Subject choices for yr12 (1 Viewer)

stF-vampyre

HSC
hey guys, so wandering, what subjects is everybody doing for next year? Keeping 12units or dropping down to 10? How many major works, if any?

Also, i need an opinion. i knooowww everyone says it just depends on you, but just looking for some views. Currently doing 12 units, but one coarse is only 1u, so it gets dropped for year 12. so im on 11units. Im picking up Eng ext 2, and wandering wether i should drop drama OR maths.

Drama is just shitttloads of work, even right now, and if i do drama that puts me up to THREE major works for next year [Art, Ext 2, Drama]. and everyone says the maximum number of major works you should do is two, absolute max.

The thing is, drama for me- yes is ridiculous amounts of work, BUT much easier to do well in than maths.
And in the end, i need to do work pretty much a few nights a week for maths, which if i did this for drama id be in the 90's.

So, drop maths or drama?
subjects:
Ancient
Art
Eng adv
Eng ext 1 + 2
Maths/drama?

thanks guys!

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
stF-vampyre said:
hey guys, so wandering, what subjects is everybody doing for next year? Keeping 12units or dropping down to 10? How many major works, if any?

Also, i need an opinion. i knooowww everyone says it just depends on you, but just looking for some views. Currently doing 12 units, but one coarse is only 1u, so it gets dropped for year 12. so im on 11units. Im picking up Eng ext 2, and wandering wether i should drop drama OR maths.

Drama is just shitttloads of work, even right now, and if i do drama that puts me up to THREE major works for next year [Art, Ext 2, Drama]. and everyone says the maximum number of major works you should do is two, absolute max.

The thing is, drama for me- yes is ridiculous amounts of work, BUT much easier to do well in than maths.
And in the end, i need to do work pretty much a few nights a week for maths, which if i did this for drama id be in the 90's.

So, drop maths or drama?
subjects:
Ancient
Art
Eng adv
Eng ext 1 + 2
Maths/drama?

thanks guys!

I went to read what you said, but just stopped at the "hey guys, so wandering".

COME ON!! YOU'RE NOT THAT FUCKING DUMB

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
stF-vampyre said:

So, drop maths or drama?
subjects:
Ancient
Art
Eng adv
Eng ext 1 + 2
Maths/drama?

thanks guys!
I would drop maths, and place more effort in Drama. Achieving a 90+ in any subject will be highly beneficial to you in the HSc and if you do well in EE2, that will also help scale you high to boost up your UAI.

As for me... I'll be doing:
Mathematics Ext 1 (Accelerated - 08)| Mathematics Ext 2 | English (Adv) | Physics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I | HSC Distinction Course (Hopefully)

and I'll be dropping:
English Ext 1 | Studies of Religion II | Software Design and Development (undecided)

ratcher0071

HSC
I would say drop Drama. :wave:

I'm gonna do 10 units next year:
-Maths Ext 1
-Eng Advanced
-Physics
-Religion 1
-Software or Chem ???

I also don't know if I should drop software or chem :p
Waiting for results .......

Synergie

HSC
To answer your first question - in my opinion, drop to as little units as possible. Take me for example; for year12 I will only be doing 4 subjects/8units, leaving me time to focus on the two subjects that matter i.e. maths and english. I'm real into computers and they are my other two subjects for yr 12. so I can do them blind. The reason why I have only 8 units in yr12 is I accelerated IPT and dropped photography. Good times ahead! :p

ratcher0071

HSC
the-derivative said:
I'm undecided in dropping software as well...
Software... just seems so pointless to me.
Software is pointless, most of the course is theory.

