TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELVES! The Worrying rise of a conservative youth! (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Yes

You're not liberating yourself and you're doing a role that society puts you in.

You SHOULD be trying to break glass ceilings, gentleman's clubs, governor generalship, i don't know... That's a woman's place.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Oh thats right, my major, for some reasons it keeps cropping up in my International Relations major, would you believe I even did a couple of courses dedicated to it?? Who'd have thought?
Sucks to be you then.
Though I'm presuming your problem was that you couldn't put all of your imagined angst on behalf of the Palestinians down on paper.
The exact opposite
Basic just about covers it. Love the one liner.
So I openly stated that what I was saying was basic, and in response you're all "Yeah that's TRUE". I'm hurting guy, seriously.

Congratulations given your opinions it seems you have an intellect greater than is displayed in your posts.
My posts are fine, you're just saying I lack intelligence because I'm arguing with you.

Is this where you laugh, and disappear in a puff of smoke? Maybe it impresses simpletons but I don't think it flies here.
I don't think I understand what you're trying to say here. The wicked witches broom fails in forum conditions?

Woohoo, would you like a sticker? Maybe a wolly-pop? Been there done that, incidentally uni is like a HSC twice a year, and my first exam is tomorrow morning
Would be in some way relevant If I compared what I was doing now to uni. I merely used an exam as my reason for not writing much.
Remember this only started because you attacked my near-neutral post which just argued that there was a reason people on the left were quiet here. You had to start spouting shit about all leftists lacking knowledge etc.
It's merely a political stance, leaning either way does not indicate intelligence.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm just saying that if destiny doesn't exist, and we act as if it does then we're not getting the best outcome. If it does, and we act as if it doesn't, no harm comes of it because there is no other way things could be.
That makes sense thanks for clarifying.

Believing something that's not true will not necessarily yield a worse outcome. For example, even though god does not exist, the fact that most people are religious does not necessarily worsen society as a whole. In the case of the destiny argument, it is hard to envisage a situation where most people will actually believe in destiny in the sense that they will act on it. Assuming that it doesn't exist, and people act as if it does, crime only constitutes one facet of the outcome. People may also be more compassionate and understanding of others and their actions (which I believe would be a good thing).

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
To Malfoy-

I didn't mean to imply that being a housewife was a less valid choice than become a lawyer etc. What Philomena implied (in my opinion) was that the ONLY choice for women is to become a housewife, which is wrong.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
_dhj_ said:
There are a few outcomes of him being "held accountable" for his actions. It will deter him, and others from doing criminal acts which are detrimental to society (adding to the factors that determine whether they will commit particular criminal acts in the future). It will give comfort to the friends and relatives of the deceased. It will also (as your post demonstrated) satisfy the broad community's sense of "justice", regardless of whether their perception of the concept is correct.

If we could predict the future, we would definately have a "choice" over our actions. But without the knowledge of what would have happened our "choice" is always the best choice made in the circumstances (from our perspective when the choice is made).
So in essence, even though he had no control over what he did, he should be punished for it regardless. I will never understand determinism.

gerhard

HSC
Is there any logical reason to actually believe that we have real choices?
I mean if you believe in a soul then you could believe we have choice, but it seems that the whole of science is focussed towards the belief that we dont have real choices, and all our choices are a combination of our environment/experience and genetics/hereditary.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Malfoy said:
I agree with her in a way - women and men are fundamentally different, no matter if modern feminists refuse to believe this is the case.
this is a serious question, who are these 'modern feminists'? i don't know anyone, feminist or not, who believes women are superior to men, or even anyone who believes there to be no differences between the genders

SimonCrean

not actually simon crean
HSC
N/A
Philomena_86 said:
I love howard and I am CONSERVATIVE why just because we are young must be like every other stupid person at uni and be a radical lefty!

As for feminism I believe in equal rights for men and women but i also dont believe women must constantly want to be men. They are sexually aggressive like men, in the workforce they want to copy men and they even reject motherhood in the bid to be 'equal'.
Women need to accept that we have a different role to men, yes we are equal BUT WE ARENT MEN AND DONT HAVE TO BE THEM. We can be just as liberated being educated and then becoming a full time mother!!!
Conservative and a feminist?

I just can't wait until you have your first child and see how wonderfully family friendly the current government is.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
hazaar said:
I just wanted to see if there was anyone on the BOS website without ultra conservative, boring economics based views of life!
I have been absolutely astounded by the abundance of conservative students in the BOS student community...people who can turn the most artistic/interesting/fun dicussions into a mathematics equation or something equally boring to do with home loans, GDP, or shares!

