TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELVES! The Worrying rise of a conservative youth! (1 Viewer)

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
I just wanted to see if there was anyone on the BOS website without ultra conservative, boring economics based views of life!
I have been absolutely astounded by the abundance of conservative students in the BOS student community...people who can turn the most artistic/interesting/fun dicussions into a mathematics equation or something equally boring to do with home loans, GDP, or shares!

Jeez guys! Live a little! You're young! Expecially those of you coming straight out of school this year (2006), liven up and have some fun.

It's really depressing to hear people of my generation happy with 'the way things are,' without any vision for the future! SCARED OF CHANGE! AHHHHH it's so infuriating...i don't even know why i post anymore. Anything i say that is remotely liberal is immediately cut-down, en masse!

Is there anyone out there who feels the same way as i do?
That our generation has become prematurely conservative in a big way, is worrying.

We don't seem to care about the real issues (the deteriorating environment, poverty both abroad and domestically, and the loss of workers rights to big business), and seem more interested in 'keeping the economy strong!'
WOO ROCK ON ECONOMY! YEH!

_dhj_ said:
Perhaps it is more accurate (albeit simplistic) to say that youth of today care more about themselves than others. That would explain the shift towards apathetic and libertarian view.
PLEASE fellow liberal thinkers...come out of the BOS woodwork! HELP!

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
hazaar said:
We don't seem to care about the real issues (the deteriorating environment, poverty both abroad and domestically, and the loss of workers rights to big business), and seem more interested in 'keeping the economy strong!'
WOO ROCK ON ECONOMY! YEH!

PLEASE fellow liberal thinkers...come out of the BOS woodwork! HELP!
Yes because keeping the economy strong is in no way connected with lowering the domestic poverty rate.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
As a member of the NSW Young Liberal Right I'll assume you're referring to me in your rather incomprehensible post, and will be happy to field any questions from you about my ideology or why I chose it.

I'm also not at all happy with the way things are, I am concerned about the environment (I advocate pollution taxes and nuclear power for the time being, and movement to more renewable sources once they become viable) and the abnormally high levels of taxation under the Iemma government make me sad.

Last edited:

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Yes i know...i'm not the best when it comes to expressing myself.
Especially when it's something i'm pasisonate about...haha!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
After people realise that we've moved too far to the right the youth of the day will once again adopt a proactive left-wing stance.

History is driven by moves to the extremes. That is why it always overshoots equilibrium.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I think the fact the libertarian/conservative right is so vocal in these forums does not reflect any dominance from that political leaning in mainstream youth.
I kinda think a few smart, witty libertarians came to prominence on BOS and it cottoned on, with people on the left being discouraged from expressing their economic views. This means that there has been extensive common ground and productive discussion about social issues, but less about economics because educated users like WAF tend to dominate those threads and those that oppose them are intimidated. That's just a guess.
I don't think you are entirely justified in what you're saying though, there are quite a number of vocal users on the left.
And frankly, I think you're a bit of an idiot and shallow views like yours are fuel for the conservatives to destroy the left.

Last edited:

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
banco55 said:
Yes because keeping the economy strong is in no way connected with lowering the domestic poverty rate.
Money isn't being used practically to fix the problem though! There are many indigenous communities in australia living in third-world conditions....yet continually nothing is done!
And this is in lieu of the trillion dollars we continue to spend on a bloody war.
600,000 Iraqi deaths and counting...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
dieburndie said:
I think the fact the libertarian/conservative right is so vocal in these forums does not reflect any dominance from that political leaning in mainstream youth.
I kinda think a few smart, witty libertarians came to prominence on BOS and it cottoned on, with people on the left being discouraged from expressing their economic views. This means that there has been extensive common ground and productive discussion about social issues, but less about economics because educated users like WAF tend to dominate those threads and those that oppose them are intimidated. That's just a guess.
I don't think you are entirely justified in what you're saying though, there are quite a number of vocal users on the left.
And frankly, I think you're a bit of an idiot and shallow reactionary views like yours are fuel for the conservatives to destroy the left.
Hahaha I hardly post here anymore and I'm being accused of intimidating people.

