Teaching Pdhpe (1 Viewer)

davo_

good kid
HSC
Another thing to consider if you want to be a pe teacher, is what else you would like to study(if anything), as a backup teaching option. I'm doing pe teaching but I'm also doing a major in science related subjects so that I can also teach science if I am unable to get a pe teaching job (you find that you actually end up studying a fair amount of biology sorta stuff anyway.)

Cab31

HSC
My friend is doing PDHPE teaching at uni, and her second area of study was supposed to be chem. It was so hard that she had to give up and is now screwed. So choose wisely!

ACU_chicka

HSC
do u care what uni u go too?
i noticced u didnt have exercise science at ACU written down as an option? it is a 3 year course and with tha u can become a personal trainer work in the gym etc, but with an additional year u can study a post grad in dip education and then u can teach PE, also by going to ACU u have a greater option to teach at catholic and public education, and also if u decide not to become a teacher u have the PE still in the exercise science degree look it up if interested ;)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i know u can do a course at uncle which is pe teaching... and i'm pretty sure une have a similar one

only prob with the uncle course is that u don't get to do prac till 2nd year (when some people decide that they actually don't want to be teachers)

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Hello all,
So I just finished my HSC. To be honest, Im looking at a UAI of 50-60 but I want to do PE Teaching. I won't get into UNI for it BUT I'm considering doing a TAFE course (are there any for PE) or ACPE. If I was to go too ACPE right, and I get a 80+ after the first year, and then I apply to go to uni to finish this degree thing, will they just look at the 80+ I got or HSC aswell. Why would they look at the HSC if they do end up looking because obviously I wasn't good enough for Uni with this UAI so I went to another institution and killed it there and that will show them im serious enough.

Also, Is PE Teacher really that competitive, ie can you be assured off a job after maybe 2 years if you get over 60 in your studies? I've heard of teacher shortages but maybe this doesnt apply for PE Teachers.

All replies are welcome. Thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

kimmeh said:
Make sure you pick a BEducation-because that will be the only degree that will allow you to teach straight away
Er, or you can do a GradDipEd, or a combined DipEd, or a concurrent DipEd.

Cab31

HSC
there is a real glut of people doing that kind of degree at the moment. Besides, no offence to the ACPE people, but a lot of prospective employers (i.e. schools) dont recognise that 'degree'.

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Cab31 said:
there is a real glut of people doing that kind of degree at the moment. Besides, no offence to the ACPE people, but a lot of prospective employers (i.e. schools) dont recognise that 'degree'.
What do you mean that they don't recognise it. It says on their website that they do recognise it; almost all the teacehrs in my school went through ACPE. You will always find a PE teacher job, no matter if it takes 2 years or 3, i'm pretty sure you'll get a job.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Firstly I'm doing PE teaching (combined with some major studies in science) at the moment so I'm not just talking shit. The main reason why I'm doing extra studies in science (more than the elective minor that my uni (UC) makes ya do - I'm not sure about the course structure at other unis) is because chances are I will probably be teaching science and not PE for a solid amount of my teaching career. So basically in saying that there is not a high demand for PE teachers - as compared to other subjects. I dunno about the ACPE thing, but to be honest on what I know I'd agree with whoever said you'd be better of doing teaching through uni.

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Yep, but from what I've seen, i've been following the teachers transfer guide thingy, whatever its called, and i've seen some vacant PE teacher jobs. Also, australia's population is going up, therefore there will be more children in the future, hence there could be more places for PE teachers out there. Also, how many of the 1,000 graduating graduates that recieve an auto job belong to PE teachers?

Cab31

HSC
All i was saying was that if you want a better chance at getting a job in PE teaching, then dont go to ACPE. I know a lot of people that have graduated from there that do not get jobs because a lot of schools prefer to employ graduates of actual universities. Sorry if i have offended anyone but im just saying it like it is.

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Na its cool. But wouldn't the schools look at the marks you recieved aswell, i mean whats going to be the difference between ACPE and Uni, if you get a diploma (or whatever its called) thats all you need I would imagine, and you recieve that at both ACPE and Uni.

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Also, may i add something else. I seriously think that there will be PD jobs available in the future, it might just take afew years though. However, you could always do casual work, the pay overthere isn't too bad either. I think because of the increasing population that there will be more teachers needed for every faculty including PE Teachers as more schools will need to be open. I've been looking at the schools transfer paper and I've seen everytime a job or 2 for a PE Teacher. What y'all think?

Cab31

HSC
The only thing is that there are a lot of people that are doing human movement, exercise sport science type degrees that are coming through and finding that there are very limited jobs unless they have connections with an institute of sport. These people tend to do a dip ed and become pe teachers - which doesnt mean that there arent any jobs, it just means that there are wuite a few pathways leading into that proffession. But then again there are quite a few pathways leading into a lot of teaching professions - e.g. people doing arts that tend to become teachers and stuff. If i were you i would do it through uni, and pick up a second major - like in biology or something - so you could teach in a second feild as well. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)