Sydney uni question about enrolling (1 Viewer)

speedofsound

HSC
Okay, 1) is there anything else we are meant to do before the enrollment next Thursday? We're not supposed to accept our offer online or anything, are we?

And 2) does anyone know if we have to have decided on majors by Thursday next week as well?

lett21

HSC
N/A
Also, when and where do we apply for HECS?

cole-

HSC
N/A
You don't have to do anything before Thursday, it will all be taken care of.
In reference to your majors, it's all relevant to your degree, some may require you to choose units out of required areas etc. but this shouldnt give you reason to panic.
You're able to change units until about the second week of March, either online, or you can get some help doing it at Uni. And it's really easy to do.
I fixed all mine up on my timetabling during O'Week.

ibbi00

HSC
Okay, let's make this thread a USyd Q&A for newbies then shall we?

Speaking of which, I was looking at the USyd handbook for Biomedical Engineering. The table has this 'N: Prohibition' thing. What does it mean?

For instance MATH1001 - Differential Calculus has N MATH1011, MATH1901, MATH1906, MATH1111. What does this mean? Is it like different classes/tutorials and such?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, yeah I was wondering about enrolment too, particularly because all the UNSW's are whinging about theirs ;)

As for the majors question, I emailed someone in the arts faculty at the uni the other day and they just replied to me, it's probably relevant to your question (but not to my original one, ironically...)

"You will not need to be completely certain about your majors as you will have a year to decide on that. You should have a shortlist, however, of possible majors organised as the units you will undertake in your first year will determine what pre-requisites you have completed. These pre-requisites are required for doing senior units, which are the requirement for majors. You will need to select your subjects for 2011 on enrolment day, so please have them ready when you come in to enrol."

Yeah see I think that's just for normal arts degrees, so that would be the case for you. (well, I know you're doing media/comm, but it would still apply I think.) Because I'm doing adv honours though, we don't have to do the pre-requisite junior subjects because we skip straight to second year. That's why I was asking the question about deciding majors straight away but he doesn't seem to have answered that for my case. :/

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Also, when and where do we apply for HECS?
Application for HECS is done at the university on the day. They give you various array of forms to fill out, with one of them pertaining to payment details (i.e. HECS). Make sure you bring your TFN along as well.

Failure_123

HSC
1. don't need to do anything before your enrolment day.
2. on the day, you'll be given several booklets etc in which you have to fill out (this is where you put the junior core subjects in).
3. majors are not chosen yet until 2nd year if iirc.
4. you'll have to line up at your given location and provide your TFN, take a photo for your student ID etc. All this will be explained in the letter that should arrive later today.

Misyndo

HSC
Okay, let's make this thread a USyd Q&A for newbies then shall we?

Speaking of which, I was looking at the USyd handbook for Biomedical Engineering. The table has this 'N: Prohibition' thing. What does it mean?

For instance MATH1001 - Differential Calculus has N MATH1011, MATH1901, MATH1906, MATH1111. What does this mean? Is it like different classes/tutorials and such?
Basically it means you can't take MATH1001 AND any of the "N: Prohibition" subjects at the same time.

And 2) does anyone know if we have to have decided on majors by Thursday next week as well?
I guess the only important thing is that some 2nd/3rd year subjects have pre-requisites.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Sorry to budge in, but for returning students at usyd, we can change our pre-enrolled courses right? Student Admin at USYD is not allowing me to edit my course planner until O-Week

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Sorry to budge in, but for returning students at usyd, we can change our pre-enrolled courses right? Student Admin at USYD is not allowing me to edit my course planner until O-Week
Pre-enrolment has closed. We can change them once enrolment opens.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Hey, yeah I was wondering about enrolment too, particularly because all the UNSW's are whinging about theirs ;)

As for the majors question, I emailed someone in the arts faculty at the uni the other day and they just replied to me, it's probably relevant to your question (but not to my original one, ironically...)

"You will not need to be completely certain about your majors as you will have a year to decide on that. You should have a shortlist, however, of possible majors organised as the units you will undertake in your first year will determine what pre-requisites you have completed. These pre-requisites are required for doing senior units, which are the requirement for majors. You will need to select your subjects for 2011 on enrolment day, so please have them ready when you come in to enrol."

Yeah see I think that's just for normal arts degrees, so that would be the case for you. (well, I know you're doing media/comm, but it would still apply I think.) Because I'm doing adv honours though, we don't have to do the pre-requisite junior subjects because we skip straight to second year. That's why I was asking the question about deciding majors straight away but he doesn't seem to have answered that for my case. :/
If you're doing adv hons, you'll need to choose 2-3 possible majors and enrol in senior subjects for them. At this stage you don't need to have decided which one you're going to do your honours in, but obviously you have to start working towards an extended major which means by the end of the year you'd want to have done 3 - or even better 4 - senior units in the subjects you might major in. You also need to check if there are any specific units which you need to do to qualify for honours in your chosen subjects.

