Supp Texts - Inner (1 Viewer)

Tokio

HSC
Harvie Krumpet [Film]

Length: 22 mins

Generally this is a short claymation film by Adam Elliot, it has a good but tragic sense of humour. The main star Harvie Krumpet has Tourette's Syndrome, gets struck by lightning, loses a testicle and becomes a human magnet... generally he has a lot of bad luck. The inner journey here can be finding a sense of place and self identity as he progresses through life...

Our set text is 'My Place' by Sally Morgan, for anyone doing this text, Harvie's Journey links particularly well with Arthur's journey as they both have a great sense of pride in who they are and move on very similar journeys. They both make some freakishly similar statements such as:

"My wounds took a long time to heal" - My Place, Sally Morgan
"Time does not heal all wounds" - Harvie Krumpet, Adam Elliot

Also the changing of name concept applies to Harvie, where he tries to protect himself by changing name, Arthur also does something similar "I went under the name of Marble. I thought it might give me protection" (My Place).

This is just a short insight into the text, and may not be relevant for everyone's set text. If you want to know a bit more you can search up the film on www.imdb.com or PM me.

Ganbatte yo minnasan~

Jezabel2411

HSC
Hey pplz. Well, I have to do this assessment for English and I am having trouble finding related texts. We only have to find one and I was just wondering if "A Walk To Remember" was one and if so, what type of journey is it related to? How woud u relate it to Peter Skrzynecki's poems and something from the stimulus booklet?

ali777

HSC
Switchfoot song, "beautiful letdown". this is a reflection on the artist's journey, from the perspective of what he's learnt. there's lots to read into.

michael leunig cartoon, 'true happiness'

henry wadsworth longfellow "my lost youth"; "a psalm of life". "the rainy day"

Last edited:

house_of_stone

HSC
I am doing "Somethng to Believe In" by the Ramones. Also, I was wondering if there is a page that analyses the inner journies in Star Wars IV cause I can't really put it in words. Thnx

.hack//sign

HSC
thank you all and coincidence or has someone actually visited my website

thank you all so much for an extensive list this has helped me so much now ive got the problem of which one to choose lol
ive got to do a speech on journey to the interior and i was completly screwed so to speak about an own choice visual but im leanbing towards either superman or rabbit proof fence or lord of the rings(all time fav ever almost as enthralling as anime) but i think ill be doing either lotr or superman as both are favs of mine alhrthough i havent seen rabbit proof fence(/smack over head)
so yehh in short thank you all so much cant believe my bloody luck in finding this site i was so depressed until i stubbled on it.

btw stella8h8chang love ur description of your location just wondering you didnt get that idea from a web page hosted by angelfire (created by me) lol i made a lil intro page years ago when i was delving into basic html and id written that exact line under my details page and was just wondering it'd be really cool if ud actually did get it from there

btw yehh my nickname is an anime if ur an anime buff and havent seen it its awsome and i think it might be riddled with inner journey if use wanna check it out i love it

.hack//sign

HSC
hey ive decided to do the inner journey of frodo baggins along side anouther text for my speech and was wondering if maybe you guys/gurls could help me out with either of the following:

a)resources/websites which give examples or help explain better frodo's inner journey
or
b)maybe someone could help me put the ideas i have into words by expressing some of your own
if anyone could help with this please do

thanks in advance

Spbec

HSC
I cannot believe anyone hasn't thought of this, but remember the television series " The Wonder Years"? It is fantastic as a related text as it decipits inner journeys as growing up and experiencing changes all around yourself and finding ways of coping with it.
Others I have found are the movie " Hope Floats" ( Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Jr) Suddenly 30 ( Jennifer Garner) Where the Heart Is ( Natalie Portman) and Uptown Girls ( I think its Britany Murphy but Dakota Fanning is in it though) .
I hope this helps

Wackedupwacko

HSC
well i hope its not too late but what you want to do is firstly work out what your thesis is, then work out the main points regarding that. after that look for techniques quotes from scenes that feature those main points and then linking it to your Stimulus + selected core text (if you cant link then just pointing out the main points in each technique wise would be fine).

eg say you want to use the value of friendship in discovering yourself as a main point then you would goto the scene where frodo is going insane but sam helps him through and just work out how the director has shown this. linking this would be a bit difficult in the AoS but you could say use Journey to the Interior and explain the dangers involved in an inner journey and related that to the frodo going insane thing and explain that friends are a way to help you overcome these difficulties. (this is all an example whethere you choose to use it or not is up to u)

Anyway for related texts you'll find a goldmine when you come to anime :p yep anime.. alot of them are very good for inner journey (just depends on what view your taking on it). I myself used FMP:TSR (and basically aced the first assessment lost only a mark cuz the teacher couldnt read my writing XD -literally). however many films are also good eg saving private ryan, whale rider, Last Samurai, A beautiful mind - all the ones i can think off rite now. Generally visual texts are better than written since they have way more techniques and are easier to see the effects than the books. poems are an exception to this as they are always chocoblock full of techniques and ways to interpret them.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
two songs that i believe are good for inner journey ..

