Teachers Being Away!!!! (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey guys,

At our school we are having some pretty big problems with teachers being away continually and/or canceling extension lessons without any notice.

The main problem is with one particular teacher who, while being a great teacher is constantly away, due to a recurring illness. I have him for Modern History and Extension History, while other year 12's have him for Economics.

In year 11, he was away for basically part of Term 1 and all of Term 2 and 3. While he was away all of his classes were replaced with random substitutes, all of whom had no qualifications in the particular subjects. Rather, they would just sit there eating and/or sleeping and occasionally, engage in chit-chat with students. One teacher actually used to bring a Tupperware container filled with nutrigrain and a plastic drink bottle filled with a protein shake. he just sat there all lesson eating and drinking and talking about how he was supposedly a bodyguard for Olivia Newton John.

While this was happening, nearly if not all, students made several complaints to the replacement coordinator, as well as the Studies Coordinator and they basically just sugar coated the whole situation and told us that everything would be fine and that he would be back. Each day it was like, no he'll be back next lesson, no next lesson.

Then in Term 3 of last year we got a supposedly experienced teacher to replace him and instead of teaching us the Preliminary Course on on Indochina he taught us the HSC Course - in a fashion that is. Then when the Preliminary Exam came around he panicked and realised he was teaching the wrong stuff for us once i asked him for the syllabus. When i asked for the syllabus during a library lesson, he was like 'ohh there's a syllabus?". He then googled syllabus on his laptop and was like wow the Board of Studies website and was like I should go on here more often. Ohh and this teacher has been teaching for at a guess over ten years.

Anyway the sick teacher for Modern/Ext. Hist/Eco who is also the HSIE Co-odinator came back for Year 12. But now he is starting to go off sick again and everyone is really worried and the school, just keeps saying its under control etc.

But its not under control. For Modern, we haven't really even started Russia and the Soviet Union or our personality - Trotsky. The Economics class is not even half way through the course content and people are getting marks of like 8%. In extension history, the class dropped from 7 to 4 students straight after the half yearly and we are not even half way through the content for it either.

And to top that off, we have a Modern Assignment due in less than two weeks on Collectivisation and Industrialisation, which no one really knows anything about, except from their own reading because we have done next to nothing on Russia.

Currently, I do 12 units and I'm ranked first in all bar Modern which I'm second in. So I could drop say Modern, but then that means extension history will count and well there's still the no teacher issue.

So really I'm in a catch 22 and when I or other students approach the School Executive, they really just try to brush it aside and frankly, I'm sick of having to teach myself and have glorified teachers or should I say babysitters present during lessons in which we should actually be learning.

I really want to do well and make the most of my final year, as I presume most do and this just makes it a whole lot harder and no one wants to know about it, teachers will say 'ohh don't worry it'll be fine there's heaps of time till the HSC, relax, go home, take a nap, you're worrying about nothing'. Then they patronise you even more by patting you on the shoulder and smile at you.

I'm sick of the whole sugar coating. Seriously, our school should start a Bakery.

On Monday, the whole 30 something eco students and the other students are going higher up, it' just not fair.

I know sickness is unavoidable and I feel bad for the teacher. But the school should have different procedures in place for issues like this.

My philosophy is - you go to school to learn via a process called teaching by a person called a teacher!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Feel sorry for you OP. I've had pretty good experiences with my teachers.

My history extension teacher knew he was going to be away for a few weeks so we did extra classes leading up to his absence, meaning we would be on track when he came back.

All my other teachers, when they have to be away, sickness or for whatever other reason, always leave detailed work to go on with, and their emails in case we need to contact them.

I think it comes down to the attitude of your teachers.

Go straight to the BoS; your principal will probably brush the problem off or stall. It's too close to the end to have things fuck up.

Last edited:

slowjam10

HSC
Thanks for your comment.

Yeah I'll see what happens on Monday and if we have no luck, we'll go to BOS.

HSC
wow, thats really bad. we're onto our 4th chem teacher for yr 12, but surprisingly we're going ok as far as content goes... our other teachers can be away a fair bit too but it hasnt had too much of an effect really

michael1990

HSC
We had a very similar situation in Economics.

This is what you need to do.

You need to go to the Deputy or Principal, tell them you will not stand for this any longer. They need to fix it immediately.

If they say its under control. Tell them you are sick of hearing this and if they do not fix it now, you will be forced to go above their heads.