:(

banco55

HSC
hazaar said:
Money isn't being used practically to fix the problem though! There are many indigenous communities in australia living in third-world conditions....yet continually nothing is done!
And this is in lieu of the trillion dollars we continue to spend on a bloody war.
What are you talking about? Truckloads of money has been pumped into aboriginal communities over the past 20 years it just doesn't seem to have done much.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
dieburndie said:
And frankly, I think you're a bit of an idiot and shallow reactionary views like yours are fuel for the conservatives to destroy the left.
I think the thread-starter raised an interesting point to be honest, although somewhat misconstrued in its representation of today's situation.

Perhaps it is more accurate (albeit simplistic) to say that youth of today care more about themselves than others. That would explain the shift towards apathetic and libertarian views.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Yeah I was just using you as an example because you just posted, it could have been any user with similar views. You must admit, you have had entire threads devoted to you arguing with people over economics, and I haven't really seen many people 'beat' you.

Edit: Directed at Withoutaface, just to avoid any confusion.

Last edited:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Perhaps it is more accurate (albeit simplistic) to say that youth of today care more about themselves than others. That would explain the shift towards apathetic and libertarian views.
That I completely agree with.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
dieburndie said:
And frankly, I think you're a bit of an idiot and shallow views like yours are fuel for the conservatives to destroy the left.
I'm sorry....it's just that i'd had enough....it was a bit of an incomprehensible rant but it's what i feel.
But i agree with you entirely.....i just haven't encountered many liberal thinkers.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hazaar said:
Those indigenous communities are the way they are for a number of reasons:
1. They live in remote areas by their own choice. You don't move out to the middle of nowhere and just expect jobs to magically appear.
2. No matter how much money is poured into the communities in welfare it doesn't change anything. A new approach needs to be adopted where they are given courses in how to integrate properly and found jobs in regional centres. Those that refuse will simply have their welfare cut off.

On a side note I don't endorse the Iraq war but the methods used to conduct that study that brought up the 600 000 number were crap, especially considering that every other study came to a conclusion of about 1/10 that size.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I think the thread-starter raised an interesting point to be honest, although somewhat misconstrued in its representation of today's situation.

Thankyou...you poignantly clarified my thoughts
I'm so shit at expressing myself...but this is very interesting.
My thread has obviously hit a nerve!

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
_dhj_ said:

So the left wing students on welfare who advocate free education and higher youth allowance aren't thinking of themselves? Trying to polarise the reasons people choose to be left or right wing in such terms doesn't help anyone.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
hazaar said:
I'm sorry....it's just that i'd had enough....it was a bit of an incomprehensible rant but it's what i feel.
But i agree with you entirely.....i just haven't encountered many liberal thinkers.
Perhaps what I said was a little on the harsh side, I just meant that you needed more of a basis for what you were saying otherwise the side you are criticising will tear you to shreds.
But I do definitely feel discouraged from expressing my green/liberal views most of the time because I know I will most likely be treated with some hostility, and not much will come from it.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
withoutaface said:
On a side note I don't endorse the Iraq war but the methods used to conduct that study that brought up the 600 000 number were crap, especially considering that every other study came to a conclusion of about 1/10 that size.
the methods used in the study are widely accepted as fair and objective.
The same methods were used to determine the amount of civilian casualties in darfur and other warzones....yet none of the pollies that complained about the iraq study even so much as batted an eyelid....

no vested interests i guess....

but moving back to what the thread's about....

Last edited:

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
dieburndie said:
Perhaps what I said was a little on the harsh side, I just meant that you needed more of a basis for what you were saying otherwise the side you are criticising will tear you to shreds.
But I do definitely feel discouraged from expressing my green/liberal views most of the time because I know I will most likely be treated with some hostility, and not much will come from it.
point taken.....that's exactly how i feel...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)