Jeez guys! Live a little! You're young! Expecially those of you coming straight out of school this year (2006), liven up and have some fun.

It's really depressing to hear people of my generation happy with 'the way things are,' without any vision for the future! SCARED OF CHANGE! AHHHHH it's so infuriating...i don't even know why i post anymore. Anything i say that is remotely liberal is immediately cut-down, en masse!

Is there anyone out there who feels the same way as i do?
That our generation has become prematurely conservative in a big way, is worrying.

We don't seem to care about the real issues (the deteriorating environment, poverty both abroad and domestically, and the loss of workers rights to big business), and seem more interested in 'keeping the economy strong!'
WOO ROCK ON ECONOMY! YEH!

PLEASE fellow liberal thinkers...come out of the BOS woodwork! HELP!
i'm pretty liberal in my politics, but this post made me cringe. stop being an idiot

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Malfoy said:
She was implying that following your dream of becoming a full-time mother (and yes, some women have this dream) instead of bowing to pressure to be a career woman can be as fulfilling and liberating as being a career woman if you so desire. eg. a person I know doing a rather demanding degree but who is doing it out of interest - her real dream in life is to be a stay at home mother.

I agree with her in a way - women and men are fundamentally different, no matter if modern feminists refuse to believe this is the case.
Feminism and gender isn't as easy as that.

So, I take it, that women are inherently different? Therefore, because they are female and because childbirth and early childhood caring are tasks specific to mothers, women are entitled to paid maternity leave to recongise their gender difference? Or perhaps women are the same as men and therefore are not entitled to any special 'treatment' when they 'choose' to have a child.

As for the girl doing her dream degree with no intention of 'working'. She's a part of the problem of women who go to uni and never pay back their HECS fees. She doesn't need a degree to be a good mother and full time carer. One thing is for sure, she is going to have to nab a well paid husband. Not many people can afford to live in Sydney and raise a family on one income.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
wikiwiki said:
liberal = free markets, free people.

Are you sure you aren't just perverting the phrase.
liberal is ordinarily associated with centre left wing politics. Liberals are a conservative party in Australia.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
wikiwiki said:
YOU FUCKWIT THAT IS IN INCORRECT. YOU STALINIST MOTHERFUCKER GO VOTE FOR HITLER.

A liberal promotes liberty in the negative sense. Until the early 20th century everyone agreed on this term until you stupid motherfuckers who should never have gone beyond primary school decided to take it upon yourselves to rape English. You are the Hilaly's of the linguistic world.

The Liberal Party has nothing to do with liberal either, the conservatives have equally abused the word.
I said liberal ordinarily refers to something (ordinarily being a reference to language commonly used). I did not specify the historical meaning of liberalism.

Language Nazis like yourself should be gassed.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Or perhaps there should be gender neutral early carers leave so that the primary carer can have the time off to take care of the child?
Why does it have to be gender neutral? We already have 52 weeks unpaid maternity leave. Many awards also have a similar amount of unpaid parental leave as well.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Because where you were born had nothing to do with it, right?
Everyone has access to a free primary education.

Everyone has access to a free high school education.

It is the individual who has the choice of utilizing these services at their disposal.

If they do use them, everyone has access to university that costs nothing upfront.

If the individual has made the right decisions they can receive a university education and reap the employment benefits that this leads to.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
SimonCrean said:
Conservative and a feminist?

I just can't wait until you have your first child and see how wonderfully family friendly the current government is.
People providing for their own families is obviously a very foreign concept to you.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
People providing for their own families is obviously a very foreign concept to you.
People simply choose not to make that choice. They just dont have families. Hence the birthrate being 1.73.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
liberal = free markets, free people.
Are you of the opinion that the first implies the second and vice versa?

Heisenberg

HSC
wheredanton said:
Why does it have to be gender neutral? We already have 52 weeks unpaid maternity leave. Many awards also have a similar amount of unpaid parental leave as well.
If it needs to exist at all, it should be gender neutral because it is one of the primary reasons for the inequity between male and female salaries.

gerhard

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Aren't you conflating constrained choices with the lack of choice? Perhaps it is only a minor practical distinction but in my opinion a major philosophical one.
can you explain please.
i dont know much on this area but i really dont understand how someone could agree with both these statements; that every decision you make is based only on your genetics and your environment, and that you have free will.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)