Teacher's Bullshit or Sam's bullshit? (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Ok.. According to teacher's scaling affects only those in the middle, those at the top are pretty much exempt from scaling... so what is the top?

According to SAM a 95 in Senior Sciene is worth 78? Is this true? Cus I am definetly not doing Senior Sciene if that is the case...

If you get a 100 in Senior Sciene according to SAM it is only worth 90 also...

According to some teachers though, they say Senior Science is only "just" below Biology in scaling, so is SAM wrong? Or...?

A 50 in Ext History worth only 45??

This is clear discrimination by the BOS - I calculated that even if I get 95 inthe following subjects - Eco, English, Ext Hist, Ancient Hist, Ext1, Senior Sciene - the top mark you can get is 95.60... How is that fair?

I mean a constant 95 in those subjects should be worth more, at least a 98.6+ in my opinion.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
It's surprising how many teachers don't know shit.

Then there are the teachers who just fudge it to encourage/motivate the students, most of whom don't know any better 'cause they're not cool enough to frequent this site :)

LordPc

HSC
This is clear discrimination by the BOS - I calculated that even if I get 95 inthe following subjects - Eco, English, Ext Hist, Ancient Hist, Ext1, Senior Sciene - the top mark you can get is 95.60... How is that fair?

I mean a constant 95 in those subjects should be worth more, at least a 98.6+ in my opinion.
sam is fairly accurate, id say 99% of cases would fall within 2 points of what it gives you.

but that ATAR does sound fairly low for marks of that level. if you changed senoir science with biology/chem/phys you should be at the 98-99 level. ill admit i dont know anything about senior science or what they teach or learn, but the pure sciences are not all that hard if you dont slack off, and they will give you better returns ATAR wise

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ok.. According to teacher's scaling affects only those in the middle, those at the top are pretty much exempt from scaling... so what is the top?
This is generally true but not in relation to courses that are capped.

Senior science is usually capped.

You also can't test the truth of the statement by using SAM - because SAM shows aligned marks compared to scaled marks, not raw (or standardised) marks compared to scaled marks. Scaling is applied to your raw marks and the statement needs to be understood in that context.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Although I'd say SAM is pretty damn accurate as well - even though it uses the aligned marks to correlate between that and the UAI/ATAR.

Deathless

HSC
This is generally true but not in relation to courses that are capped.

Senior science is usually capped.

You also can't test the truth of the statement by using SAM - because SAM shows aligned marks compared to scaled marks, not raw (or standardised) marks compared to scaled marks. Scaling is applied to your raw marks and the statement needs to be understood in that context.
What do you mean by capped? I have no idea -_- But I was just playing around with Senior Science and if I had a mark of 75 it meant scaled 36.8? That's like whatever mark you get half it, and thats your scaled score?

Would it be better if I kept Modern or Chemistry (drop one and not take up Senior Science and run with 12 units) or drop them both for Senior Science and run with 12 units also?

I am doing terribly at Chemistry, quite good in Modern and never tried Senior Science or have aclue what it is except its easy?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
What do you mean by capped? I have no idea -_- But I was just playing around with Senior Science and if I had a mark of 75 it meant scaled 36.8? That's like whatever mark you get half it, and thats your scaled score?

Would it be better if I kept Modern or Chemistry (drop one and not take up Senior Science and run with 12 units) or drop them both for Senior Science and run with 12 units also?

I am doing terribly at Chemistry, quite good in Modern and never tried Senior Science or have aclue what it is except its easy?
capped means that even if u get full marks, you don't get 100 scaled score. Should try to avoid those subjects if you can.

Deathless

HSC
Oh. Is there a list on this site around of the capped subjects?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Look at the A3 table by clicking [URL='http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2008_table_A3.pdf"]here[/URL] and just look at the Max column. Anything that doesn't have a max scaled mark of 50 is capped XD
Not necessarily
Any subject that has a max HSC mark of 50 and a max scaled mark of <50 is capped.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Your link doesn't work?
Oh, sorry just fixed it. Had to type up the url code while i was in a rush lol.

Not necessarily
Any subject that has a max HSC mark of 50 and a max scaled mark of <50 is capped.
Actually, lots of capped subjects don't have a max HSC mark of 50. Take senior science for eg, in 2008 the max HSC mark was 49.5/50 (99/100) which got a scaled mark of 43.5/50 (87/100) XD

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ye but what if there was a subject with max HSC mark at 48~ and max scaled mark of 49~?
Surely the subject isn't capped, just that the max HSC mark doesn't warrant a scaled mark of 50

Arguing over a technicality
:(

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ye but what if there was a subject with max HSC mark at 48~ and max scaled mark of 49~?
Surely the subject isn't capped, just that the max HSC mark doesn't warrant a scaled mark of 50

Arguing over a technicality
:(
LOL, but doesn't capped mean you can't get 100/100 for a scaled mark? XD

youngminii

Banned
HSC
You only can't get 100/100 for a scaled mark if a 100 HSC mark doesn't give a 100 scaled mark. If a 98 HSC mark gives you a 99 scaled mark, then a 100 HSC mark would probably give you a 100 scaled mark, it's just that no one achieved that 100 HSC mark.
Difference between a subject actually being capped and a subject where nobody got the maximum possible mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)