Taking acturial studies as major (1 Viewer)

cutey_azn

HSC
Im currently a year 1 eng/com student doing math1131 as i have a relatively poor maths performance (band 6 for 2u and e3 for 3u), so would like to ask if you would recommend me to take acturial studies as my major???

just to refine on that, i have asked the asb student centre for advice and they said that i would be able to take actuarial studies although i have not taken 1151 however i just dont know if my mathematic background is sufficient enough for me to do actuarial studies as it is quite maths based

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Im currently a year 1 eng/com student doing math1131 as i have a relatively poor maths performance (band 6 for 2u and e3 for 3u), so would like to ask if you would recommend me to take acturial studies as my major???

just to refine on that, i have asked the asb student centre for advice and they said that i would be able to take actuarial studies although i have not taken 1151 however i just dont know if my mathematic background is sufficient enough for me to do actuarial studies as it is quite maths based
MATH1151 is a lot more difficult than MATH1131.

someguy12

HSC
Don't do it, it's boring as fuck. ACTL2001 has already driven me to alcoholism and it's only week 4, I can only imagine what's going to happen if I try to finish this degree. Fortunately, school of maths offers an escape route.

halapenyo

HSC
Don't do it, it's boring as fuck. ACTL2001 has already driven me to alcoholism and it's only week 4, I can only imagine what's going to happen if I try to finish this degree. Fortunately, school of maths offers an escape route.
the topics in math1151 are really interesting. is actl2001 kind of the same?

halapenyo

HSC

dont do it man you will struggle heaps. (not being rude, its just the truth)

HSC
Uni Grad
perhaps don't do actuarial studies. Won't be worthwhile. I reckon engineering would still be better for you

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

that's not a poor maths performance, you would do fine in actuarial studies if you worked hard enough. But I would recommend doing actl1001 next year since you start stats/probability in MATH1231.

someguy12

HSC
For stats in 1151 you get this chapter of the course notes which is very good. If you just borrowed the 1151 notes from somebody and read chapter 5 over the mid year break you would be fine I think.

pwldk

HSC
not recommended.

i got 97 in ex1 and 91 in ex2.
i dropped 1 or 2 marks before 1151 final and therefore didn't study much and the final is much harder than i was expecting and I pretty much screwed it and got only 60 overall.
and I made a few mistakes in those quiz in 1251 and prepared a looot for the final and I got 67 in 1251.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)