Subject Selection Dilemma (1 Viewer)

mcromancer

HSC
Hi there, our subject selection forms are due at the start of term 3 and i was wondering if you could help me with my choices.

At the moment im thinking of doing:
3maths
3eng
2eco (accelerated)
... with 4 units still undecided.

Im thinking out of: modern, legal, chem or phys.

I hope to do Law in Uni.

Thanks in advance. :)

danal353

HSC
take chem and legal - love them both (legal cause its easy and kind of fun and chem because i've discovered its wonderful scaling)

hope_williams

HSC
scaling's overrated, there's no point in choosing chem just because it scales well if you don't like it as much as something else! If you want to do law, focus on humanities-- definitely modern. Legal isn't a necessity- it's kind of a non subject if you ask me. Everything you learn in that you do in firs tyear anyway. I would do chem and modern from your list.

danal353

HSC
she's right, you shouldn't pick scaling just cause it scales well... but if you do well in it it's a very good choice - i thought legal was my best subject - until i was told that unless i get 100 it will scale down (from 94 to 82 - which is quite a lot)

and considering you need anywhere from 95 to 99.55, you might want to take that into consideration. i don't regret picking legal studies though, and i think you should pick the subjects you know you'll be bothered to study for and will do well in

lychnobity

HSC
she's right, you shouldn't pick scaling just cause it scales well... but if you do well in it it's a very good choice - i thought legal was my best subject - until i was told that unless i get 100 it will scale down (from 94 to 82 - which is quite a lot)

and considering you need anywhere from 95 to 99.55, you might want to take that into consideration. i don't regret picking legal studies though, and i think you should pick the subjects you know you'll be bothered to study for and will do well in
This girl knows what she's talking about.

In all seriousness, I do chemistry and legal - never regretted it once.

I chose physics as well, but dropped, abhorrent subject it is.

hope_williams said:
scaling's overrated, there's no point in choosing chem just because it scales well if you don't like it as much as something else! If you want to do law, focus on humanities-- definitely modern. Legal isn't a necessity- it's kind of a non subject if you ask me. Everything you learn in that you do in firs tyear anyway. I would do chem and modern from your list.
If it's impossible for him/her to choose, scaling should come into effect somewhat, considering the scaling of legal, and how much effort is needed to get the same scaled mark (ie the one that contributes to the ATAR) in all subjects.

Last edited:

mcromancer

HSC
Yeh i'm thinking if i don't need legal for law, why do it? i'm sort of leaning towards doing chem and phys atm. The only reason i'm doing modern is that the essay styles may help with english and it's pretty interesting (unlike Aus. history).

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Yeh i'm thinking if i don't need legal for law, why do it? i'm sort of leaning towards doing chem and phys atm. The only reason i'm doing modern is that the essay styles may help with english and it's pretty interesting (unlike Aus. history).
I'm pretty sure you don't need legal for law, so why do it if it is uninteresting? If you're leaning towards chem and phys do it.

jonowang

HSC
just do whatever you want. pick something that you enjoy cos you're gonna be doing it for 2 yrs. no pt picking something thats boring and you dont enjoy cos thats gonna end up killing you

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Hi there, our subject selection forms are due at the start of term 3 and i was wondering if you could help me with my choices.

At the moment im thinking of doing:
3maths
3eng
2eco (accelerated)
... with 4 units still undecided.

Im thinking out of: modern, legal, chem or phys.

I hope to do Law in Uni.

Thanks in advance. :)
If you want to do Law, you should choose modern/legal. However, it doesn't hurt to do a science, so you can replace a science for one of the two. With that being said, if you can handle it, doing 14 units is also a viable option.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems you'll be aiming for a very high atar to get into Law (depending on whay university of course). Try and pay attention to scaling a bit... because the aligning of marks and scaling really does affect the end result, but focus on doing well.

That being said your subject selections are quite good and are good scaling. If you enjoy Physics and Chemistry as well as legal and modern, then choose the sciences for their better scaling and ease of marks. But if you'd prefer not to do the science, choose your legal studies.

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)