The Storm is Over Now
by R. Kelly

I was in a tunnel
And couldn´t see the light
And whenever I´d look up
I couldn´t see the sky
Sometimes when I´m standing
It seems like I done walked for miles
And my heart could be cryin´
Dead in the middle of a smile

But then I climbed the hills
And saw the mountains
I hollered help ´cause
I was lost
Then I felt the strong wind
Heard a small voice sayin´

Refrain:
The storm is over
The storm is over now
And I can see the sunshine
Somewhere beyond the clouds
I feel Heaven, yeah
Heaven is over me
Come on and set me free

Now in the midst of my battle
All hope was gone
Downtown in a rushed crowd
And felt all alone
And every now and then
I felt like I would lose my mind
I´ve been racin´ for years
And still no finish line

But then I climbed the hills
And saw the mountains
I hollered help ´cause
I was lost
Then I felt the strong wind
And then a small voice sayin´

Refrain

Somehow my beginning
Stepped right in(Right in)
Then faith became my friend(My friend)
And now I can depend
On the voices of the wind
When it´s sayin´
sayin´

Refrain(2x)

Looks I can see the light shining(4x)

GOOD CHARLOTTE LYRICS

"Emotionless"

Hey dad
I'm writing to you
not to tell you, that I still hate you
just to ask you
how you feel
and how we fell apart
how this fell apart

are you happy out there in this great wide world?
do you think about your sons?
do you miss your little girl?
when you lay your head down
how do you sleep at night?
do you even wonder if we're all right?

but we're all right
we're all right

[Chorus:]
it's been a long hard road without you by my side
why weren't you there all the nights that we cried
you broke my mother's heart
you broke your children for life
it's not ok,
but we're all right
I remember the days, you were a hero in my eyes
but those are just a long lost memory of mine
I spent so many years learning how to survive
Now, I'm writing just to let you know I'm still alive

the days I spent so cold, so hungry
were full of hate
I was so angry
the scars run deep inside this tattooed body
there's things I'll take, to my grave
but I'm okay
I'm okay

it's not ok,
but we're all right
yeah, I'm still alive

sometimes
I forgive
yeah and this time
I'll admit
that I miss you, said I miss you

it's not ok,
but we're all right

and sometimes
I forgive
and this time
I'll admit, that I miss you, I miss you
hey dad

Last edited:

ivee

HSC
Help!!!

well for my AOS our school is doin Inner Journey, our prescribed text is the novel "My Place " by Sally Morgan.
What related material should i use??. And which text form the stimulus booklet do you think i should use??
please Reply as Soon as Possible...
Thanx Heaps..

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
firery16 said:
Do u think the fast and the furious 1or 2 would be any good to use for inner journeys???
nope as i cant think of any think of how the fast and furious movies would relate to inner journeys maybe you can provide some examples?

firery16

HSC
fast and furious

i guess i was thinkin of how paul walker leaves the police force because he became friends with a guy he was suppost to bust and that kinda story line

Rhysenn

HSC
Hi, I'm really interested in your Motorcycle Diaries notes, I was already planning on doing it but I'm having trouble getting started. If you would consider sharing them with me my e-mail is mint_and_mystery@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Isabel

Keys

HSC
hi..im doing Motorcycle Dairies too!!i think it will be a fantastic text to use,although i am worried that my teacher wont be able to help me with it coz its in a different language.its also going to be hard to quote and explain things from it,but im willing to give it a go : ) well,i guess we can always help each othre out..good luck!!

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Okay alot fo you wont have read/seen these, but they're worth reading/watching anyway.

- Fight Club (ok well you've probably seen that, and its VERY detailed, you can talk about basically anything you want)

- The Riders by Tim Winton (for negative journeys)

- The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost (best one in the stimulus booklet, again can be seen from lots of different angles)

- The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (effin good book. yus. about negative change - attempted suicide)

- Veronika Decides To Die (another effin good book. also about suicide. yus, im studying suicide for my major work!)

- Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) - Green Day (pretty basic, but still works)

- Thirteen (im so in love with that movie. negative change again)

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Re: Help!!!

ivee said:
well for my AOS our school is doin Inner Journey, our prescribed text is the novel "My Place " by Sally Morgan.
What related material should i use??. And which text form the stimulus booklet do you think i should use??
please Reply as Soon as Possible...
Thanx Heaps..
I'm doing My Place too...I dont know if this will help, but for my speech (argh!) my related metrail are:
-Veronika Decides To Die (paulo coelho)
-The Road Not Taken (stimulus)
-The Riders (tim winton)
but i was going to do fight club...my thesis is basically the destination isnt what matters, its what happened to get you there, etc. sorry, my related material are pretty obscure, but yeah. good luck!

bumble bee

HSC
Re: Help!!!

I'm studying my place. For my own choice texts in my speech I used the book "Sleepwalking" by Nicola Morgan... Not good to use in the HSC coz usually you refer to authors by their last names and they have the same one, so it's too easily confused... Also, the song "Fall to Peices" by Krystal Meyers (It's a christian song, and I'm not sure many people will have heard it, but it was a pretty good one) and the children's book "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. From the stimulus book I'm debating between "The Ivory Trail" and "Journey to the Interior" as the main ones i'll study in depth, but I'll get some stuff from the others too, just in case.

greenapple^0^

HSC
what do you guys think about a movie called "the forgotten" about a mother who knows that she had a child but everyone is telling her that she never had a kid.... do you think that movie is good enought for inner journey???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)