technetium 99m (1 Viewer)

azsta25

HSC
what are some negative of technetium 99m besides that is has a very short half life meaning it cant be stored at the hospitals and must be prepared before or on site?
thanx any help would be great

Monsterman

HSC
I would recommend remembering the exact time.. its half life is.. which is 6 hours.. and how it is formed..

FROM MEMORY.. It is made in a nuclear reactor from pellets of U2O (small 2) which contain 2% Uranium.. It decays to form Mo which is then extracted into alumina (might be wrong..) and is stored in some capsule thing (find the actual casing.. should be in text book). The Mo continuously decays to Tc... Tc has a short half life of 6hours which allows it to be used for medical diagnosis. The serum is injected and with the use of a scintillation detector/counter it is used to find any abnormalities in your blood stream.. It is used to find blood clots and look for brain and heart damage after heart attacks and brain damage crap..

Thats what i would put down if i was answering some random question about Tc..... but check what I wrote.. might be wrong

radiation is harmful, especially for workers in hospitals who are dealing with it all the time.
If you are desperate then but that down, because the radiation emitted are gamma rays or whatever..which passes through the skin.. ALSO the radiation damage to the body is minimal since Tc is weakk

Last edited:

super.muppy

HSC
ANSTO question booklet for sure :L its produced as Mo which has a half life of 66 i fink and den it is stored in the capsule and transported to the hospitol where it becomes Tc (the capsule thingy is lead and some coating to stop the radiation becomming x-rays) den at the hospitol staff shoved in some substance (starts with s and contains a salt or sugar) and it is collected using a vacumm needle which sucks out the Tc and the added substance and injected in humans to be scanned

LOL sorry for the rough answer but its some help

Monsterman

HSC
that's your first reason. why would you not put that down?
because its not a good reason.. in my opinion.. considering that the properties of it is that the radiation passes through humans which doesnt do any damage to the person.. so it wouldnt effect the medical practitioner and also the Tc is injected in small amounts.. even if you handle it many times... it would have little effect on the person..

I was meaning to suggest for the person to get a better negative aspect... because it would make you look better if you wrote something like.. (NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING MAY NOT BE TRUE..) the nuclear waste from the nuclear reactor from producing the Mo has a long half life which is bad.. and is crap..

ANSTO question booklet for sure :L its produced as Mo which has a half life of 66 i fink and den it is stored in the capsule and transported to the hospitol where it becomes Tc (the capsule thingy is lead and some coating to stop the radiation becomming x-rays) den at the hospitol staff shoved in some substance (starts with s and contains a salt or sugar) and it is collected using a vacumm needle which sucks out the Tc and the added substance and injected in humans to be scanned

LOL sorry for the rough answer but its some help
you dont need to know half the stuff that you said for the hsc..

Monsterman

HSC
3 mark question on safety issues associated with Tc-99m. What three are you going to use? (plus minimisation factors)
They wont go so specific.. the dot point is

• use available evidence to analyse benefits and problems associated with the use of radioactive isotopes in identified industries and medicine

They wont just go talk about problems... I would talk mostly of the benefits and include one or two problems... Either way, i dont really care.. its over and i havent seen any questions relating to problems.. from memory..

Last edited:

Monsterman

HSC
how is that not a specific dot point?!
They would not go specifically asking for Tc.... read the dotpoint.. radioactive isotopes in industry and medicine.. It does NOT say Tc.. Show me a question in past HSC papers where it would ask to name more than one problems dealing with radioisotopes then I would say that I'm wrong.

I'm just saying that the question would be general.. like Discuss the benefits and problems handling radio-isotopes.. I would answer the problem part (ACTUALLY STATING MORE THAN 3 PROBLEMS) by saying that the radiation from ANOTHER isotope would be dangerous ie strontium or.. Co-60.. taking account of the fact that you would be saying Tc's radiation is harmless which is why it is good to be used.. SO i wont be a hypocrite, in my response.. thats one..
two.. i would say that the disposal of the radio-active substances is difficult to dispose of.. taking account the long half life of some isotopes.. ie.. St
threee: also there needs to be careful handling of the isotopes when put into the patient or some crap like that cause you dont want to damage healthy tissue.. Co-60.
fourrr: People working in nuclear reactors need to be careful working there.. photographic film.. or whatever its called to detect any radiation.. have health checks and that..
Fiveeee: St i think.. is similar to calcium so it can cause random crap to the patient.

OOOOOOOOOOOH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)