Subjects for Year 11 and 12, help please? (1 Viewer)

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Hey, So I live in New South Wales, Australia and am currently in Year 10 choosing subjects for Year 11 and 12 that also have to do with the HSC. Here they are:
- English Extension (1 Unit)
- English Advanced (2 Unit)
- Economics (2 Unit)
- Biology (2 Unit)
- Ancient History (2 Unit)
- Chemistry (2 Unit)
- General Math (2 Unit)
- Studies of Religion (1 Unit)

Do you think these subjects are to much of a workload? Also it totals to 14 Units while my schools says the recommendation is 13 units so what exactly can I do about that?
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you

starshine02

HSC
I would recommend against 14 with 13 being max. 14 just seems like a bit too much, even if you really enjoy those subjects. Is SoR compulsory?

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Yea, SoR is compulsory, I just don't know what to get rid off....

starshine02

HSC
Well I think it would be way less pressure on you if you dropped one of the 2unit subjects (not eng/maths). You should look into which subjects you truly enjoy or which ones you do the best in and how confident you are. I've known people who have done 14units in year 12 but several of them have ended up dropping down to around 11/12 units instead because of all the pressure and the amount of work you have to do. But if you really enjoy all subjects then just try your best :)

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Hi i do think that is alot to take on, however it depends how confident you are in all these subjects, in the end you want to end up doing well in all of them, however if you feel like one of these subjects may be your weak point i suggest you drop it. Also it depends which one you will end up enjoy.
Eng Ext 1 is like taking on Adv again, General maths is pretty good. I assume ull have to do religion. but look at econ, biology, chem and history. the subjects are pretty random you have both the science field and social science. choose of the the the ones you would like to do well in and most enjoy. :)
Thanks for the advice. Religion is compulsory, I generally enjoy all the subjects that I posted above but as I've asked more and more people they say that the workload and pressure will be just to much...

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Well I think it would be way less pressure on you if you dropped one of the 2unit subjects (not eng/maths). You should look into which subjects you truly enjoy or which ones you do the best in and how confident you are. I've known people who have done 14units in year 12 but several of them have ended up dropping down to around 11/12 units instead because of all the pressure and the amount of work you have to do. But if you really enjoy all subjects then just try your best :)
Thankyou for the advice. The subject that I like best is english and i was recommend for extension but I just think the pressure will get to much!

Alex242

HSC
N/A
How good are you in each of those subjects?
Well In year 10 so far:
English- 100% (this term and was therefore recommend for extension)
History- 100% (Have done consistently great in this subject since Year 8)
Commerce- 80% (I really enjoy it and would love to go to economics)
Maths- 70% (That's been my average mark since Year 7 for Maths)
Religon- 90% (SoR is compulsory so I don't have a say)
Science- 85% (I get mixed marks usually ranging from 65-95% and for the most of the times find it interesting)

starshine02

HSC
The subject that I like best is english and i was recommend for extension but I just think the pressure will get to much!
The subject I like best is english too! I like ext. better than eng adv tbh because the texts studied there is really interesting to me. Good luck

Aceitachi

HSC
Drop maths... it's the subject your not good at hence no point doing it... gonna waste your time, however if you like the subject don't drop it.

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Drop maths... it's the subject your not good at hence no point doing it... gonna waste your time, however if you like the subject don't drop it.
I'm not as good as I hoped I would be but I still want to do maths In Year 11/12 but that still leaves with my initial problem of 14 units.......

starshine02

HSC
Since maths is your worst I would suggest dropping maths but this also depends on what you may want to study in uni later on. Some science courses require at least 2 units of maths and dropping it completely may close off some options for you - unless you do bridging courses later on. Perhaps try to see which part of science you like better? Biology or Chemistry?

Thief

!!
HSC
I think you might regret doing 14units. Maybe you could drop a science?

Well actually, you could try 14units initially (if it works out on your school's timetable) and then drop a subject if the workload gets too much.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Thankyou for the advice. The subject that I like best is english and i was recommend for extension but I just think the pressure will get to much!
If you are going to do math, dont do general Math, seriously. Just pick 2U math, it really isnt that hard, and if you generally suck really badly at math, then drop it.

Dont do General Math on purpose it will be a mistake you will regret, just pick Mathematics and see how you go, if you do really badly, then drop to General, but there is no harm in trying Mathematics, it will help with your problem-solving and logic skills.

Alex242

HSC
N/A
Since maths is your worst I would suggest dropping maths but this also depends on what you may want to study in uni later on. Some science courses require at least 2 units of maths and dropping it completely may close off some options for you - unless you do bridging courses later on. Perhaps try to see which part of science you like better? Biology or Chemistry?
I'd rather not drop maths as I'm thinking about doing something that will require it and If i really took a long hard look I guess If I really really, really had to I could drop a science, although i would prefer not to..
Thanks for the advice!

pmescotty

HSC
Ide say you should start year 11 with the 14 units. Workout what you interested in and doing well at... then drop down to 12/13 units. Year 11, is all about trial n error, doing more units simply helps you out in the long run by not limiting your options, especially when your in year 10, and may wish to change down the track. However, i would reccomend dropping down to 10/11 units for the HSC in year 12.

Alex242

HSC
N/A
I think you might regret doing 14units. Maybe you could drop a science?

Well actually, you could try 14units initially (if it works out on your school's timetable) and then drop a subject if the workload gets too much.
I'm thinking that as well, but if I decide to drop Chem then what would i end up replacing it with because I would be left with 12 Units...

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
If you dont want to drop Math, then pick 2U Mathematics, no point in doing General Math.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hey, So I live in New South Wales, Australia and am currently in Year 10 choosing subjects for Year 11 and 12 that also have to do with the HSC. Here they are:
- English Extension (1 Unit)
- English Advanced (2 Unit)
- Economics (2 Unit)
- Biology (2 Unit)
- Ancient History (2 Unit)
- Chemistry (2 Unit)
- General Math (2 Unit)
- Studies of Religion (1 Unit)

Do you think these subjects are to much of a workload? Also it totals to 14 Units while my schools says the recommendation is 13 units so what exactly can I do about that?
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Considering you're only entering prelim and have trouble at the moment with deciding, I would advise you take all those units (yes 14) and see how you cope with that for the first few weeks. If you find it too much or you find a particular subject boring, you can easily drop. Having a bit of experience with each subject will also give you a more informed judgement.

I would also suggest taking the regular 2U mathematics over general unless you really dislike maths, in which case there wouldn't be much point in keeping it

Thief

!!
HSC
I'm thinking that as well, but if I decide to drop Chem then what would i end up replacing it with because I would be left with 12 Units...
?!

You only need 12 units - so you drop chem, and don't do anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)