Teacher Power??? (1 Viewer)

Asha.O

HSC
I was just wondering...do principals and head teachers have the power against students in not allowing them to do a subject in which they want to complete for the HSC???

Eg. Say for instance if someone wanted to do 2 unit maths and the teachers are forcing that someone to do general maths. Only that the principal is also backing up the head teacher...

What should the "someone" do in that circumstance?

bored of sc

HSC
Asha.O said:
I was just wondering...do principals and head teachers have the power against students in not allowing them to do a subject in which they want to complete for the HSC???
No! They can only recommend subject choices.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Asha.O said:

Eg. Say for instance if someone wanted to do 2 unit maths and the teachers are forcing that someone to do general maths. Only that the principal is also backing up the head teacher...

Yes. If they cannot timetable it, they cannot.

But in your own context, I don't think they can.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I guess it may also depend on which school system you go to.. I mean they may just say to you if you don't do this, we will withdraw you from the hsc. (i think they are allowed to do this, but they would give you some warning first).

not related to your situation, but i guess if the school didn't want you to do a particular subject, they just don't offer it. i'm pretty sure that some selective schools, they don't want you to do std english in yr 11, so they simply don't offer it.

sikhman said:
but yeah, if it fits into the timetable, keep complaining or ring up the board of studies....
yeh, keep complaining. but don't bother to ring the board its not their area, if you really want to ring someone, try you education sytem (eg. DET), but if its private, then the highest is probably the principal.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ring the DET's Director General's office.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
That sounds like a hassle....
People have done it. Especially in schools which restrict Chem/Phys to Top 72 in Science in Yr 10.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
In actual fact, the teachers at my school force people down if they don't do well. I know about 5-10 kids that were forced down into general maths because they are consistently achieving poor marks in 2U Exams.

Oh, and they also forced people down to Standard English if they weren't in the top 35 at the end of Year 10. Lucky my friend (who came 100-ish) held a fierce argument with my head teacher and is now sitting next to me in Advanced English :)

Sayangliss

HSC
My school recommends, but I do know that they forbid some students from choosing Extention English for year 11 because their marks weren't up to scratch (these were below pass marks though).
I think we're also implenting rank restriction on extention two math? So I'm guessing teachers technically do have the power? But it's really up to the school and how they want to run it? And even calling up BOS or whoever, would they really bother doing all that much?
I mean, John Della Bosca IS still technically our educations minister. :p

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
It happens in quite a few schools, which only restrict the TOP people from doing a course, just so the school can be ranked higher. Selfish. :(

I guess you could ring the Board of Studies. Speaking to the principal is stupid because the principals are usually idiots who sit on their lazy ass bums watching tv
all day.

But yeh...calling the Board of Studies is a bit off a hassle. SOmetimes threatening the school that you will change schools doesnt work either

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Sayangliss said:
My school recommends, but I do know that they forbid some students from choosing Extention English for year 11 because their marks weren't up to scratch (these were below pass marks though).
I think we're also implenting rank restriction on extention two math? So I'm guessing teachers technically do have the power? But it's really up to the school and how they want to run it? And even calling up BOS or whoever, would they really bother doing all that much?
I mean, John Della Bosca IS still technically our educations minister. :p
Yeah. My school can stop. Head teacher says: 'Take standard English or change to another school. Good luck. remember to decide on your option before Thursday, or else no Year 11 for you'

Sayangliss

HSC
nerdsforever said:
It happens in quite a few schools, which only restrict the TOP people from doing a course, just so the school can be ranked higher. Selfish. :(

I guess you could ring the Board of Studies. Speaking to the principal is stupid because the principals are usually idiots who sit on their lazy ass bums watching tv
all day.

But yeh...calling the Board of Studies is a bit off a hassle. SOmetimes threatening the school that you will change schools doesnt work either
That reminds me of what I read a while back, about the school somewhere in.. Blacktown? That sends their senior chemistry (or maybe it was science in general?) students to TAFE if the school doesn't think that they'll get into top 90 percentile.
That has media coverage, but I think it's still happening.

michael1990

HSC
Asha.O said:

The thing is, they are most likely to convince your parents you cannot do it.

They will say things like "he is not capable, would be wasting his time..."ETC

So they have some degree of power, but they do not have the last word.

Scinery

HSC
a guy in my school, was on probation for school certificate and then did really badly, so was "asked to leave the school" (selective) and his parents begged and begged for him to stay. but he wanted to do extension english..but the teachers obviously had a good hook behind them to "strongly recommend" him to not do it. so yeah he was basically disallowed.

Bright kid really...since he quit pot.

Asha.O

HSC
But this is a public school that this is happening to and not only are they stopping maths but also people from doing advanced English even though my friend got band 5 in the school certificate.

shaon0

HSC
Sayangliss said:
That reminds me of what I read a while back, about the school somewhere in.. Blacktown? That sends their senior chemistry (or maybe it was science in general?) students to TAFE if the school doesn't think that they'll get into top 90 percentile.
That has media coverage, but I think it's still happening.
thats exacty like Malek Fahd high school...they use the same policy.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Asha.O said:

Unfortunately yes, especially if the principal is behind it. I was in a similar situation before with English and I even contacted the Board of Studies and they said they have the power to do that.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
sikhman said:
damn.....i thought the bos could allow you to do it......but schools can't stop you from doing it through open high school can they?
the board will let you do whatever subjects you meet the criteria for, and so long as your have done it with some kind of accredited thing. (e.g. a school, private tutor, etc), but your school on the other hand may not offer it to you.

as far as i'm aware, they can't stop you from doing it through the open high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)