JustforLOLs

Banned
HSC
Bring a credit card to get a % slashed off your HECS. You want to bring your parents along just in case. I enrolled alone and didn't get the BONUS PRICE.

izzy88

HSC
Bring a credit card to get a % slashed off your HECS. You want to bring your parents along just in case. I enrolled alone and didn't get the BONUS PRICE.
Do you mean the discount for paying off your hecs debt up front? Yes you can get a percentage off if you pay up front, but obviously its only useful if you have the money to. You don't have to pay anything if you dont want to- just have it all go on your hecs debt.

eeemily

HSC
ok few questions here...
so i won't look totally weird/embarrassing if i show up at enrolment with my mum so she can sort out the HECS stuff? i won't be the only one?

do we only enrol for semester 1? or also semester 2?

i'm doing bachelor of arts and since we dont get our timetable till just before o-week and arts has no core subjects, at enrolment do we basically tell them our course preferences? and number them by which one we want to do most? since we need 4 courses per semester, how many preferences do we need?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ok few questions here...
so i won't look totally weird/embarrassing if i show up at enrolment with my mum so she can sort out the HECS stuff? i won't be the only one?

i'm doing bachelor of arts and since we dont get our timetable till just before o-week and arts has no core subjects, at enrolment do we basically tell them our course preferences? and number them by which one we want to do most? since we need 4 courses per semester, how many preferences do we need?
A few people do that, it is fine.
You enrol for sem 1
Not sure about arts unfortunately but I'd assume you tell them course preferences.

izzy88

HSC
ok few questions here...

I didn't go to enrolment so i can't tell you if many people bring their parents. But you would only need to pay money if you are planning on paying some of your hecs debt up front- otherwise you just fill in the forms. You will need a tax file number though.

You enrol for both semester 1 and 2, but you can always change your semester 2 subjects closer to the time- you just need to put something down.

As for choosing subjects for your arts degree- you don't need preferences, you just choose to enrol in 4 subjects- they don't have limits on numbers. So for semester 1 you choses 4 subjects, and semester 2 you choose another 4 subjects. Here is a link to the faculty of arts handbook- it will have listed what subjects are on offer for each semester (they are called 'units of study'). http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/08_tables_a.shtml
edit: The only thing that may happen, is that when you do get your timetable, you may have chosen subjects that clash (lecture wise), in which case you may have to drop one of them and choose another. However you don't have to worry about this until the timetables come out (although you can see when lectures are on when you have your receieved your unikey login under the 'my study' tab you can search the subject timetables).

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
ok few questions here...

A lot of people go with their parents (between a third and half), don't worry about it.

It's easier to enrol for both semesters straight up so I'd suggest doing this, otherwise it's more paperwork later on and there might be some issues with giving you a concession card for the whole year if you're only enrolled for first semester.

There's a subject outline book in hardcopy when you enroll which you can look through for the subjects you want to do. Or, you can look through the subjects online (i'll find a link for you in a min). You will get the four subjects you apply for, unless there's a clash in times that they run, in which you can choose to miss certain lectures, or choose a different subject. In most cases you can assume you'll get all four you want, and you only apply for those four (it's not a preferential scheme). A lot of people in first year do a variety of different subjects because there's a lot more on offer at uni level that you won't have done in school before and could find interesting. Try a bunch of new things, especially in first sem. If you want to start thinking about a major, you can choose more relevant subjects in second sem or even second year.

nb: 'course' is different to 'subject'. a 'Course' is something like arts, science, law etc. A subject is the individual subject you study (with full workload you do four of these each sem).

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
The reason why you can't change your enrolment now is because currently the Student Centre is processing large amounts of student data which slows down the system for you. If you were trying to change your enrolment at the same time, you would slow down the process within the Student Centre. We anticipate that you should be able to change your enrolment by the middle of February.

You only pick four Units of Study per semester regardless of whether they clash or not. If you have a clash, there are two possible situations: i) you get a timetable or ii) you don't.

If you get a timetable with a clash, it will be outlined in red and tell you there is a clash. If you fall into this category, it means that there is only one option for the two clashing classes and you either need to live with the clash or change subjects.

If you don't get a timetable, it means that there are multiple options for classes in each subject, but there is a clash in every possible timetable you could get. We want you to be able to pick your clash, which is why we don't give you a timetable. You'll go into a different room where you'll discuss with someone from timetabling what you want to do.

HSC2010

HSC
So when enrolling do we organise our timetable and get given a timetable on the day?
If not, when are timetables done?
(btw I'm engineering)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)