Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

geo1234

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of selecting my subjects for Year 11, as I will be completing the HSC in 2025. Right now I'm thinking:

1. Math Ext 1
2. Math Adv
3. English Adv
3. Chemistry
4. Biology
5. Physics or Legal
6. SOR1 (Compulsory)

All the others are pretty much locked in, bio because I'm interested in it and Chemistry because its a prerequisite for the Uni course I'm interested in (med). I'm kind of torn between choosing Physics or Legal. I'm probably more interested in Physics but I know that I can perform well in legal- because I'm currently taking commerce and am in around top 3. For some background information, I'm ranked top 3 at my school (not very competitive), around top 5 for maths and english, and top 3 for science. I am kind of worried that the workload for all 3 sciences will be too much.

Could anyone provide their opinion or any ideas about thing like how you find the subjects and recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
Do physics it’s fun

+yr10 commerce means nothing, you’re better of doing the subject you enjoy more since you’ll do better in it because of that anyway

workload will be hard in yr11 but yr11 doesn’t count anyway so it’s just good practice getting good at time organisation, and yr12 sciences are way more chill pace wise, and also more workload is kinda a good thing because it forces you to do more study to do well, and then doing well in harder subjects is better for you atar

geo1234

HSC
Do physics it’s fun

+yr10 commerce means nothing, you’re better of doing the subject you enjoy more since you’ll do better in it because of that anyway

workload will be hard in yr11 but yr11 doesn’t count anyway so it’s just good practice getting good at time organisation, and yr12 sciences are way more chill pace wise, and also more workload is kinda a good thing because it forces you to do more study to do well, and then doing well in harder subjects is better for you atar
In that case I'll probably do Physics instead of Legal, thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not take both Physics and Legal Studies in year 11? The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or your ATAR, making it an opportunity for you to experience the subjects that you are interested in and/or believe that you can perform well in at no expense. As you get closer to year 12, your experience of taking each subject will enable you to make an informed decision regarding the best subject combination to keep as you start year 12.

You are already aware of the subjects that are consistent with your future study interests, which means that you are likely to keep those subjects in year 12, so this is a good start. In terms of the ability to cope with the workload of 3 Science subjects, while it is generally not a simple task, every student is different. Therefore, the best way to determine whether you are capable of effectively managing the workload that comes with taking 3 Science subjects is to take 3 Science subjects. Similarly, if you believe that you will be able to perform favourably in Legal Studies, then it would be a good idea to take it and see whether this ends up being the case, as opposed to solely taking Physics (or vice-versa) and denying yourself the opportunity to determine the better subject for you.

I hope this helps! :D

geo1234

HSC
Why not take both Physics and Legal Studies in year 11? The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or your ATAR, making it an opportunity for you to experience the subjects that you are interested in and/or believe that you can perform well in at no expense. As you get closer to year 12, your experience of taking each subject will enable you to make an informed decision regarding the best subject combination to keep as you start year 12.

You are already aware of the subjects that are consistent with your future study interests, which means that you are likely to keep those subjects in year 12, so this is a good start. In terms of the ability to cope with the workload of 3 Science subjects, while it is generally not a simple task, every student is different. Therefore, the best way to determine whether you are capable of effectively managing the workload that comes with taking 3 Science subjects is to take 3 Science subjects. Similarly, if you believe that you will be able to perform favourably in Legal Studies, then it would be a good idea to take it and see whether this ends up being the case, as opposed to solely taking Physics (or vice-versa) and denying yourself the opportunity to determine the better subject for you.

I hope this helps! :D

I wish I could take all them both but my school is capping us at 12 units for some reason. If this wasn't the case I would def take both Physics and Legal then drop one in Yr 12. Thanks for the help.

carrotsss

HSC
I wish I could take all them both but my school is capping us at 12 units for some reason. If this wasn't the case I would def take both Physics and Legal then drop one in Yr 12. Thanks for the help.
Your school is dumb, more units is better in yr11 in case you don’t like 2 of ur subjects

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
yeh, our school has to have exactly 13, no more and no less. It was kinda annoying

in year 11 that was

geo1234

HSC
Your school is dumb, more units is better in yr11 in case you don’t like 2 of ur subjects
Yeah they control too much in the process. For example, students in 5.2 are forced to do either standard or drop math, and none are allowed to even try advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)