Stuffed up the essay for english :( (1 Viewer)

torylearn

HSC
N/A
So we've got our yearly prelim results back for english (area of study)

Creative writing: 12/15
Unseen texts-14/15
Essays- 6/15

We haven't got our module marks back though.

With the essay I had prepared practice essays and memorised alot of quotes and techniques, Although I still had difficulty answering the essay question.

meggles_

HSC
Calm down you're in year 11
You've still got a long time to improve until HSC

Was the essay question difficult?

torylearn

HSC
N/A
Calm down you're in year 11
You've still got a long time to improve until HSC

Was the essay question difficult?
I am calm just a bit disappointed

I found my quotes hard to relate back to the question, bsing only got me so far lol

meggles_

HSC
I am calm just a bit disappointed

I found my quotes hard to relate back to the question, bsing only got me so far lol
I didn't mean to come across as rude in my previous comment :S
Don't let prelims get you down though! :) I have many friends who didn't do too well in year 11 but are acing English now in year 12

Yes the 'memorise quotes and techniques method' is a good method for English in my opinion, as long as it is structured
If you felt like you couldn't link your quotes back to the question, maybe you didn't cover enough of the quotes in the scope of the text and its themes/concepts/ideas - perhaps you didn't have a substantial thesis which was supported by your quotes - in that case, maybe the thesis wasn't adapted enough to fit your quotes if that makes sense
Preparing practice essays is also a good idea, so good job on doing those - maybe take a look through your practice essay and see where you could perfect your response?

Keep practising! :) You'll get there

astroman

HSC
you'r creative and unseen are pretty good, you still have a year to improve your essay writing skills

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Have a read through this guide if you haven't already:) http://community.boredofstudies.org...21953/crobats-guide-hsc-english-advanced.html

Remember, as important as it is to understand quotes and concepts in your text, it is vital that you answer the given question-which means you must always plan before you write an essay (this is a tip which many people don't follow). If you start learning how to adapt your knowledge to different essay questions, the better you answer the question, along with a strong balanced essay structure, the better your marks will be-best of luck:)

torylearn

HSC
N/A
Have a read through this guide if you haven't already:) http://community.boredofstudies.org...21953/crobats-guide-hsc-english-advanced.html

Remember, as important as it is to understand quotes and concepts in your text, it is vital that you answer the given question-which means you must always plan before you write an essay (this is a tip which many people don't follow). If you start learning how to adapt your knowledge to different essay questions, the better you answer the question, along with a strong balanced essay structure, the better your marks will be-best of luck:)
Thanks strawberry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)