• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Teachers crossing the line (1 Viewer)

x3Reii

HSC
Go to the head of that department. I'd be so pissed if that happened to me. Thats a breach of privacy; if they never asked you and just announced it to the class, then you have reason to plead your case.

I'm sure its probably no big deal because you don't care about those 2 units but at least get the teacher to apologise as they are disrespecting you.

Infatuate

HSC
If one of my teachers did that to me, I'd be furious.
Your teacher did not have the right to make your mark public.

RANK 1

HSC
what subject is it? if its a subject like SoR, then next time go into class with a speech prepared beforehand of why he's fuckwit and why his subject is useless, etc and bait the teacher into an argument of why you're not doing work etc, then unleash your reasons of why his subject is useless and everything else you can think of to belittle the teacher in front of the class. when they get you in trouble then tell them he started it and have a bunch of witnesses at the ready.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
OP may be in a situation where they don't have enough subjects but enough units, ie they're doing 4 subjects but 12 units or something like that, in of which case it might be a bit annoying to have to do the subject. I know some friends in this situation, they just don't bother studying for the subject they don't want to count.
But there might be an issue in the externals of a bad essay question or maybe you just felt sick/tired on one particular day on one of your stronger subjects. You won't perform as well and therefore may need those extra 2 units as a backup. You never know.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
AFAIK there is no such rule regarding disclosure of marks

my school posted internal rankings on a noticeboard for everyone to see

andreacchiop

HSC
I have a question for the BoS forums;

Recently I came last in my year in one of the trial HSC exams. While away from school, my teacher, had marked all the papers - and, as I am told, announced my mark to the class, singling me out (without me being there) in order to ridicule the mark I got in the test. When my friends got on MSN, they all were making fun of the result I got and laughing at me.

Now I, singely, bear the responsibility for the mark I achieved. Furthermore it should be said that I did not study for these 2 units - because they will not be counting toward my ATAR. As a result of that, it is fair to say that I didn't care about the results that I achieved. But my teacher, as far as i'm concerned - has completely crossed the moral and ethical lines that a teacher should not pass. The conditions of me achieving these marks (not studying, units not counting) is not known to anyone else - only the ridicule this teacher has foreplaced onto me.

What action should I take over this? Is it true that teachers should not be telling students other students marks - and/or the whole class? Past this is ridiculing acceptable?
Teachers are only allowed to say marks to the class if it is permissible by the student. The only time where any mark is said aloud is when the student says it. You were away, so your in the drivers seat. Its a matter on what your gonna do about it. I advise you take it up with the principle. BoS won't do anything.

Its not illegal for teachers to do this, but now something can be done about it. Go up and confront your teacher first. if nothing resolves, go to someone higher.

But yeah your teacher must be a sped somehow :p

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
AFAIK there is no such rule regarding disclosure of marks

my school posted internal rankings on a noticeboard for everyone to see

LOL, I remember that.

But I think there was a reason for it though:

1. Our school is a bit weird in that our Trial report only has a our -trial exam- marks/ranks on it, not a cumulative rank. Various departments (English/Maths/Science from memory) do this, and don't calculate cumulative rankings until way afterwards (because reports are due so soon after results come out, you don't have time to 'scab marks', or appeal a miscount or whatever). If you do want to appeal, you may, but it won't change on your report, it'll just change for the cumulative rankings.

2. There was that huge swine (or normal) flu epidemic that ran through our school a few days/weeks beforehand, and resulted in like.....700 kids being sick. Remember our English/Maths Trials? There was someone hacking away every few seconds - for the entire two (or three) hours. It was absolutely insane. Some people even brought facemasks to sit through the Trials.

khfreakau

HSC
But there might be an issue in the externals of a bad essay question or maybe you just felt sick/tired on one particular day on one of your stronger subjects. You won't perform as well and therefore may need those extra 2 units as a backup. You never know.
I do 10 units, as do ohexploitable, destinyliang, and a number of other people on this forum. it's a risk you decide to take, but it's a pretty uncommon situation.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
I do 10 units, as do ohexploitable, destinyliang, and a number of other people on this forum. it's a risk you decide to take, but it's a pretty uncommon situation.
its not a risk

also i think teachers can disclose marks

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The teacher SHOULDN'T do that but I suppose it's just best to leave it behind and get over it. The teacher is an idiot but who cares if you will be done with school and away from them in two months anyway?

malboroman

HSC
N/A
Since you where not their to hear the teachers comments, how can be sure that he ridiculed you? Just because classmates said that he did does not mean this actually happened.
Your protocol should be
1. talk to the teachers involved. (remember that he/she has invested a lot of time and energy in the class and your lack of studying not only reflects badly upon you but also upon them)
2. talk to the head teacher if you are not satisfied.
3. Get over it and be the bigger person, this situation (since you didn't put in the work) is like having a go at a copper for arresting you for drunk driving. I agree that he/she may have upset you by divulging your marks (which is not illegal or ethically inappropriate, especially if this is the usual practice).

Sorry but do your classmates a favour and study your butt off for the HSC in this subject, it may not help you out but stop being selfish and at least give the course a decent effort. (or withdraw)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
If you ask me, you should drop the units if you do not intend on studying for them as your marks could affect the rest of your cohorts marks. I do not see any possible reason for you keeping the subject if you know you are not going to need it.

The fact the your teacher disclosed your mark is not a big deal, but the fact that he/she made a mockery of it, that is pretty unprofessional.

imho, if you do not want the teacher to say your mark because you know it is bad, then perhaps you should not be doing that subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)