Super Smart Students (1 Viewer)

chris1515

HSC
For all those people that spend majority of their time studying and aim for an ATAR above 99. What do you want to do after school? Do you have any spare time for hobbies, parties etc? I'm not opposing it, im just bored and curios.

I mix up my study with liesure and aiming for 85+ as i believe it will help in the long run of life.

HSC
I'd assume many want to get into the best possible uni couse to set themselves up..which would help them more in the long term than rather playing around..

Most wouldprobably do some form of activity outside school..

chris1515

HSC
But you need to "play around" and experience life and what it has to offer. Getting a ATAR of 99+ doesnt guarantee you success. Sure you're likely to do well but at what costs. Also many people drop out of school in year 10 and some have become the worlds most successfull businessman.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For all those people that spend majority of their time studying and aim for an ATAR above 99. What do you want to do after school? Do you have any spare time for hobbies, parties etc? I'm not opposing it, im just bored and curios.

I mix up my study with liesure and aiming for 85+ as i believe it will help in the long run of life.
I dunno if I'm classified as a 'top student', with my results and all, but since I'm aiming for 99+, I'll reply.

I go out, I'm a Prefect, had two gfs, done stuff that I've regret. Hobbies generally include playing volleyball (I used to go to Melbourne for Australian Nationals Volleyball Schools Cup), I'm a State qualified Volleyball referee, having reffed various intra-state games, ie, WA vs QLD just three weeks ago.

Go to parties ish, don't get drunk, though, have had a drink once though.

There you go. Of course, 95% of that is on hold now that it's a few months before HSC.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
But you need to "play around" and experience life and what it has to offer. Getting a ATAR of 99+ doesnt guarantee you success. Sure you're likely to do well but at what costs. Also many people drop out of school in year 10 and some have become the worlds most successfull businessman.
That is true. Bill Gates, Kerry Packer. For argument's sake, Kyle Sandilands. However, that happens to like one in a million. On the other hand, those that get 99 UAI/ATAR, about 80% lead steady lives, wives, husbands, families, 9-5 job, decent pay, etc etc in an office with air conditioning (or at the very least, they are where they wanna be). The chances if you put in the hard work now, are much higher.

chris1515

HSC
Cheers for that. Yeh all my stuff is on hold till after the trails then hsc. Then schoolies :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Cheers for that. Yeh all my stuff is on hold till after the trails then hsc. Then schoolies :)
No problem. Yeah, schoolies is looking very good about now. Shame I'm not going anywhere though.

chris1515

HSC
I agree that your chances are higher with a better university degree but there are some things uni's and school dont teach you and thats hard work, commitment, desire etc. Im not a dead beat drop out, im doing well and am aiming high for the future. But where i want to go will rely on these attitudes to get there and not a degree itself.

Also Kyle Sandilands is a tosser.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
ATAR means jackshit in the scheme of things.

I think that a great deal of the super diligent students are that way because of pressure from parents and community expectations, which is particularly true for certain cultures.

One of my physics students, who is definately capable of band 6 in physics, said to me that in his particular culture/community (he is indian) an ATAR of below 98 means you are shit basically.

He won't get an ATAR of 98. He is bright, committed, but he is more like a walking textbook and can't think outside of the box, but i suppose.. that isn't really required in the HSC.

I got a UAI in the mid-90's. I don't even remember what it was exactly. Even if you don't get the ATAR that you need to get into the course you want to get into, do some other course for a year, get at least a credit average and get an internal transfer, easy.

Potential employers dont care about ATAR as part of that is only a reflection of how well you can memorise what needs to be known, not how you can actually think about original ideas.

chris1515

HSC
Thats a good point, i known a guy who got 99.something high and his only friends were i think 2 people from his church. He had no life outside of school and relied full on tutors to learn the content. His parents were extremly pushy and they were cried about his mark cause it was .05 too low to get into med school. This kid had no social skills and will find it extremely hard to make in the wide open world.

Of course this is just one kid and doesnt speak for everyone

HSC
eh, who's to say those who have high aims or those who actually achieved those aims are/were social retards or whatnot

Then again i wouldnt be suprised if they are

Last edited:

chris1515

HSC
The other problem with the guy i mentioned before is what is he going to do at university without the help of tutors 24/7. He hasnt learn to work indepently and i'd say this will impact on him

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I dunno if I'm classified as a 'top student', with my results and all, but since I'm aiming for 99+, I'll reply.

I go out, I'm a Prefect, had two gfs, done stuff that I've regret. Hobbies generally include playing volleyball (I used to go to Melbourne for Australian Nationals Volleyball Schools Cup), I'm a State qualified Volleyball referee, having reffed various intra-state games, ie, WA vs QLD just three weeks ago.

Go to parties ish, don't get drunk, though, have had a drink once though.

There you go. Of course, 95% of that is on hold now that it's a few months before HSC.
Well said :D

chris1515

HSC
Another thing im curios about is at my school it seems to be the smarter students that take more drugs than the dumb ones. Any opinions?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Another thing im curios about is at my school it seems to be the smarter students that take more drugs than the dumb ones. Any opinions?
The guy in my grade who's coming first in all 4U of English once got arrested for underaged drinking at Mardi Gras. That was in Yr 11 though.

chris1515

HSC
haha thats funny. Also research shows that the majority of cocaine users are in their 20's and 30's and are mostly successful businessman

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
those that get 99 UAI/ATAR, about 80% lead steady lives, wives, husbands, families, 9-5 job, decent pay, etc etc in an office with air conditioning (or at the very least, they are where they wanna be).

lol, wtf, i like making up random stats as well.

shady145

Banned
HSC
aiming for 98+ so partly applies to above 99 lol. i go out to parties, last drink i had was 2 weeks ago and should be the last one i have until hsc is finished, i play soccer, captain the team...anyone know where Mt Warning is?/ climbed that twice with a few mates... thats a bit of leisure... now im starting to go strong with study hours at the final 100metres of the HSC XD
i stopped skateboarding and playing guitar for the hsc tho

chris1515

HSC
It's not like drinking is that bad though. When your almost 18 its not really a big deal. i always go out for beers with my mates and often screw up and get way outa hand but i never regret this as i see it as a learning thing.

And my grandparents live at the base of Mt Warning on Mt Warning road. Never climbed it but intend on it someday. What a small world

shady145

Banned
HSC
It's not like drinking is that bad though. When your almost 18 its not really a big deal. i always go out for beers with my mates and often screw up and get way outa hand but i never regret this as i see it as a learning thing.

And my grandparents live at the base of Mt Warning on Mt Warning road. Never climbed it but intend on it someday. What a small world
yea there is a large drinking culture up here, when i lived in kempsey, noone thought of drinking... im 18 so yea its not a big deal. how is it a learning thing. really?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)