Take the scholarship or not? (1 Viewer)

J-Wang

HSC
Ok guys, please, I really need some help as I face a serious dilemma. Sorry for the long message, but please take the time to read it all :)

So, I really wanted to go to Sydney Uni to study either Engineering/Commerce or Engineering/Adv.Science and this has always been my plan. However, on the day ATARs were released, Wollongong Uni called, offering me a pretty good scholarship. This scholarships is $6500 for the first year, $3500 for the second year, and $500 every year after this, let alone any scholarhips I would hope to pick up throughout my degree. This also allows me to graduate with "Scholar" written on my certificate, and allows me access to extra resources and my own, personal mentor. It also means that I have guarunteed employment with large Engineering firms over the large breaks as a research assistant, and also allows me to be approached first for any gap exchange programs. So, as you can see, it is quite good.
I need some advice on what you guys would do if you were in my situation; desperately wanting to go to Sydney, but being offered such a good opportunity at Wollongong.
I have a few options:
1. Go to Sydney and give up the scholarship
2. Go to Wollongong for the first year to get the $6500 and then transfer
3. Go to Wollongong, but needing to start in 2013
4. Take a gap year to earn youth allowance and do either options 2 or 3, but risking not being offered the scholarhip when I re-apply

Please help me by telling me which option you would do and why.

Thanks in advance :)

Peeik

HSC
Most scholarship is a contract that last your whole degree. You cant take the scholarship for one year and then transfer. Might want to double check with that.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Most scholarship is a contract that last your whole degree. You cant take the scholarship for one year and then transfer. Might want to double check with that.
I'd think this would be the case or going for that one year would be almost a no brainer!

What are your reasons for wanting to go to Usyd? You'll have to think about them and make up your decision. Tbh everything you have mentioned about Wollongong and the scholarship sounds very nice, that's quite a bit of money too.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Think about what medium you travel through will give you the best result afterward. I'd say the wollongong one, but that's just my opinion.

Anonym0us

HSC
If I were in your position, I would definitely go to wollongong :)

J-Wang

HSC
It's just that I have always aspired to go to Sydney Uni. I have already got accommondation there and the campus is amazing. Also, Sydney has an amazing reputation. Further, whilst wollongong is also good for engineering, sydney is much better for any of the degrees which i want to pair it with. It is also more recognised around the world. When do we find out about Sydney scholarships?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I can see, the Wollongong way sounds fantastic. You're pretty much in a win-win situation if you go to Wollongong.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a slightly different view.

I was in a similar position back in 2010 where I was offered a Faculty of Agriculture Merit Scholarship at USYD. I can choose to study Resource Economics or Agricultural Economics (very similar to a commerce degree) and be guaranteed employment when I graduate. I was very happy to hear about this and was set to study Agricultural Economics, however, I received the ATAR to study law at both USYD and UNSW. I always wanted to study law and this originated from my experience in primary school where we had a mock trial and I was succesful in claiming damages for my client.

I was unsure what to do. I considered completing the degree at USYD and later doing post graduate law at USYD/UNSW. However, that would take me a total of 7 years.

I finally made my decision to study law at UNSW after discussing with my school's careers advisor. Some of the questions we considered includes the following:
*What did I really want to study?
*Which uni did I like more from my experiences at Open Day/Info Day?
*Am I confident in getting a job (doesn't have to be at a law firm) after I graduate even if I am not guaranteed one now?
*Am I basing my decision solely on the scholarship?
*Will I regret later on not studying a certain degree?
*What will I get out of uni life?

We did discuss more things but I forgot them unfortunately. I just wanted to share some of the things I considered so you can (if you like) use them to come to a decision. Looking at my signature, you know what I chose. Many people probably think that I made a dumb decision but I do not regret it at all. I really enjoyed my 2 years of uni so far and am really happy to have made this decision 2 years ago.

TL;DR The question to ask is what would you regret more later on? Not studying at USYD or taking the scholarship?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I agree with someth1ng though, it all sounds like win-win at Wollongong. But if you have always aspired for Sydney uni then i guess the scholarship is a bit of a moot point.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If reputation is one of your big deciding factors, for engineering atleast, Usyd might not be the best option.

I agree with someth1ng though, it all sounds like win-win at Wollongong. But if you have always aspired for Sydney uni then i guess the scholarship is a bit of a moot point.
Even if it isn't the best option, it is still a good option.

starshine02

HSC
Woollongong sounds pretty good because of the scholarship. But if you really think that USyd is the right uni in terms of prestige then choose that. I think ultimately it depends on if you need/want the scholarship money or if you would prefer the uni you've been set on.

I would take the scholarship

studlyf

HSC
go to sydney.. you may regret throwing away your dream uni just for money

deswa1

HSC
My dad always told me to make my university choices as though scholarships and stuff weren't there- if you end up picking the one with the scholarshop, then that's a bonus. Consider that $3000 seems a lot now. Over your whole career, it means shit all. DON'T make your decision now just for the money. Go wollongong if you want or USyd if you want but please DON'T make that decision purely because of the scholarship.

Just my two cents

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My dad always told me to make my university choices as though scholarships and stuff weren't there- if you end up picking the one with the scholarshop, then that's a bonus. Consider that $3000 seems a lot now. Over your whole career, it means shit all. DON'T make your decision now just for the money. Go wollongong if you want or USyd if you want but please DON'T make that decision purely because of the scholarship.

Just my two cents
If you only want USyd slightly more but it's harder for you (such as you live in Wollongong), take the scholarship.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, but it's not like Wollongong have a bad reputation - quite the contrary. They are both good options.
You just implied that USyd wasn't very good (for engineering) and so, I incorrectly came to the conclusion that you meant that it wasn't a good option.

My apologies.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You just implied that USyd wasn't very good (for engineering) and so, I incorrectly came to the conclusion that you meant that it wasn't a good option.

My apologies.
Yeah kind of does look like that actually =S, might go back and take that out! I just meant that UNSW is the most highly regarded as far as reputation goes. All Eng courses are approved by Engineers Australia anyway, so you cant really go wrong at any uni as long as you have the right attitude and get good marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
J-Wang, if I were you, I would go for Option 1 (USyd) because it is my dream course. Yes you will be letting go of a ~10K scholarship, but to put things into perspective, 10K is not much when you start earning a good salary down the line. All the other bonuses Wollongong offers you (mentorship, summer work experience, exchange, scholar title) you can get them from USyd so it's not unique.

Edit: I personally had to let go of a 110K PhD scholarship from UNSW and took up a much lower-value scholarship from Cambridge, but I still chose Cambridge.

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
J-Wang, if I were you, I would go for Option 1 (USyd) because it is my dream course. Yes you will be letting go of a ~10K scholarship, but to put things into perspective, 10K is not much when you start earning a good salary down the line. All the other bonuses Wollongong offers you (mentorship, summer work experience, exchange, scholar title) you can get them from USyd so it's not unique.

Edit: I personally had to let go of a 110K PhD scholarship from UNSW and took up a much lower-value scholarship from Cambridge, but I still chose Cambridge.
WOW am I seeing it right?? But then again, you cant argue with cambridge :p

To OP, i think the best way is to ask yourself if you have any regrets picking USYD. Then ask yourself if you have any regrets picking wollongong. Then see which one outweighs the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)