• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

stupid permutations (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I think it might be <sup>8</sup>C<sub>4</sub>/(2<sup>8</sup> - 2) since the question asks for '2 groups' so you need discard the two cases where you have all 8 people in one group or the other.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Sorry, I should have given some sort of explanation.

In order to work out the total number of ways that one can arrange 8 people into two groups you should consider each individual person and let the two groups be group A and group B. For each person there are two options: either they go into group A or they go into group B. If you drew a tree diagram of this each branch would become two branches (since you have 2 options at each decision point where a person is put into A or B). This gives you:

2x2x...x2 = 2<sup>8</sup> ways , but you have to subtract the cases where all 8 people are in group A or all 8 are in group B so the number of ways to divide 8 people between two groups is (2<sup>8</sup> - 2)

When working out the number of ways to split the people into 2 groups of 4 it's probably easier to think about the selection of only one group. I'm sure that you agree that the number of ways you can make a group of 4 from 8 people is <sup>8</sup>C<sub>4</sub>. What you'll realise if you think about it is that for every group you have selected, the group that you have left behind is also a group of 4 and that as your selected group cycles through every possible option so does the group that is left behind.

The answer you end up with is: <sup>8</sup>C<sub>4</sub>/(2<sup>8</sup> - 2)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)