Tax file number. (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey guys,

Congratulations to all the people who received offers :). I'm accepting my offer now on "myUNSW" and I was wondering if I could skip the tax file number part and go onto fixing my timetable? I applied for a tax file number today (express post via. post office), so I should be able to obtain it in a few days, if not days, weeks. So can I skip it and come back to it later? Or will it be definite?

Thanks.

Sadiah

HSC
Hey guys,

Congratulations to all the people who received offers :). I'm accepting my offer now on "myUNSW" and I was wondering if I could skip the tax file number part and go onto fixing my timetable? I applied for a tax file number today (express post via. post office), so I should be able to obtain it in a few days, if not days, weeks. So can I skip it and come back to it later? Or will it be definite?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you can come back to it later. However, before the census date you must provide a letter confirming your application signed by the ATO if you do not recieve your tax file number in time.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'm pretty sure you can come back to it later. However, before the census date you must provide a letter confirming your application signed by the ATO if you do not recieve your tax file number in time.
Thanks Sadiah :).

Edit:

I get the following message :(.

Error
Field: Tax file number (TFN) must not be empty.

Real great. I think I'll call up UNSW tomorrow....

QUESTION #2:

Is it worth the risk of ticking "Full up-front payment of my student contribution amount (You only need to pay 80% of your student contribution amount on or before the census date)" to fix my timetable for best times? Or just wait till tomorrow for a call? Ugh.

Last edited:

henry08

HSC
N/A
You're bank would have it, they may give it to you.

Ring up the tax department?

Payslip?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You're bank would have it, they may give it to you.

Ring up the tax department?

Payslip?
Banks and other organisations that receive TFNs are prohibited by privacy laws from giving them out to anyone, including yourself. However, phone up the ATO Individual info line, and they'll give you the number over the phone if you can satisfy some basic proof of identity questions.

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
I'm in the same boat, kind off, I sent my TFN application off two weeks ago, haven't heard anything yet, I'm beginning to get a tad worried, as once all my UNE info arrives I need to enrol which requires a TFN, the application says it can take up to four weeks to get here....

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i knew i'd need it once i graduate so i filled out a notice and gave it to my careers advisor.

6-8 weeks later i got a letter in the mail with the TFN

pman

Banned
HSC
our school made us get ours in yr 9 incase we got a job, thing was, my parents wouldn't let me get a job!

pman

Banned
HSC
no you don't, I lost mine!

Edit: you do wish they told you it was required for enrollment though!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You have until the census date to finalise all this so don't panic.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You have until the census date to finalise all this so don't panic.
True, but is there anyone out there who's completing their timetable whilst waiting for their tax file number?

I want to see how many people risk it.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Is there no box that says "I don't yet have a TFN, but I have applied for one"? I remember seeing this when I enrolled.
My friend asked the same, but I'm pretty sure it's changed this year, unless I'm blind as a bat.

HSC
Perth chick haha :).

Any other UNSW people facing the same dilemma? Bump.
My TFN is scribbled down somewhere in my room, problem is, im overseas..
Choose upfront payment now, and later when you get your TFN, just go to "Commonwealth Govt Forms" under My Student Profile in myUNSW and put in your number.

no sweat lad

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
My TFN is scribbled down somewhere in my room, problem is, im overseas..
Choose upfront payment now, and later when you get your TFN, just go to "Commonwealth Govt Forms" under My Student Profile in myUNSW and put in your number.

no sweat lad
I wish someone told me this day 1. Thanks kevin, repped =].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)