Studying Tips (1 Viewer)

lil jenny

HSC
Hi all :) I was wondering if anyone could teach me how to study and tips on studying successfully because I totally suck when it comes to studying -_-

Kulazzi

HSC
revise what u've learnt, at school, each arvo on each topic
read over your notes and summarise them so then you don't cramp for exams

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i dont study except befores tests. just read through stuff, highlight bits n pieces write out summaries, find out what works best 4 u and do that

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
You should study every day, as my teacher says, "The amount of school work done in school should be the same amount as done at home"

Dont just study when you have to, like before exams or assessments, it works for some people but not for everyone.

Go through the syllabus and write out the dot points, buy extra textbooks on your subject and do practise questions out of them.

Go over past papers in exam conditions, make notes and summaries. Make sure you have everything organised and you know where everything is.

A good idea is to get two arch folders, one for Year 11 work and one for Year 12. Put dividers in each for your subjects and only put work in there that is relevant (no homework for example goes in there unless it is important). I put in my summaries, syllabus dot points, worksheets from class and my tests with results.

The first step is to get motivated. Try imagining yourself coming first in the class, all that hard work being payed off. If you have come first in the class or close to it, put the result somewhere in your room where you will see it from your desk (or wherever you study)

Try studying at least 1 and a half hours a night. This can include questions from class in maths you didn't get time to do, extra questions, homework, etc.

EDIT: One more tip, as soon as you get an assessment that you have to do at home, start it straight away. You'll find its much easier doing 20-30mins a day than cram it in and do a crappy job of it and having to hand it in the next day.

Oh and use your holidays effectively, study every day if possible, but also have a good time. You'll be surprised at how many of the people in your grade study during the holidays, l know many people don't.

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
lol - yup - like fully detailed compared to the two lines I wrote

But it's a good thing -----> more options and is great advice

I'm thinking abt the two arch folders idea

:D :D :D :)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Kulazzi
lol - yup - like fully detailed compared to the two lines I wrote

But it's a good thing -----> more options and is great advice

I'm thinking abt the two arch folders idea

:D :D :D :)
Heh, thanks :)

I use the two arch folders thing, but l don't take them to school, l leave them at home. If l took them to school my arm would probably break due to all of the things l have in there.

I take small A4 folders, or A4 folder files (plastic folders with a clear cover) to school and l empty them out every once in a while when they get full. Someone at my school has a A4 folder which she has everything in and she carries it around all day. The only problem with this is if you drop it, you have to reorganise everything.

Also cover your folders with pictures and photos to make them more appealing :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Misturi
You should study every day, as my teacher says, "The amount of school work done in school should be the same amount as done at home"

Dont just study when you have to, like before exams or assessments, it works for some people but not for everyone.

Go through the syllabus and write out the dot points, buy extra textbooks on your subject and do practise questions out of them.

Go over past papers in exam conditions, make notes and summaries. Make sure you have everything organised and you know where everything is.

A good idea is to get two arch folders, one for Year 11 work and one for Year 12. Put dividers in each for your subjects and only put work in there that is relevant (no homework for example goes in there unless it is important). I put in my summaries, syllabus dot points, worksheets from class and my tests with results.

The first step is to get motivated. Try imagining yourself coming first in the class, all that hard work being payed off. If you have come first in the class or close to it, put the result somewhere in your room where you will see it from your desk (or wherever you study)

Try studying at least 1 and a half hours a night. This can include questions from class in maths you didn't get time to do, extra questions, homework, etc.

EDIT: One more tip, as soon as you get an assessment that you have to do at home, start it straight away. You'll find its much easier doing 20-30mins a day than cram it in and do a crappy job of it and having to hand it in the next day.

Oh and use your holidays effectively, study every day if possible, but also have a good time. You'll be surprised at how many of the people in your grade study during the holidays, l know many people don't.
nah it was good u sort of helped ppl including me., i mean itz never gonna happen ( all that work) bu it is nice to know what i should be doing!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by *girl04*
nah it was good u sort of helped ppl including me., i mean itz never gonna happen ( all that work) bu it is nice to know what i should be doing!
Thats good that it helped. I don't exactly follow that plan (although l should) but l do put in 2 hours a night if possible.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC

I'd do somethign like that if I had any reason to. My home assignments are only for history, and I always get 19 or 20, doing them the night before and staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning if necessary. So no motivation to get started early there.
P.S im in year 12
P.P.S yes i know i should know better.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Go late night history winning team!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Josie
I'd do somethign like that if I had any reason to. My home assignments are only for history, and I always get 19 or 20, doing them the night before and staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning if necessary. So no motivation to get started early there.
P.S im in year 12
P.P.S yes i know i should know better.
meh, im in uni and still dont know better!

Kulazzi

HSC
Heh, thanks :)

I use the two arch folders thing, but l don't take them to school, l leave them at home. If l took them to school my arm would probably break due to all of the things l have in there.

At our school, the senior trend is to carry a folder with all your subjects in it and all these girls have the huge chunky 2, 3 , 4 binder ones but I only carry a small 2 binder one (so I don't have to like carry a heavy folder when I don't need it - that is the subjects i don't have on that day) I only put in the books that I need on the day in my folder and carry my textbooks (i have 3 altogether) in my bag.

And plus the girls like slam down their folders after they've been carrying for a long period of time and that like wrecks the binders so they have to buy a new folder and redecorate it
(my baby cousin threw mine on the floor, he's only 15 months and so now one of the binders are wreck :p)

GaryYang88

HSC
N/A
think about wat u hav learnt during the day before in bed. dis hels u sleep fast and revise

Merforga

Never study till the minute you're about to sleep. Always have at least 1/2 an hour cool down time before you sleep otherwise you'll be hell tired the next day ^^

= Jennifer =

HSC
Originally posted by Kulazzi
revise what u've learnt, at school, each arvo on each topic
read over your notes and summarise them so then you don't cramp for exams
easier said then done....or maybe you are doing it...maybe i just can't manage time very well

basically what uve learnt is that every1 studies differently.
and u have to get ur own study method
ur still in yr 11, plenty of time to find out what works best for you

personally i think cramming is great
its a skill u have to learn, surprisingly
once u know how, its great!

KarmaKitten

HSC
do your summaries early, dont leave them till exams. then learn dot points each night and try to revise everything once in a while

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)