Supplementary Material: Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I used Portishead (Music) and Alex Grey (Artwork) as well as the previously mentioned Waiting for Godot. Got 49. Obscure texts are brilliant.

somechick

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
One can't categorise texts as literature or art, or whatever. A poem is literature, but it may as well be also art. Same with games. It's all a matter of interpretation, in this pomo society.
Very good. I see you are really into the whole pomo thing.

Omg you people. Im trying to help here.
After all, its AN ENGLISH ELECTIVE. Look at the exemplars.
Honestly, why would the board want you to be studying archictecture and art when its literature that's the most important thread that postmodernism takes form in.
Of course you cant generalise and categorise things. Its what essentially postmodernism is about. But the im sure the board couldnt care less if you had a major breakthrough of intellectual thought in your exam paper, as long as you just say what they want to hear.
Im telling you. Im dead sure about this. But if you want to be different go ahead. I mean how much can you write on a description of a building, and then link it to your texts.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Somechick, while you would probably be right in most other english modules, postmodernism is different. It definitely won't harm you to use unconventional text types - if anything, it'll help. I used a dance troupe, Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, as a text in my HSC exam and got 48.

Part of the very basis of postmodern thought is that a text is anything which conveys meaning, and that it is not only film and literature which communicates messages to society/audiences. So by using examples from genres which do not fit the traditional definition of a text, you are demonstrating to the examiner that you appreciate not only postmodern techniques, but postmodern ideology. Postmodern literary theorists don't just analyse literature, they look at language and value structures in every part of society. Any postmodern analysis will tell you that values are explicitly found in the products of our society - including video games, etc. These things reflect our values just as much as literature.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
somechick said:
I mean how much can you write on a description of a building, and then link it to your texts.
I don't think the point is to link to your texts, the point is to use your texts AND your supplementary material to link to the module - postmodern ideology. A piece of postmodern architecture can be a great supplementary text, and yes, it can really link well to your texts because it will show that you have a broad understanding of the different ways postmodernism has impacted upon vastly differing aspects of society. Using examples from art, literature, architecture, film, etc shows that you can identify postmodernism and its agenda across the board, not only that you have memorised a few language techniques to regurgitate in relation to a novel.

After all, it's TEXTS AND WAYS OF THINKING - they want you to understand the whole concept, not just analyse a book. A great way to do that is to not limit yourself to the conventional texts, but show that your thinking has expanded across hugely different aspects of the course.

somechick

HSC
N/A
*shrugs*

Suit yourself.

I seriously thought so too, since our elective is postmodernism, when I asked if i could do one of Diane Kruger's artworks. My teacher consulted the first head of english (who is highly renowned btw), and she said no.

And I know what postmodernism is thanks gemita lol :p

Last edited:

ammajologazie

HSC
Novel:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,
by Mark Haddon.

My english teacher gave it to the class for some light reading, though i don't know of anyone who has previously used it. But it's an easy read all the same.

roopa

supps for po-mo

NOVELS:

calvino - the castle of crossed destinies
jeanette winterson - sexing the cherry + written on the body

FILMS:

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
adaptation
being john malkovich
moulin rouge

matt.todd

HSC
There are a couple of short story collections that our teachers have recommended:

The Vanishing Princess - Jenny DISKI (This is a collection of pomo fairy tales - verry funny. I am using "Shit and Gold" - an appropriation of Rumplestiltskin.)

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories - James Finn GARNER (I havne't read any of these, but another class in our school is using one of them; I'm not sure which one, though.)

I think the correct term for these stories is "fractured fairy tales". Or that's what my teacher called them anyway...

sharronx

texts: most salman rushdie's books
alain de bottom - status anxiety
visual: pablo picasso (forgot what it's called, but the really famous one with the girl looking in the mirror)

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
the first rule about fight club...don't talk about fight club.
great movie/book for pomo

paolo21

I was wondering if any Pop Artists, like Andy Warhol, would be appropriate. Seeing its not particularly postmodern, it adopts heaps of its ideas, similar to what Waiting for Godot does despite it being Absurdist. What do you guys reckon?

Songs;
Blur - Girls and Boys
Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution

Films;
Sin City

Plays;
Waiting for Godot
The Chairs

TV Shows;
Family Guy
Futurama

Would video games be legitimate for supplementary material? How would you go about it?

smunky

HSC
more Pomo texts

There are heaps of postmodern picture books out there... ZOO by Anthony Browne, BLACK AND WHITE by David Macauley and THE THREE PIGS by David Weisner is a great one too
Film - Baz Luhrmans romeo and juliet
Art- Almost any of ANDY WARHOL's works

smunky

HSC
paolo21 said:
I was wondering if any Pop Artists, like Andy Warhol, would be appropriate. Seeing its not particularly postmodern, it adopts heaps of its ideas, similar to what Waiting for Godot does despite it being Absurdist. What do you guys reckon?

Songs;
Blur - Girls and Boys
Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution

Films;
Sin City

Plays;
Waiting for Godot
The Chairs

TV Shows;
Family Guy
Futurama

Would video games be legitimate for supplementary material? How would you go about it?
YES, Andy warhol is acceptable.. I know alot of people used examples of his work for assessments in class and will for the exam tomorrow. Pop art is postmodern as it 'burrows' ideas/techniques from cartoon and taken into the context of art.

Keys

HSC
How about The Matrix?would that be a good pomo film????

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Malfoy said:
You can use modern pop music or even reality television if you know how to do it right... Big Brother stole the concepts from Orwell's 1984, don't forget!
i would advise not to use something like big brother. whilst you have picked out that there's intertextuality there, there's not enough evidence to suggest that the show is actually postmodern. It follows a seemingly linear structure and i doubt you could find any more postmodern techniques than the loosely referenced "big brother" example.

Kateee

HSC
If you're looking at using waiting for goddot, i recomend using 'waiting for guffman' to. it's a postmodern parady of waiting for godot

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
Picture books! there are some great picture books out there.

Open Me... I'm a dog, by Art Spiegelman. This is about a dog that was turned into a book, the book your reading. It doesn't know how to turn back into a dog. << postmodern or what?

Black and White by David Macauley. Don't actually know much about this one but its supposed to be awesome.

The Story of a Little Mouse Trapped in a book. By Monique Felix. This doesn't have any words. It encourages "multi-literacy" the relationship between meaning and image. Highlights the construction of a text. The mouse is trapped inside the book and cant get out, it cews through the page and finds another world. Questions reality etc.

Go picture books!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)