Summer Clerks (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
Who here has a summer clerkship? what firm? what was the recruitment process like? did you have experience in the legal environment beforehand?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
me. a top 10 firm in terms of revenue. a bit random. yes.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yep, a national lawfirm. The recruitment was a shitload of interviews, but fairly laid back... I had 2 years volunteer experience plus a previous 6 month position at a boutique lawfirm. My grades aren't as nice as yours though ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
when you say the recruitment process was random, what did they make you do? like behavioural questions?
there were applications/interviews you put a lot of effort into, that you thought you aced, and you get rejected. on the other hand, there are applications/interviews were little effort was put, that you get accepted.

thus, for my own part, random.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Frigid said:
there were applications/interviews you put a lot of effort into, that you thought you aced, and you get rejected. on the other hand, there are applications/interviews were little effort was put, that you get accepted.

thus, for my own part, random.
ah ok :) congratulations :)

= Jennifer =

HSC
Enteebee said:
Yep, a national lawfirm. The recruitment was a shitload of interviews, but fairly laid back... I had 2 years volunteer experience plus a previous 6 month position at a boutique lawfirm. My grades aren't as nice as yours though ;)
congratulations :) i thought you had to be in your second last year to get a clerkship? :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
230-270 summer clerks out of 700-odd applications
and the number of offers would, i'd imagine, exceed this number; since people who receive offers might end up working in fields other than law.

T

thegovernator

somewhat off topic, but what are peoples thoughts on Clayton Utz?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I've been in their office for a practice moot the judged for us and I must admit, I thought I wasn't going to even consider big firms but their uber office made me want to sell my soul right there and then!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
thegovernator said:
somewhat off topic, but what are peoples thoughts on Clayton Utz?
if you want honest answers, you should really speak to a number of graduates at a particular law firm, in an informal out-of-career-event environment. over coffee, perhaps.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
if you want honest answers, you should really speak to a number of graduates at a particular law firm, in an informal out-of-career-event environment. over coffee, perhaps.
And if you want REALLY honest answers, make sure there's a drop of vodka in the said coffee, perhaps.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
in other news, we return to work on monday. yay! :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I assume the firms know about the different GPA calculations? At Mac we seem to use some weird system where fail = 0, CP= 1, P=2, C=3 and D/HD = 4 so the highest GPA is 4 which is lower than a credit GPA using the system UWS uses or do they tell you how they want you to calculate GPA or do they ask for something like WAM (not that Mac uses WAM)?

subdued123

HSC
with respect to marks - when you apply online through CVMail or each firm's system, you'll find that the forms have an option to select either raw marks, grades or equivalent scores. So no-one's disadvantaged.

And Mac people do get clerkships, so nothing to fear.

And frigid is right about the "getting truth" - it does make it hard - but there is a BIG difference between promotional materials and speaking to people who actually work there.

Saying there is work/life balance is one thing; but when no lawyer leaves before 9 during December, you'll quickly find out the truth. Sucks to say this, but the whole work life thing is a gimmick and no large law firm really embraces it yet.

The reality is this: you're going to work hard no matter where you go. I think a lot of students somehow have this fantasy about earning ridiculous $$$ while working 8 hour days. It just doesn't happen.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
The reality is this: you're going to work hard no matter where you go. I think a lot of students somehow have this fantasy about earning ridiculous $$$ while working 8 hour days. It just doesn't happen.
might i add that 6.5/7 hours' worth of billable units almost always translates to 9/10 hours of work.

so yeah. good luck leaving the office before 6pm. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)