If they do nothing within a certain time period that you do give them. You go to the minister for education (just write him/her a letter of whats happening) they will then give the principal whats called a 'ministerial'. This basically means that the principal is given 2 weeks to write a letter back telling the minister what he/she has done to fix the situation.

Trust me, if they do not respond to this they will be dealt with accordingly.
Also its really bad for the principal to recieve one of these.

P.s. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, do get your parents to do it.

IT WORKS> DO IT!

Good Luck, let me know how you go.

slowjam10

HSC
michael1990 said:
We had a very similar situation in Economics.

This is what you need to do.

You need to go to the Deputy or Principal, tell them you will not stand for this any longer. They need to fix it immediately.

If they say its under control. Tell them you are sick of hearing this and if they do not fix it now, you will be forced to go above their heads.

If they do nothing within a certain time period that you do give them. You go to the minister for education (just write him/her a letter of whats happening) they will then give the principal whats called a 'ministerial'. This basically means that the principal is given 2 weeks to write a letter back telling the minister what he/she has done to fix the situation.

Trust me, if they do not respond to this they will be dealt with accordingly.
Also its really bad for the principal to recieve one of these.

P.s. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, do get your parents to do it.

IT WORKS> DO IT!

Good Luck, let me know how you go.
Thanks for your advice Michael, I'll definetly take it on board and I'll let you no the outcome.

michael1990

HSC
slowjam10 said:
Thanks for your advice Michael, I'll definetly take it on board and I'll let you no the outcome.
It definitely works.

Also, if you feel as though you will be targeted by teachers or executive members, you can be anonymous.

slowjam10

HSC
michael1990 said:
It definitely works.

Also, if you feel as though you will be targeted by teachers or executive members, you can be anonymous.
Yeah, I do have that concern. I know people in previous years have had problems and as soon as they've been raised, things turn out adversely for them.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
slowjam10 said:
Yeah, I do have that concern. I know people in previous years have had problems and as soon as they've been raised, things turn out adversely for them.
Well just ring them, and send a letter. Best way to avoid it.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Holy shit... that's bad. :(

I hate it when people say 'who cares about the teacher, your marks depend on yourself' and crap like that...

slowjam10

HSC
Continuum said:
Holy shit... that's bad. :(

I hate it when people say 'who cares about the teacher, your marks depend on yourself' and crap like that...
yeah exactly, I mean I've had to teach myself in the past, but having a teacher there makes it generally alot easier and it's not like it's too much to ask for.

It really does severely disadvantage you not having a teacher.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are you also doing Ancient History - because you can't do Extension without doing either Ancient or Modern.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, feel for you OP. Michael1990 outlined things pretty well.

slowjam10

HSC
cem said:
Are you also doing Ancient History - because you can't do Extension without doing either Ancient or Modern.
Yeah I also do Ancient but I have a different teacher for that.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Basically prevalent problems.

I've missed like a whole term in English for the teacher had some optical surgery. That's dire.

The Bio teacher last term went on some 'business' so we missed like a month.

Our Chem lessons are always on some weird days when either it is a public holiday or carnivals and stuff.

I'm feeling guilty to say this but I can't resist my tempation: the further away from your teachers, the better. When the connection is lost, it's time-consuming to get acquainted again. I just find my school useless now. I'm sick of it!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:
Basically prevalent problems.

I've missed like a whole term in English for the teacher had some optical surgery. That's dire.

The Bio teacher last term went on some 'business' so we missed like a month.

Our Chem lessons are always on some weird days when either it is a public holiday or carnivals and stuff.

I'm feeling guilty to say this but I can't resist my tempation: the further away from your teachers, the better. When the connection is lost, it's time-consuming to get acquainted again. I just find my school useless now. I'm sick of it!
That's why you need to have a firm understanding of the topic. That way, you don't need to bother trying to acquaint yourself the same knowledge over and over again.

danz90

HSC
Back in the days of junior high school I used to celebrate if a teacher was away = free period! Now, since HSC Mode has kicked in, teacher being away is a bad thing, just puts us a bit behind in the course each time she/he is away.

slowjam10

HSC
danz90 said:
Back in the days of junior high school I used to celebrate if a teacher was away = free period! Now, since HSC Mode has kicked in, teacher being away is a bad thing, just puts us a bit behind in the course each time she/he is away.
yeah, that's how everyone used to feel. Now it really does become a setback.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yeah, i know how it feels, last year i was screwed over I had 3 teachers away around trial and Hsc time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)