Study Schedule for 99+ atar (1 Viewer)

Tonima09

HSC
Hey everyone. This is directed to those who have already finished hsc, especially those who received an atar over 99. I just started year 12 and doing 12 units including 4U maths, chem, advanced english and business. (Did biology and 2U maths hsc this year). I was wondering what your schedules were like and how many hours of study you put in a day, including breaks, exercise and sleep. I'm trying to make a schedule that involves 5 hours of study. 6 hours of sleep and one hour for exercise. However, I know it will be hard to maintain. If you have/had a good schedule to get a 99+ atar, please tell me :)

mrskheir

HSC
Hey Toni, just keep doing what you doing and you'll be fine love! BTW you need 7 hours of sleep a day for optimal brain function. Have a good HSC year hope to see you soon. :alone:

blast92

Aim: 85+
HSC
Why only 6 hours sleep? Try and get at least 8 hours especially since you just started it's only going to get harder...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
My estimate was over 99 but I never had a strict schedule for myself throughout the year because it didn't work for me. I think definitely keep at least 30 minutes of exercise in for 5 days a week, it really clears out your head and relaxes you (even during the HSC exam period I'm still making sure I get at least 1 hour of physical activity in)

There is no set amount of study you should do a day; I did how much ever work I could handle a day. Some days I was really ceebs so I only did 1-2 hours, other days I was very motivated so that was like 4-5. It really depends on what you need and how much you can realistically get done.

In terms of sleep, aim for at least 7. There is no point in overworking yourself if you're not going to give your body the break it needs to function properly. I often slept at 11-12 and got up for school at about 6:30 (or 5:30 for morning class NOT FUN) and the days I didn't get enough sleep were truly a struggle.

tldr; know your limits and set achievable aims for how much work you want to get done everyday. Don't push yourself too much otherwise you'll burn out.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
ALSO before I forget, always leave time for family and friends. HSC is not do all end all and its really important to maintain your relationships with those around you because those keep you sane. (I think I was the most social I've ever been this year!) Also do extra curricula or you will go crazy. I did SRC and two sports this year as well, and they were extremely rewarding experiences :)

iStudent

HSC
I might get 99. I didn't really adhere to a strict timetable (it always failed haha). Rather I set myself daily, doable goals and planned this in advance. Oh, and if you want to study all out - DO IT DURING YOUR HOLIDAYS. Too often I kept finding myself running out of time during the term to work ahead or doing past papers because of the exams that often start at week 5/6 (and so you needed to start preparing for them as early as week 3..)
I'm not a heavy exerciser, but I always had minimum 8 hours of sleep and because of my daily goals i decided when and how I take breaks.

zhertec

HSC
As a fellow student I advise that the amount of sleep should be greater than your workload, at least around 8 hours cause it really helps you absorb information in class. Also make the schedule realistic and both enjoying for you as well as less strenuous, because at the moment (not being a pessimist or cursing you or whatever) you might burn out fairly quickly which is the worst thing you want to do in y12 (personal experience from y11 end of yearlies). For studying, generally people do around 2-3 hours of solid studying, while the rest is moderate to light studying, you're still learning the subject etc in this time frame, but you are putting less strain on yourself.
And as Rumble said, don't sacrifice relationships for study, cause who knows? One day they might have some knowledge that you don't and then is when the time you start snaking dem ranks xD

Anyways, all the best for year 12!!

Thank_You

HSC
ALSO before I forget, always leave time for family and friends. HSC is not do all end all and its really important to maintain your relationships with those around you because those keep you sane. (I think I was the most social I've ever been this year!) Also do extra curricula or you will go crazy. I did SRC and two sports this year as well, and they were extremely rewarding experiences :)
WOW fml. I stopped doing sport went out more, but near like few months before exams didn't even go out and see friends :( YET i will not get above 95 ATAR. Like how did you manage to balance everything how?! I know I cant do anything to change it now, but you obviously scheduled everything right

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
WOW fml. I stopped doing sport went out more, but near like few months before exams didn't even go out and see friends :( YET i will not get above 95 ATAR. Like how did you manage to balance everything how?! I know I cant do anything to change it now, but you obviously scheduled everything right
I think my busy schedule made sure I didn't have time to procrastinate. I was always doing something so I worked very hard to make sure my time was prioritised well enough. I didn't go out during crucial exam periods, but I would go out at least once a week with people, e.g. to dinners, birthday parties or like see Vivid, etc. I think you also need to make sure you nail what your assessment tasks require of you to achieve a really good internal rank that sets you up for HSC.

It's more about using your time really well and effectively.

IR

HSC
Why only 6 hours sleep? Try and get at least 8 hours especially since you just started it's only going to get harder...
6 hrs if perfect. I usually used to get 5.5 hrs but wouldnt recommend 5.5. 7 would be more than enough. 6 is optimal- worked well for my brain to function.

Thunderstorm

HSC
While we got the experts here, how did you manage time effectively between Study Notes, assessments/assignments and homework? I feel like I should be keeping up with notes, but homework in particular, is chewing up a lot of time? Advice?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
about sleep - it works in 1.5 hour patterns where you go through light sleeping,deep sleep, and rapid eye movement sleeping and altogether this takes 1.5 hours ish. THis repeats over and over every 1.5 hours while you are asleep. That means tthat if you wake up in the middle of one of these cycles, that you will be more tired and not energised because you have interrupted the pattern. I always try to time my sleep into these patterns i.e 6, 7.5, 9 hours. My favourite is 7.5 hrs which is perfect for me. If 6 hours works for you then thats ok, but i suggest a bit longer because the HSC is big and your brain needs rest.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Feel free to check our my senior study guide:http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html -contains basically everything I did in year 12 to get a 99+ ATAR, but there really is no fixed formula to get 99+ ATAR, otherwise there won't be so many different books and guides on ATAR secrets and successes, at the end of the day, it is not the hours of study as so much as the efficiency of your study. Consistency in both study habits and perseverance towards your goals is absolutely essential to achieve long term academic success. Best wishes for your HSC journey:)

Moist

HSC
6 hours of sleep? What the fuck? You need to sleep for at least 8 - don't burn yourself out, nothing good will come of it. You'll find yourself exhausted and unable to concentrate, and that'll hurt you more than having a few less study hours because you're sleeping.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
While we got the experts here, how did you manage time effectively between Study Notes, assessments/assignments and homework? I feel like I should be keeping up with notes, but homework in particular, is chewing up a lot of time? Advice?
Prioritise. I always made sure I worked on the subjects I was weakest at and got all the concepts and basics solidified for those. I made sure I did chunks of assessments everyday and set realistic aims of when to get certain tasks completed. Ie finish writing drafts of this essay by the end of the week etc. I did a lot of my notes in the holidays because I had no homework to do then but try and get some notes done throughout the term so studying isn't as stressful during trials and HSC.

Tonima09

HSC
Thank you so much to everyone that replied! I will make note and fix my schedule. I see now that more sleep in necessary. I have been doing 4U maths for one week and I'm already struggling to fit my other subjects around it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)