Sylvia Plath (1 Viewer)

arrested development
HSC
i am in love with her poems. *sigh* she was amazing.

i'm yet to read any of her prosaic works; The Bell Jar is next on my list of books to read though! i hear a Hollywood adaptation of the novel is in the works at the moment!

Always

HSC
Didn't she commit suicide by sticking her head in an oven?

Definitely influential and very fascinating, though reading about her life scares me.

arrested development
HSC
Always said:

Definitely influential and very fascinating, though reading about her life scares me.
yeah. :S

i don't find her actual life scary at all... it's the fact that i can relate to so many of her thoughts and ideas that freaks me out. big time.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
our english tutor last semester was an obvious feminist.
she made us read plath and and woolf every lesson

Mr Lovepony

HSC
I've enjoyed reading The Bell Jar, even more than The Catcher in the Rye (they seem to get compared a lot). Though it left me depressed quite a bit.

shelly cat

HSC
Appreciating Sylvia Plath does not exactly make you a feminist?
She was a great feminist due to the supression that she was under by her father and ted (husband). Lady lazarus highlights this the best.
The bell Jar is a must read, possibly the best Autobiographical reads.
There is an amazing movie already out along the lines of her life called 'Sylvia'(2003); excellent movie. Yes, there is another movie rumoured to be comming about he life. Apparently Julia Stiles is behind the scenes with it.
My favourite poem would be 'The applicant'.

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
Always said:

Yep. But first she made the kids sandwiches and put them to bed. Kudos for that.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I thought she killed herself early in the morning, and was found by a cleaner/house keeper type, who got knocked out by the fumes herself?

Either way, she's a wonderful poet and definitely important, but she's not the be all and end-all to poetry. Though I agree with shelly cat, The Applicant is my favourite of her poems too.
I used to be obsessed with The Bell Jar when I was about fifteen, but I've read it so much now that I'm a little sick of it.

shelly cat

HSC
My opinion she did want to succeed in her suicide her poems and "the Bell jar" point that way.

She gased herself to death in the kitchen.

arrested development
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
I think there has been a movie that's an adpation of 'The Bell Jar', and it was a big flop that soon went into oblivion. But it's somewhere out there...
:uhhuh: yeah, there was a horrible version of it made a while ago, but this is actually going to be a fairly big (and hopefully good) one, i think.

arrested development
HSC
oh, and i think my favourite of her poems might be 'cut'. i was just reading through my book of all her poetry last night and 'cut' always stands out to me and sends chills down my spine.

arrested development
HSC
^^ why don't you think so? do you just not like her work, or do you think her poems are actually overrated? i'm just curious.

arrested development
HSC
oh ok, you're probably right (i certainly don't know as much about poetry as you do). i do really, really like her poems though.

nwatts

HSC
oddly enough i think anne sexton's poetry is more interesting than plath's, considering i think they were pals, and plath is far more popular.

plath bores me really.

HSC
i think she's overrated and her poems are so .. blah. there's only so many poems to read about her lover dude or her dad, and it gets really fucking old. her style just does nothing for me.

plus i'm pretty sure studying her poems for months during the hsc made me dislike her stuff even more

shelly cat

HSC
I am interested too as to why you do not believe her to be one of the most influentual poets of our modern age.

shelly cat

HSC
katietheskatie said:
i think she's overrated and her poems are so .. blah. there's only so many poems to read about her lover dude or her dad, and it gets really fucking old. her style just does nothing for me.

plus i'm pretty sure studying her poems for months during the hsc made me dislike her stuff even more
So what would you deem to not be overrated????

me1989

HSC
I was just wondering if this was written by Sylvia Plath, for there are websites which say that it is written by Plath and others say that it is written by Christina Rossetti.
If you do know can you please let me know.

A Better Resurrection
I have no wit, I have no words, no tears;
My heart within me like a stone
Is numbed too much for hopes or fears;
Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
A lift mine eyes, but dimmed with grief
No everlasting hills I see;
My life is like the falling leaf;
O Jesus, quicken me.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)