Teeth Whitening (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does any one here have much experience with teeth whitening products? I've been using this White-Glow tooth enamel bleaching gel stuff for a few days now and while it's making my teeth whiter, it's also making them blotchy! Is it going to even out over time?
Help!

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
According to pamphelets at the dentist, "only your dentist can make your teeth their whitest".

I don't doubt it, but at ~$700 per year, I'd rather sacrifice a bit of whiteness.

robo-andie

HSC
Nakashima said:
According to pamphelets at the dentist, "only your dentist can make your teeth their whitest".

I don't doubt it, but at ~$700 per year, I'd rather sacrifice a bit of whiteness.
mine only cost $300. Though I won't have them done for awhile now, I just needed them all perty for photos.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i wouldnt use anything that contains bicarb soda, that shit eats off your tooth enamel, and whilst it will make your teeth white, they will also be decaying by the time you turn 40

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
Any recommendations for do-it-yourself teeth whiteners?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I got something called Pola-Nite from my dentist a few years back - my teeth had permanent discolouration (from eating toothpaste as a kid :eek:)

It cos $500 but I got about $400 of it back from insurance in the end so it was worth it. It was realy effective with no blotches at all, mainly due to the fact that your dentist takes a mould of your teeth to create a plastic thing which fits exactly, and you place the gel in it each night then place it over your teeth before bed.

Bright white, no splotches. It was good.

If you are serious about getting them whitened, best to talk to your dentist about your options.

mserica

HSC
Get it done at your local dentist, its not that expensive (usually around 300-500 dollars).. its the best way to make sure that its the healthiest for your teeth

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
as others have mentioned, the blotchiness is probably caused by uneven coverage of the product over ur teeth. The best way to remedy this is to go to your dentist and get them to make a mould of your teeth. I did it this way and it worked great.

However, Remember to be careful with what you eat during the whitening period. Avoid coloured toothpastes (go for plain white, sensitive) and don't eat highly coloured foods like beetroot. Basically if it would majorly stain a piece of white cloth if you brushed it against the food then don't eat it. It would suck to spend $300+ and end up with blue/pink/other teeth.

kimmi06

HSC
well im currently using 'hollywood nights' stuff by pearl drops, not sure of the price, mum bought it for me. it seems to work! they've definately gotten whiter. she's using the colgate one but im not sure how its going, I'll ask though!

HSC
yikes coloured teeth that sounds like a nightmare.
The blotches seem to have faded a bit, I think they might be from where I had braces years ago, maybe my teeth were slightly different coloured where the braces were before the whitening and the stuff made it more pronounced? Not sure. Anyway it's faded now thank goodness

Lori.

HSC
The DIY stuff can be really bad for you; it can cause gum irritation, blotches, enamel to wear off, etc. I wouldn't trust any of it.
The best way to go is the Zoom whitening treatment. It costs $1000.00 (at my old dentist, that is, so it can vary) and it lasts forever, as long as you take care of your teeth.

My sister knew this girl who worked as a dentist's assistant, who told her that you can improve the colour of your teeth just by brushing more often, changing your toothbrushes every month, getting regular professional cleans and flossing. That works for me and doesn't cost a fortune, either!

unimelbdental

HSC
N/A
alrite, let the dental student enlighten you guys on teeth whitening

There are really 3 options to tooth whitening
1) self prescibed (available at supermarket) is not recommended as ppl have said so far its effects vary causing discolouration in some areas and plus it is not really done under supervision of dentists. BIG NO NO

2) dentist prescribed. This falls under 2 categories: self application or dentist application. self application is just a lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide that oxidises the tooth and this is done for over about 2 week period. The dentist application one is done in one visit with a higher concentration, sometimes using a blue light (Zoom whitening) to activate the bleaching process.

3) procelain/veneers this is the most expensive one and it involves cutting the tooth surface back and glue/bond a layer of procelain over the top. This is what the hollywood stars have that makes their teeth super WHITE

PS whitening toothpaste should be avoided as it actually doesnt bleach teeth but contain abrasives that acts to 'whitening' teeth by wearing out the enamel to remove stains.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
unimelbdental said:
alrite, let the dental student enlighten you guys on teeth whitening

There are really 3 options to tooth whitening
1) self prescibed (available at supermarket) is not recommended as ppl have said so far its effects vary causing discolouration in some areas and plus it is not really done under supervision of dentists. BIG NO NO

2) dentist prescribed. This falls under 2 categories: self application or dentist application. self application is just a lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide that oxidises the tooth and this is done for over about 2 week period. The dentist application one is done in one visit with a higher concentration, sometimes using a blue light (Zoom whitening) to activate the bleaching process.

3) procelain/veneers this is the most expensive one and it involves cutting the tooth surface back and glue/bond a layer of procelain over the top. This is what the hollywood stars have that makes their teeth super WHITE

PS whitening toothpaste should be avoided as it actually doesnt bleach teeth but contain abrasives that acts to 'whitening' teeth by wearing out the enamel to remove stains.
what up dentist student? let me ask you, if you use the blue light does that also mank up your enamel too? and how much does the dentist charge for using the blue light?

BlackDragon

HSC
!! CaR`JiE !! said:
i jus use colgate whitening tooth paste..
yeah. and it is the act of brushing more than anything else that'll remove plaque from your teeth and make them whiter. so just brush regularly and use mouth wash is my tip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)