Teaching in uni anyone ? (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
Hey guys/girls any one intrested in doing B education (secondary) in uni next year. If so are you going to apply for the teaching scholarships or wahh ...

I might chose this, would you like to list the advantages and disadvantages of that carrer path. I love tutoring, I love the feeling when you teach some one, and at the end of the day they go on applying in without your supervision, to me this is the best feeling in the world beside (s3x)

Affinity

HSC
just beware that liking something as a hobby doesn't mean you will like it as a profession. Chocolate cake is nice.. but too much is sickly

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
One BIG advantage is that there will always be work as a teacher.

I'm also wanting to do this, where are you/have you applied?

I've applied for the Teach NSW scholarship thinger.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Worthwhile job that makes a positive contribution to society.... but only for the 'good' kids, thanks
My view exactly.

Send me where every you want me, as long as I'm doing what I love and enjoy and am getting some sort satisfaction from it.. regardless of geographic location.

HSC
My parents always advise against teaching for the following reasons:

- More and more they have to put up with shit kids who's parents with a vendetta against teachers becoming involved
- Everytime inflation/general wage rises happen they have to fight tooth and nail to gain it as well, the public are against them and their union always compromises
- Though teaching can look like good hours there are so many 'unseen hours' on the side, with things like marking, lesson planning, writing reports and having to reply to student's emails being totally unpaid.
- The newer generation of teachers are either dumbasses or incompetant middle agers who couldn't cut it in the workforce.
- There are very limited options in terms of career progression and those that exist are administrational.
- Legislation makes it very easy to abuse teachers/bullshit complaints and the burden of proof always rests on the teachers.

Also beware those teacher scholarships. They are the lowest paying around, and though you might think working out west could be okay for a while under the new system you could end up getting stuck out there.

HSC
im doing education next year, but in queensland. i looked at the scholarship for nsw, though i knew i wanted to move.

i read through it, and decided it was too... icky. i like having some sort of freedom.

conics2008

HSC
but teaching ain't that bad as you guys make it sound like. Just imagine your year advisor if you were in the that position.

Whats up with that scholarship for teaching, ive just been hearing bad thinsg about it.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes, well, I am sure that working for peanuts and letting people treat you like dirt is really going to raise the status of the profession.

To the OP, I just think that the teacher training scholarships offer too little in return for too great a commitment. Particularly when you consider that the direct benefit while you are in Uni, which is when you need the financial support the most, is minimal.

Thirty years ago the government used to offer teacher training scholarships that actually paid a reasonable enough sort of living allowance while the recipients studied at uni. I know quite a few older teachers who financed their university education that way. The present scholarship is crap in comparison.

M@ster P

HSC
conics2008 said:
Hey guys/girls any one intrested in doing B education (secondary) in uni next year. If so are you going to apply for the teaching scholarships or wahh ...

I might chose this, would you like to list the advantages and disadvantages of that carrer path. I love tutoring, I love the feeling when you teach some one, and at the end of the day they go on applying in without your supervision, to me this is the best feeling in the world beside (s3x)
ever thought of becoming a full time tutor? They get paid heaps if your good

HSC
I put down B arts B education @ USYD as my first preference for UAC.
I procrastinated about the scholarships all year and couldn't hand it in so I was like 'aww, stuff it.'

Hoping i'll get in, otherwise I will have no idea what i'd do otherwise

conics2008

HSC
Teaching anyone ?

Hey fellow 08ers ..

anyone thinking about B edu next year or is it just me ???

-Anfernee-

HSC
Re: Teaching anyone ?

Yeah same with me, I'll be doing a diploma of Education later on.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

conics2008 said:
Hey fellow 08ers ..

anyone thinking about B edu next year or is it just me ???
I am interested but I won't just be doing the B edu. I will probably follow the same path as Kirsty does. I will probably finish my degree first- whatever that is, probably Actuarial at UNSW or Law/Commerce at USYD THEN go on to do the diploma.

conics2008

HSC

huh dip in edu.. why dip why not B

the degree im talking about is B edu/ B arts or B edu/ B science or in some cases M teaching..

whats another way of becoming a teacher. ??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

-Anfernee- said:
If you want to do Actuarial , go to Macq, I do Actl Studies at UNSW. It's shit, that's the best and nicest way i can describe it.
rly? I will definitely consider your suggestion then. I actually was considering to go to one of those uni but I heard that UNSW is more flexible...and there is a chance that I will not like the course but I am not entirely sure. Thanks for the advice.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC

Bachelor of education combined with art is my ninth preference. I actually really want to be a teacher, but my impression is that there is littler incentive (i.e. people don't appreciate your hard work) and the pay is appalling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)