Studying ONLY two units of prelim course for HSC (1 Viewer)

pewpew

HSC
N/A
hi, im wondering does the board of studies allow me study only 2 units,which is General Math, in a school/TAFE even though i've got my prelim certificate in 2007 for studying 12 units? ,because after having a look at most of the uni courses, it seems that maths is highly recommended, and im considering redoing my HSC for the sake of the long term, this thought has been in my mind ever since i started yr 12, and its been hindering my performance because of it.

ps. i know this question sounds absurd considering that the HSC test is on within days, but please stick to topic

sw8mp

HSC
most courses says maths as assumed knowledge only, unless its a prerequisite, then you will need it, besides general maths is really simple stuff and there are always bridging courses and revision classes before uni starts, i think you should just concentrate on the hsc now.

pewpew

HSC
N/A
but is it still possible to study only 2 units for my prelim course, even though i've completed 12 units and received a certificate, because i'd realised general maths is way easier than legal studies, and my poor legal studies marks brought down my confidence hence bringing down the score of the other subjects too, btw if anyone here does both general maths and legal studies, can you tell me which has more TESTS rather than ASSIGNMENTS and which one is easier in your opinion

sw8mp

HSC
think it is possible for the hsc course but not the prelim.

i think maths would have more tests rather than assignments because of the nature of the subject.

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
pewpew said:
can you tell me which has more TESTS rather than ASSIGNMENTS and which one is easier in your opinion
I don't do any of these but what i can tell you is that it really depends on the school.

In my school, people who do maths (general, 2U and 3U) only do a half-yearly and a yearly exam. People who do maths also don't do any assignments.

For legal however, there were around 3-4 tests and a few assignments.

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
At my school, we HAVE to have at least one assignment for maths, so students in 2U/3U and 4U get an assignment - a speaking task where they identify common errors students make in the HSC - same q every year (one of the advantages of being accelerated :p).

But all the other assessments are exams - because as said - it's the nature of the topic.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
the-derivative said:
At my school, we HAVE to have at least one assignment for maths, so students in 2U/3U and 4U get an assignment - a speaking task where they identify common errors students make in the HSC - same q every year (one of the advantages of being accelerated :p).
LOL??? thats so weird and strange, we dont hav anything like that, we just had 3 maths exams this year thats all
and @OP: i'm not too sure i know wat u mean but i think u can, theres people in our school that are doing prelim units in the hsc year but with a totally different reason, coz they didn't complete 12 units in prelim

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Maths assignments seem like a waste of time.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aplus said:
Maths assignments seem like a waste of time.
It'd be fun researching on the history of mathematics with each mathematicians' contributions :D. I'd prefer a maths assignment than chapters of cambridge lol.

Robin Hood

HSC
We have 3 assignments for maths, 3 topic tests covering the whole area of which we study and half-yearlys and yearlys.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
pewpew said:
hi, im wondering does the board of studies allow me study only 2 units,which is General Math, in a school/TAFE even though i've got my prelim certificate in 2007 for studying 12 units? ,because after having a look at most of the uni courses, it seems that maths is highly recommended, and im considering redoing my HSC for the sake of the long term, this thought has been in my mind ever since i started yr 12, and its been hindering my performance because of it.

ps. i know this question sounds absurd considering that the HSC test is on within days, but please stick to topic
hi i can tell you from experience you have to do 12 units or do pathways where you study 6 units 2 of english and 4 of anything else discuss this with your school cause you only do one year of schooling as opposed to the 2 years, but i can tell that repeating the 2 years is actually nothing to bad.

but speak to the BOS email them this query.

but from what i was told by them you have to do 12 or pathways and for pathways they want a really really good reason, mine was a similar reason to yours and they said it was not good enough that i didn't do the "right" subjects in the first place so i have to do the 2 years again, which is not soo bad.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
marcquelle said:
hi i can tell you from experience you have to do 12 units or do pathways where you study 6 units 2 of english and 4 of anything else discuss this with your school cause you only do one year of schooling as opposed to the 2 years, but i can tell that repeating the 2 years is actually nothing to bad.

but speak to the BOS email them this query.

but from what i was told by them you have to do 12 or pathways and for pathways they want a really really good reason, mine was a similar reason to yours and they said it was not good enough that i didn't do the "right" subjects in the first place so i have to do the 2 years again, which is not soo bad.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177518&highlight=repeat+hsc+again

hopefully this will help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)