• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sudject Selection (1 Viewer)

lolmonster

HSC
Subject Selection

*Subject |||OTL

I'm so stuck. I have too many units that I want to do.

Extension 1 English
Extension 1 Maths
Chemistry
Biology
French beginners
Visual Arts

I don't really intend on dropping subjects, but I probably will. I can't handle that much.

I wanted to do EE2 too... which is ridiculous because I'm not even looking to a career towards english/literature.

ARGG I have to have this all filled out and finalised by Monday.
I don't know what do to... @_@"

Maybe I'll end up dropping EE1. But advanced english looks... not fun. Would advanced english be somewhat easier to do/understand if I did EE1 as well?

Last edited:
HSC
Re: Subject Selection

14 units isnt bad you know... just as long as you keep up with the work. but seeing as you do 2 extensions then its probably a bad idea.

i think choosing french wouldnt be a great idea personally.

lolmonster

HSC
Yeah, I was thinking that both extensions would probably kill me...

Why would french not be a good idea? I was just thinking that I have a vague background knowledge of it, so it would be a relatively easy course to take?

suzlee

HSC
Take French if you are really really keen on it =)
And about both extensions, it shouldn't be too bad. Lots of people do it - just not with 14 units.
You're best not to think too much about EE2 right now. You may end up really liking the other subjects you've chosen during year 11 and things can turn out in unexpected ways...
at least if you have chosen the subjects that you like, you have the option to drop whichever ones you want!

Brontecat

HSC
Extension 1 English
Extension 1 Maths
Chemistry
Biology
French beginners
Visual Arts
Try asking yourself these questions:
What have I done well in, in the past?
What is the workload of each subject? (e.g. will i struggle to complete a major work for VA and do my extension work?)

Brontecat

HSC
i also agree with what suzlee was saying; you can always try out all of your subjects for 2 weeks or something then drop down to 12 units if you feel the workload is too much or if you really don't like one of the subjects

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend took French not having any experience with it before, at all, no whatsoever. The language she had learnt for 3 years was German though (so there is a bit of language experience and she has the aptitude the learn language).

If you really like it, do it.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you're keen on doing french and want to ace it, i suggest dropping visual arts to free up some time.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're keen on doing french and want to ace it, i suggest dropping visual arts to free up some time.
Visual Arts is one of those subjects (like Industrial Technology) which requires tonnes of on going work which takes and consumes a lot of your time only to get scaled down HEAPS in the end... It's not fair on those students :p

lolmonster

HSC
Try asking yourself these questions:
What have I done well in, in the past?
What is the workload of each subject? (e.g. will i struggle to complete a major work for VA and do my extension work?)
I think I've always been a fair all rounder. I've always gotten at least around the top of my class, so I can really only judge on what I enjoy and what I don't?

For french, I've had a look at past HSC papers and I think I could do it with just a little work...

I've always done well at VA and enjoyed it, but kind of really found the theory side boring? But that may just be because we only even learnt about pop art, which I never liked. I figured that I could probably put up with it... I guess I'll just drop it if it gets too boring or the workload's too high... or if I get too OCD and spend all my time on the prac work...

Eh, I guess I could just take all my courses for now (assuming that they all run) and see how I can cope with it.

Are the first few weeks of year 11 usually a fair indication of how intense the course will be?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Visual Arts is one of those subjects (like Industrial Technology) which requires tonnes of on going work which takes and consumes a lot of your time only to get scaled down HEAPS in the end... It's not fair on those students :p
You speaketh the truth ^^

I think I've always been a fair all rounder. I've always gotten at least around the top of my class, so I can really only judge on what I enjoy and what I don't?

For french, I've had a look at past HSC papers and I think I could do it with just a little work...

I've always done well at VA and enjoyed it, but kind of really found the theory side boring? But that may just be because we only even learnt about pop art, which I never liked. I figured that I could probably put up with it... I guess I'll just drop it if it gets too boring or the workload's too high... or if I get too OCD and spend all my time on the prac work...

Eh, I guess I could just take all my courses for now (assuming that they all run) and see how I can cope with it.

Are the first few weeks of year 11 usually a fair indication of how intense the course will be?

Nope, the 1st half of year 11 is pretty bludgy and there's less content with more time in year 11 than in year 12 anyway.

If you're keen on VA then take it, if not then drop it because it does involve a lot of theory or "BS" as my friends say....

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Nope, the 1st half of year 11 is pretty bludgy and there's less content with more time in year 11 than in year 12 anyway.

If you're keen on VA then take it, if not then drop it because it does involve a lot of theory or "BS" as my friends say....
yea, BS is definitely what it really is.

lolmonster

HSC

So I mentally double the workload of everything and ... /dies.
Why does everything require so much effortttt...?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

So I mentally double the workload of everything and ... /dies.
Why does everything require so much effortttt...?
LOL, maybe not double the work load but increase it by 25% or something.

I'd assume that the amount of effort you are going to put in will be proportional to how well you want to do - the better you want to do, the more effort you'll put in. So if you really don't care then no effort will be required XD

HSC
If you are unsure, you can keep it all for now and wait until further assessments when you realise there is a definite subject you want to drop. And if you drop and regret, you can sometimes pick it up again.

lolmonster

HSC
I'd assume that the amount of effort you are going to put in will be proportional to how well you want to do - the better you want to do, the more effort you'll put in. So if you really don't care then no effort will be required XD
But I get so anal and want to do well in everything... I always end up half-assing everything, though...

If you are unsure, you can keep it all for now and wait until further assessments when you realise there is a definite subject you want to drop. And if you drop and regret, you can sometimes pick it up again.

I can pick up dropped subjects? How does that work?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
But I get so anal and want to do well in everything... I always end up half-assing everything, though...

I'm not exactly sure but i think you can pick up a subject before another assessment period begins ( or something like that )

Anyways, I am in a similar predicament. I was wondering whether doing EE1 and dropping it in year 12 would help improve my advanced english in year 12? I was considering choosing it over art but I am not exactly sure.

lolmonster

HSC
I'm not exactly sure but i think you can pick up a subject before another assessment period begins ( or something like that )

Anyways, I am in a similar predicament. I was wondering whether doing EE1 and dropping it in year 12 would help improve my advanced english in year 12? I was considering choosing it over art but I am not exactly sure.

Ah, yes. Mighty fine question.

*waits*
:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Learn to prioritise!

Depending on how lax your school is, if you drop a subject in year 11 then you may be able to pick it up again a short period after before any new assignments/assessments. You shouldn't drop any subjects unless you're sure about it anyway....

I can't really help there seeing as i never did EE1, but from what i've heard it might help. I know people who are acing EE1 and EE2 but literally only doing decently in advanced so i'd assume that it requires different talents or something.

I'd suggest that you not pick up any subjects you don't intend to keep though, it's just a waste of time that you could use on other subjects.

sharna93

HSC
Yeah I am like you. I have to submit my subject choices for next year but I have to many, but im not sure which ones to scrap.

Thinking of:
Advanced English
Extension English
Agriculture
Biology
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics
Mathematics

Can anyone give any imput, I dont really want to do mathematics, but for the uni course I want to do it says it should be assumed knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)