SimonLee13

HSC
Doing 12 but i'll drop something halfway through depending on how well I do in them.

bored of sc

HSC
I'm so undecided :(

Definites:
- Advanced English
- Extension 2 Maths
- Music 1
- SOR 1

Unsure:
- Chemistry: Exam Mark - 69%, Overall Mark - 80%, Rank - 2nd
- PDHPE: Exam Mark - 94%, Overall Mark - 91%, Rank 1st

But I want to do Chemistry more since it is harder and will better prepare me for university but at the same time I don't want to throw away PDHPE (due to my performance). Anyone got any advice?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:

Definites:
- Advanced English
- Extension 2 Maths
- Music 1
- SOR 1

Unsure:
- Chemistry: Exam Mark - 69%, Overall Mark - 79%, Rank - 2nd

But I want to do Chemistry more since it is harder and will better prepare me for university but at the same time I don't want to throw away PDHPE (due to my performance). Anyone got any advice?
what do you like more?

madisonelise

HSC
bored of sc said:

Definites:
- Advanced English
- Extension 2 Maths
- Music 1
- SOR 1

Unsure:
- Chemistry: Exam Mark - 69%, Overall Mark - 78%, Rank - 2nd

Do PDHPE, obviously you are good at it and its all about as doing well as you can?? also you said that u like them both the same so do the one you are excelling in.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
@topic poster ~ I say keep drama and drop maths - since you're better at it and therefore might have a better chance for doing well in?

Maths takes alot of work I recon. You hafta be consistent in studying.

If you're good at drama, you can keep going at it and aim for a 90%+ in it ^^

(Just my uneducated opinion though!)

I really need help too. Needa decide before Friday; which I'm gonna be dropping and picking.

My Subjects:

(2u) English Adv
(1u) English Ext
(2u) Ancient History
(2u) Visual Arts
(2u) Japanese Continuers (OHS)

*(2u) French Beginners (OHS)
*(2u) Music 1

= 13 u

Now I'm wondering which subject to drop French OR Music.

Both teachers will prolly be disappointed when they hear lol.

I'm doing alright in French - I got an A for half yearly. But I have a hard time listening. I recon I'd get around an 85 for the HSC :/ Maybe even 90 if i study properly and do consistent work. Should I drop this and focus solely on Japanese?

As for Music, I lack in the practical aspects as I just started the subject this year. Beginner Piano LOL! Though I'm apparently topping the class in theory and viva voce assignments. I got a 85-ish% for half yearly. Sometimes I ask myself "why am doing music? i won't need it later on."

I dont know which to drop. OR should I drop both LMAO. That will make 3 teachers disappointed in total ;D

Now comes the other issue.

Should I pick up English Extension 2 AND Japanese Extension??

For Ext 2; would I be able to do a short animation? What quality would it have to be?

And Japanese Ext - is it really all that demanding?

I guess it all comes down to what I like, but I would still like some advice.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
For the HSC I think I'll do:
  • English Advanced
  • Japanese Continuers
  • Maths Ext 1
  • Maths Ext 2
  • Physics
Total 10 units

flowergrl

HSC
stF-vampyre said:

So, drop maths or drama?
subjects:
Ancient
Art
Eng adv
Eng ext 1 + 2
Maths/drama?

thanks guys!
If you want a high uai do maths and drop drama. scaling DOES make a difference.

Lyly

HSC
I'm keeping all my units the same :)

I kind of regret not choosing English Extension 2 though... I love writing short stories! But I absolutely could not handle 13 units, I want to focus on other subjects as well... oh well, plenty of time to write stuff after the HSC :p

Oh, and to the OP: Like the others say, if you want a really high UAI, go with maths provided you're willing to put quite a lot of time and effort into it (I don't mean studying it 24/7, but at LEAST an hour 5 nights a week)
If not, keep drama.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

shifty-Asian

HSC
Kaatie said:
dropping IPT despite being 2nd. im not really sure how rank matters though. seems like im the only one on here that does food technology... thoughts on that??
I'm doing FT and IPT too!
But im keeping IPT....and considering dropping FT or ext eng...

FT coz its soo much content and it doesnt even scale that well...
ext eng because i suck at it :(

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
Sure; Maths scales better than Drama, but a 60 in math shouldn't equate to a 90 in Drama. I dont know- mess around with a UAI calculator.

Do Drama. 3 Major Works is quite a load but if you think it through you can incorporate Drama and Extension 2 and make it quite easy on yourself.

As for me;
4 math, 4 eng, drama, legal, physics, SOR 1(2008).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)