Telling the Truth - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
fleepbasding said:
Yes, I completely agree about using different media. I'm sorry, I didn't articulate very well that my point was that the ORT's have to be about the same personality, event etc. Like for "Birthday Letters", one of Plaths poems or a biography by some feminist or something. So it is a different representation of the same event. Atleast that's what the syllabus seems to indicate.
But not specify.

Feel free to pick non-Sylvia, non-feminist related texts :)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
glitterfairy said:
But not specify.

Feel free to pick non-Sylvia, non-feminist related texts :)
thanks, I always did think it was an odd paragraph in the syllabus and something that no teacher had ever told us about. After phoning the adviceline and hearing it here, my mind is thouroughly at rest!

HSC
would it be good to use radio interviews such as triple j's payolla news from hack? especially when they talked alot about the community stations' getting sponsorship but they don't report alot from commercial stations' antics in relating to frontline's smaller fish to fry?

Insouciance

HSC
seremify007 said:
*didn't read all of topic* But I thought I'd suggest Peter Weir's Truman Show~
Truman Show is an assigned text, which they frown upon using as related, otherwise it would be perfect :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It is? I didn't know it was an assigned text >_> My teacher just said it'd be a good text to use when I asked if I could use it~

Did anyone watch the new South Park episode- Two days before the day after tomorrow? That's a REALLY GOOD EPISODE for telling the truth! Just DL'd it from BT and it's pretty much a parody of all the recent natural disasters (such as the New Orleans flooding) and how people are more concerned with who's fault it is as opposed to what they should do to fix it.

ishq

brown?
HSC
For Telling the Truth and Frontline, the related texts which worked well for me were:

- Moments of Truth, a collection of political cartoons by Bill Leak. I used his impersonation of Alan Jones to discuss 'spin doctoring' and 'cash for comment'. There are several caricatures in the collection which highlight the superficial, sensational and manipulative nature of the media, and also how they themselves can be manipulated.

- The Exception to the Rulers, an investigative journalistic piece by Amy Goodman. This book (available from Chatswood Library) chronicles the way a monopolised media helped the American Government sell the Iraq War to its people. Its very hard hitting and reveals many myths surrounding not only this, but also the previous Gulf Wars and the Indonesian crisis. It can be a bit Michael Moore style (cliched, melodramatic) but, its good.

Cheers!

bini_bung

HSC
Recently on SBS there were documentaries exploring possible conspiracies behind 911. Does anyone know the titles?

Justin

HSC
I saw an excellent movie the other day.

The island.

I am going to apply it to module C (TTT).

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
ig you're doing frontline, try a written text. Markers like variety

bini_bung

HSC
"Race: The Power Of An Illusion" was a documentary that was on ABC this evening. Though I didn't get to watch the entire documentary, I think it may be a possible choice as a related text.

Anyone that watched it, what are your thoughts on it in relation to representing the truth?

Michiru

HSC
for those doing frontline, a good related text is Outfoxed (the actual doco, or if u cant get your hands on that, then articles and stories written about the doco), anything on the Tampa issue, a book called Big Bother which explores what goes on behind Big Brother, and this other book called The Body Snatchers which explores the media portrayal and social perception of women.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
i used the micheal jackson court case..... yes there was was a lot of work invovled.... but if u look deeper into it u can find lots ofthings that aren't right..... this is just my recomendation tho!!
This was linked with the front line episodes.... soya

elmo788

HSC
hey great list you got! do all these texts relate to frontline? i'm sorry i just started the topic and im really confused

Shoda

HSC
Liar Liar is new. Gotta have a good idea for it first though otherwise it'll fall through. A good one is "The Insider" with Russell Crowe and Al Pacino. The one with the tabacco company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)