• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Syd Uni summer school (1 Viewer)

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
Just curious, if nebody went to a summer school held earlier this yr fro programming and computer science...one girl at my school went and she didnt like it, but my sis wants to go and apparently its abt $200...if u went, was it worth it?

del

HSC
N/A
Ahh CCSS.. yeah it's worth it.

Rahul

Dead Member
yep ccss, its good if u want to go into that field in later studies. but be prepared, the work there is not easy. all in all, it can b an enjoyable experience, the food is great:D.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
thanks for the replies

Edit: i met with someone yessterday who went earlier this yr. concidence...or not?:p

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
WHOAH! So who are all these CCSS people that hang out here too?
((And why haven't you joined the CCSS Forum that we so extensively advertised at camp?? --> http://ccss.cenrik.net ))

CCSS is an absolute BLAST!
Apply for it... (Apply for it!!)

There weren't many girls that actually went, so your sister will have an advantage in applying.

If you plan on doing computing stuff at uni, then this is great. The work can be tough if you dont have a programming background, however the language (Python) is good to learn, and nice once you know it. You split off into sections after the first couple of days, where you can take the web design path (so if you dont think the Python programming is your thing, or you just like web design, then you can do the web design.)
However, this year there were so many more coders than last year (where lots of people ended up doing the web stuff), and the search engines were on the whole so much better than last years!

The 200 bucks is SO worth it! You'll meet great people, and learn heaps.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
whoops...i never realised there was a forum for past students...thanks for the info

ratherbesleepin

Nah, Foster wasn't the expert programmer, just the expert web designer

CCSS was heaps cool - unfortunately though, i went a year early and i think i was in a little over my head. Amazing what it did though for my hsc and prelim sdd work.

Fosweb

HSC
yep - thats right. i bailed out in 2002 from the programming bit, but had to do programming in 2003, because for returning students there is less emphasis on the web design bit...
however - we still managed to get a cool site going in 2003...

they say that python and vb aren't good together...

ErgoSum

HSC
Ey i went to that

I thought it was ok, a bit too much on the programming and not enough on the social side, but otherwise was a pleasant way to spend a week. I did programming for the search engine but they help you a lot.

ErgoSum

HSC
HMm

I went year before last i guess so 2001? 2002? im first year uni now and i went sometime in year 11 i think, seems like a long time ago now. Funny thing cos ive seen a few of the lecturers there in the halls around sydney uni..Hell ill probably get involved in a year or two

ErgoSum

HSC
Correction 2002

Ive been informed by a friend who also attented that it was 2002 ... seems so long ago

ErgoSum

HSC
What group... geeze thats a good question
but hey my friend alpha says you are on her contact list... so i dunno thats not even 6 degrees of seperation

Fosweb

HSC
I remember Alpha... She is still on my msn, but i havent spoken to her for ages now...

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I remember that.

That was cool. I went to the one in January.

There's a forum for it? It so was not advertised extensively in the week. Anyway I was in umm, I don't remember what group I was in XD. I remember I had to stand up in front of everyone, and I hate public speaking (hate as in can't do it). Oh well. I had fun.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
lucky me...we nominated others to go up and speak, but i helped with the content of the speech:D

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I remember I had an English teacher in my group. I found out by saying that English was the biggest waste of time in the world. I also remember playing Quake all night. My friend called herself Britney and one of the tutors called her Britney for the rest of the week.

Also I remember Monsters Inc.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
hmm...was the english teacher a lady teacher?...yeah i had fun there..I dont think i went to the games night, I dont play that much...hmm..i remember some guys in my group loved coke, and they made a pyramid of coke cans in the computer room at the womens college..yeah monsters inc and ocean 11..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)