Summer Clerks (1 Viewer)

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I am into my penultimate year in 2008 and am very anxious about the whole clerkship process. Does any previous applicants and those who are currently in the programs offer us some advice as to how to best approach this year and what the best method of preparation is for the applications/interviews.

subdued123

HSC
hi there M@cDaddy,

in addition to what i wrote on page 1 -

1) study hard and get those grades to above 70+ avg - (if not already)
2) get a part time job in a law related field - this really helps
3) do something extra curricular, or further some interest you have - help organise an event? Something substantial that'll make your cv quite interesting.

4) apply for a part time job at a firm you're interested in - you might be surprised. That is a "side entry" that is often overlooked.

5) start putting that cv together with some cover letters - this will spare you heartache and stress down the track.

hope this helps.

p.s. that law careers fair can often be more confusing as they all say the same thing and put their best feet forward. The stationery is a good help. The business section in the Australian/AFR can often pinpoint firms doing good work.

is a roflcopter
HSC
M@C D@DDY said:
I am into my penultimate year in 2008 and am very anxious about the whole clerkship process. Does any previous applicants and those who are currently in the programs offer us some advice as to how to best approach this year and what the best method of preparation is for the applications/interviews.
mention that your a high boy :D

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I went to an interview for a law clerk at some small firm in North Sydney and I swear to god the second question he asked me was 'is sydney boys a selective school and where is it located?'.

What a great firm....

subdued123

HSC
re: resume

Cover letters and resumes should be to the point. If your cover letter is over 1 page, it will significantly hinder your chances - gospel!

Don't embellish - the law firms are expert bs sniffers.

And for god's sake, don't put "under 10s soccer" or "member of law students society" as your best extra curricular achievements.

Some stuff is better left out as it can make you look a bit desperate.

= Jennifer =

HSC
reviving an old thread :p

Just a question - I notice that some of the smaller law firms are putting out their summer clerk applications now and are having the due dates already before the mid and top tier firms. The offer/acceptance dates are also before the other summer clerk open dates.

Am I correct in saying that some students wont apply for these in the hopes they will wait for the mid and top tier firms? Is my assumption correct? or will some law students apply accept the offer and then if a better offer comes along take that? Are they allowed to do this?

subdued123

HSC
This is interesting.

Firstly it is important to note that there is a formal scheme that operates as a result of an agreement between the law firms and law schools.

The following doc outlines the relevant dates for the official program adhered to by the larger law firms.

http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Current_Students/scgep/docs/SchemeDeadlines.pdf

Now, as for the smaller ones- some call them clerkships, but beware. They may not be typical schemes where they have a structured program - it might be a glorified name for an intern/clerk position. If you can apply to do it, and still do the main one in summer 08/09, then go for it.

But in my experience, not one of the summer clerks i worked with did one of these smaller ones.

Would you like to post a link to one of these early ones you're interested in? We can analyse it.

subdued123

HSC
just an afterthought - it seems illogical to have summer clerk applications so early - are you sure these aren't grad offer deadlines you're looking at?

subdued123

HSC
The MatthewsFolbigg program is not a typical summer clerkship program.

In fact, it seems like an initiative they've developed themselves to recruit young lawyers, so it's not part of the "official" program run with the unis. Hence the strange timing.

If I were going for a larger firm, i would be minded to stay away, lest it clashes with a (real) summer clerkship later in the year. That said, all experience is good experience. To be perfectly honest I think it's slightly misleading calling these programs clerkships.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Yeah me too. That is why I was a tad confused. But as you have pointed out the actual clerkship program applications don't begin until July with an agreement between the universities and particular law firms. If I just wait until that comes it will be ok :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)