Super Smart Students (1 Viewer)

doggieslover

HSC
I have a friend who got 99.85 in his HSC, he played rygby all through year 12. Played a musical instrument in his spare time (he didn't do music) had an active social life- though he would not go get drunk for example etc.

chlodogg

HSC
yea there is a large drinking culture up here, when i lived in kempsey, noone thought of drinking... im 18 so yea its not a big deal. how is it a learning thing. really?
I live in Kempsey, And All Everyone Does Is Drink..
Which kempsey did you come from???

funk1234

HSC
Another thing im curios about is at my school it seems to be the smarter students that take more drugs than the dumb ones. Any opinions?
well i know alot of the students at my school who are quite smart, go partying and drink, and smoke cigs and weed and also do ecstasy on occasions, but i think they might go ok in the HSC but fuck up the rest of their lives

badquinton304

HSC
For all those people that spend majority of their time studying and aim for an ATAR above 99. What do you want to do after school? Do you have any spare time for hobbies, parties etc? I'm not opposing it, im just bored and curios.

I mix up my study with liesure and aiming for 85+ as i believe it will help in the long run of life.
After school im going for a degree in medicine. I hate parties because they are usually pointless and boring, I do occasionally go for free food then leave, I do not play much sport outside of school event though I do enjoy it. I spend most of my time outside of study playing videogames and doing random shit on the net. I think it is important to do other things besides study but for me most of those other things besides videogames are intrests based in academic fields such as mathematics, physics etc.
Doing more activities alone is better as it makes you smarter, and it cultivates a unique quirky and eccentric personality that makes you stand out.

jules.09

HSC
I think you've got to be relatively... intelligent to get something like 99.9 but all the while, capable and have a very very decent memory. Sure, there's a correlation between intelligence and ATAR, but at large, as someone's said before, the HSC is largely a memory game + pedantic marking schemes.

There are people who party hard and get stellar ATARs, others who do nothing but study, they are two extremes, but something they have in common is that they put the work in and study fairly hard. Whether they have a 'social life' is largely up to them, or rather, their parents. ;)

megan22

HSC
Pretty stupid trying to catogorize people just because they get a high ATAR. Its not like everyone who gets an ATAR of 70 has the exact same personality, and why would it be different for people who get high 90's? People get different marks for a huge variety of different reasons, not beacuse they are or aren't "super smart".

rinc

HSC
what happened to friendship, been a teenager? what happened to making memories when you are young that you remember for the rest of your life.
you dont wanna be old and and have no good memories of your youth because all you did was study. but not saying studying and getting a good mark is not important just that everything in moderation is good.

all i can say live your life cause you only be young once.

I'm in constant conflict with myself when I reject an offer to hang out with my friends so i can study because of this reasoning. It's so true, I dont want to look back on the last years where i was able to be (practically) 'responsibility free' and remember wasting them by...being responsible.

It really is hard to balance out the two. i'm doing fairly well at school but i could be doing so much better if i stopped thinking about the parties, boys, dinners and even just movie nights at home with my friends that i'm missing out on :confused:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
not entirely true. The HSC is about collective effort. I certainly give about how people in my classes are performing. All your classes marks are pooled together and then those marks are reallocated to students according to rank. If everyone in your class fails apart from you, you will be dragged down with them.

So yeah, I definetely care when bludgers are still hanging around in my classes when they never turn up and really should have been kicked out in year 10 because their failure equals my failure to some extent unfortunately.
No you won't. If you top internally and externally... nothing will happen to your marks as they are all yours.

You should do some extra reading on mark moderation and aligning :)

KnifeySpoony

HSC
lol at bill gates and packer dropping out of school - both completed high school....
Didn't read the whole thread, but i think he actually dropped out of Harvard; so you would've had to be pretty damn smart to get in the first place.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
this thread assumes all the smart kids are dedicated students.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
that's actually incorrect, your mark is affected to some extent. I have done plenty of reading. you don't "keep" your mark per se. You get the "highest" mark in your cohort if you're ranked first, but it won't be "your" mark. Your collective cohort's mark are collected and redistributed according to rank, standard deviation and other factors. If everyone fails apart from you, although you won't be dragged down with them, you WILL lose some marks, as redistribution states you will.

I don't really care tbh. I'm just saying. How other people perform WILL affect you.

Conversely, if everyone achieves well in the HSC (ie well above the mean) all of your marks will be collectively 'pushed up' to an extent.
p. sure first place gets the first external mark, last place gets the last external mark then they gather the pool of marks then distribute it accordingly

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
that's actually incorrect, your mark is affected to some extent. I have done plenty of reading. you don't "keep" your mark per se. You get the "highest" mark in your cohort if you're ranked first, but it won't be "your" mark. Your collective cohort's mark are collected and redistributed according to rank, standard deviation and other factors. If everyone fails apart from you, although you won't be dragged down with them, you WILL lose some marks, as redistribution states you will.

I don't really care tbh. I'm just saying. How other people perform WILL affect you.

Conversely, if everyone achieves well in the HSC (ie well above the mean) all of your marks will be collectively 'pushed up' to an extent.
ERR wrong

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Shaela's sort of right, mixed up though. That standard deviation crap and other factors affect the bottom person. The first person sets the top of the 'pool', keeping his/her own mark. Then:
Lazarus said:
The moderating algorithm calculates a conversion curve to convert the raw assessment marks into moderated assessment marks.

The curve is a simple parabola of the form:

y = ax^2 + bx + c

where 'x' is the raw assessment mark, 'y' is the moderated assessment mark, and the constants 'a', 'b' and 'c' are calculated from the distributions of raw assessment marks and exam marks.

However, it's important that the parabola doesn't have a turning point anywhere within the range of marks that are being moderated, because if it does you can't guarantee that a higher raw mark will always result in a higher moderated mark and vice versa.

If the curve is concave down, raw marks (x-values) beyond the turning point will result in lower moderated marks (y-values) than at or before the turning point, and if the curve is concave up, raw marks (x-values) beyond the turning point will result in higher moderated marks (y-values) than at or before the turning point.

In these situations the rank order of students is changed by the moderating process.

If the algorithm calculates a curve which has that problem, the curve can't be used, so the bottom moderated mark is adjusted to a value which moves the turning point outside the range of marks. Thus within the range of marks for the group being moderated, the curve can be said to be monotonically increasing, as a higher x-value will always produce a higher y-value.

See also: Monotonic function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See the bold bit? The bottom mark counts as an outlier and a substitute bottom mark is set.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)