Swearing in creative writing? (1 Viewer)

old.skool.kid

HSC
If your writing from a teenagers perpsective and they're angry can you use obscene language? Cos im planning on doing diary entries and thats spose be colloquial right? Or would the markers not accept it?

nrs1990

HSC
From what my teachers said ages ago, I think it's okay if it's appropriate to the context -- like if your teenage character is angry.

Though it would probably depend on the marker. Some might be offended, and thus prejudiced against your writing. Others might think it adds authenticity. (Shrugs.) But I doubt it'd make a major difference whether you swear or not.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Do it, but in moderation and only where appropriate.

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
it should be ok because in section III we need to quote from the texts and mine has swearing. it looks silly if you censor it out. lol or write -beep-!

but if you're not sure, go for 'bugger' rather than 'fuck' if you want colloquial exclamations for example.

HSC
ahaha my narrative is about a ww2 german soldier, i get to swear.... if calling a spitfire plane an "agile little pain in the arse" swearing XD
i was going to say a few other things, but my teachers thought they were too rude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)