 replies above as to how this could work.
You know, I actually agree with you.

E

Empyrean444

P.T.F.E said:
bloody hell whats the world coming to, fair enough to leave out the whole God thing but to teach there is no evidence...
CAUSE THERE IS NO FUCKING EVIDENCE HENCE Y IT IS CALLED FAITH
its sad to see society crumbling as such the thing is as a country we hav no major religious stand anymore and it cause people to become materilistic and secular so if everyone is dead against religion dont celebrate easter or christmas because u probably dont even no the reason y we celebrate, it is sad from my point of veiw.
religion is one of the most acient practices soon it will no longer be, otherwise we will or be muslim.
Yes. We won't have any more holy wars. What a shame.
Anyway, the Catholic Church has been and still is materialistic.
You seem to be one of those people who think that a faith makes a better person of someone, which is a falsity.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
we in NSW get taught to that effect

not as explicitly athiestically though.

we just get taught about the big bang theory, then move on

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
but what if people go to christian or some sort of religious school? it has to be expected there.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Kwayera said:
You know, I actually agree with you.
It's nice to have the support of one of the old school BoSers for once. :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
gibbo153 said:
we in NSW get taught to that effect

not as explicitly athiestically though.

we just get taught about the big bang theory, then move on
Get taught to what effect?
Cos you go to my old school and it was far from objective. Scripture, once a week for a term each year, for the first four years. In scripture, we get the choice between Anglican or Catholic scripture. Or we can opt out with our parents permission and spend a boring hour in the CCC getting told to shut up and do some work.
Only time you learn about the Big Bang is as they glance over it in the junior years (along with the theory of evolution). I suppose you would go into more detail in physics, but only a quarter of our grade did that subject, leaving the other three-quarters in the dark.
Yeah, real unbiased.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
The Eagle456840 said:
All hail Darwin's Rotweiller, I prefer Pitbull Terrier actually.

:)

I was actually being sarcastic but never mind. I'm not a Dawkins fan.

As to whether religion should be taught in schools, I think it should be optional. So if a kid wants to learn more about a religion be it Christianity or Buddhism amongst others outside of Studies of Religion, which is confined mostly by the syllabus, they can. If they don't, then they can have the option not to.
But then a child would only choose to learn about the religion which their parents and local holy man have shoved down their throat. People by their very nature never embrace chance, so why would they willingly learn about something if it could change them and their outlook upon life?
Also, junior students have no interest in willingly learning. They just want to goof off. So they would choose the class they're familiar with so they don't have to pay attention.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Exphate said:
Add to this the hour a week in primary school.

Unless of course, that's what you mean by "old school" lol.
Nah, i was talking about high school.
But i cant remember doing scripture in primary school.
Although, i probably wasn't paying attention. Nor was I purposely antagonising the teacher and looking for conflict. I was a little shit as a junior.
There was a group of about 20 guys in my grade who would all go to the one class just to try and pick a (verbal) fight with the teacher. But the grade below us, Gibbo's grade, for some reason became massively Christian-leaning and thus earned our eternal hatred.

nikolas

HSC
Exphate said:
Oh man, how I hated Catholic Scripture.

Cool prayer time and scripture teacher with one finger and one thumb.
hehe i liked scripture, biggest bludge ever. Sitting there coloring pictures of jebus on a donkey.

larahrah

HSC
John Oliver said:
Humanism, as far as I can recall, was not touched upon.

religion and non-religion is a topic for sor2, at the moment at least. humanism was explored in it

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I welcome the change.

Parents shouldn't be forced to make their kids go to scripture if that isn't their faith, that's just plain common sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)