Telling the Truth - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Pointy Ears

HSC
glitterfairy said:
In regards to using a text that is a prescribed one in another module/subject:

My teacher was a head marker for the HSC and he said it was fine.

There's also no rule stating you can't use the same related text for more than one module, although unless you're lucky, the vast majority of texts will tend to really suit either one or the other, and you might be better off studying two different texts that are more appropriate.

Also, a range of genres is preferred :)
WOW!
Being able to use texts from other subjects/modules would save me a lot of time!
However, my english teacher recently ripped out all this Wilfred Owen stuff from the notes she gave us, claiming that it was a part of the standard syllabus and that as a result, cannot be used.
I had also thought that they couldnt be used.

Was this an allowance that was recently made?
Cos now Im so damn confused at what to do :(

kim_

i want to do leunig "lies" but i dont really know how to interpret it, can n e 1 help me please
thnx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

kim_

oh yeah pointy ears, i went to the edassist lectures and the guy there sed dat it isnt a really gud thing to use text from other modules as there are many study guides n stuff already on it and the markers will think that u were too lazy to go and find your own text and interpret it by urself... so i dnt think u shul use a text from another module...unless you really really really want to

Simpson Freak

HSC
i actually have that Conspiracy THeory episode on VHS....but its a documentary and therefore similar/parallel to Fronline......my teacher says not to use it....and i believe i shall adhere to here every command...lol

btw....i have chosen to do Hurrican by Bob DYlan

and Star Wars Episode 3

they are great for representing the truth

Illidan

HSC
frontline

i'd have to disagree there. frontline is a satire of current affairs programs, not a documentary. it would be similar/parrallel to CNNNN

Illidan

HSC
"lies"

i want to do leunig "lies" but i dont really know how to interpret it, can n e 1 help me please
thnx in advance

The Luenig cartton shows how truth depends on perspective through the varyinging view, and also suggests that the truth is manipulated by the media by the lengths indicated, use of langauge, that a media personel is willing to go to to provide a senationalist, story and achieve populist appeal.

Any other ideas?

HSC
N/A
Pointy Ears said:
WOW!
Being able to use texts from other subjects/modules would save me a lot of time!
However, my english teacher recently ripped out all this Wilfred Owen stuff from the notes she gave us, claiming that it was a part of the standard syllabus and that as a result, cannot be used.
I had also thought that they couldnt be used.

Was this an allowance that was recently made?
Cos now Im so damn confused at what to do :(
Hmm.

There's nothing saying you can't study the TEXTS from another module. However, I would definately say you can't study the SYLLABUS NOTES from another module/subject. There are legalities and protocol involved, and secondly, whilst the text may be the same the "interpretation" will be different depending on the course outlines involved.

fairydust has hit the nail on the head - however if you think you can do it well, there's nothing stopping you from doing it :)

Tish_88

HSC
hey guyss, in relation to frontline, when we are looking for related material should i have one adressing "truth" and another more related to curren affairs and their portrayal of truth??

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
hi guys, i am doing birthday letters and am trying to find/think of a related text that deals with people who conceal thier true selves to protect and only end up causeing pain...or something along those lines
any ideas you have would be much appreciated as a realated text as above would deal directly with the theme - the conflict between appearance and reality which appears heavily in "your paris" and surfaces abit in "sam"
anyways
much tanks if anyone can think of anything!

j3skaaa

HSC
heyaz~
did anyone do Catch Me If You Can as a related material for Frontline?
wat conclusions did u make?
you have any helpful notes or anything?
Muchly appreciated!! =D

Pointy Ears

HSC
lislabella said:
hi guys, i am doing birthday letters and am trying to find/think of a related text that deals with people who conceal thier true selves to protect and only end up causeing pain...or something along those lines
any ideas you have would be much appreciated as a realated text as above would deal directly with the theme - the conflict between appearance and reality which appears heavily in "your paris" and surfaces abit in "sam"
anyways
much tanks if anyone can think of anything!
Hi. I reckon 'Everybody's Fool' by Evansecence is something that you could use:)

Jexi

HSC
I'm considering Veronica Guerin starring Cate Blanchette. Though I'm not sure. Its based on a true story about Veronica, an Irish juornalist who uncovered something about the drug scandals in Ireland. In the end, its assumed or suspected that it was the druggies who shot her 5 times in her car.

(It also has Colin Farrell in it :p)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Last year I used "Gone In the Night" starring Shannon Doherty and directed by I think(his name's so ordinary it confuses me :eek: ) Bill L. Norton. The movie is based on a true story and depicts a couple accused of murdering their own daughter and how the truth was twisted in the court room in order to secure a conviction. It also depicts how the newspapers hyperbolised the story as the prosecution were the only people willing to publicly comment, and that this one sided depiction of the truth harmed the case.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
McDonalds vs. The Customers: Monopoly Debacle...i think this sort of stuff is peach...the media attacking corporation or doing stories which certainly avoid the important facts...you just have to be able to dig up the Media releases, and the McDonalds releases...they make good comparison...

Even the recent McDonalds vs. Vege Farmers in Tasi is a good example of how the truth is presented in media...i reckon the markers would dig it too...

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
im doing a section of an episode of media watch... and then im doing the tv documentary of Conspiracy theory did we land on the moon? but i was thinking that since they are both visuals... is it ok... or should i choose another related material based on a written article or a story... any ideas?

cimbom

HSC
Two supplementary and two episodes of Frontline, right? I'm guessing a text of contemporary relevance like from Foreign Correspondent, Dateline or SMH is okay and then a fictional text with telling the truth something in, like perception or misrepresentation. I don't know, that's what I did. www.abc.net.au/foreign : most stories are summarised, transcripted and there to watch through real player.

urf

Just urf
Green Hell (It's like every hell...but kinda green
HSC
I will probably use the song 'Testify' by Rage Against the Machine, it works pretty well on how media stories are manipulated almost to the point of being entertainment, just like frontline.
Come to think of it, 'Guerilla Radio' by the same band would also work...

sleepy_tania

HSC
It would be really helpful if someone could reply asap as i have an assessment on tuesday on this and I need to know if my related text will be relevent.

As a related text for frontline, will it have to be on Telling the Truth in the MEDIA, or can it be anything? Because i have a really good related text im dying to use but it isnt based around the media.

Thanks to n e one who replys!

Take care,
Tania

rightie

lost in suburbia hell
HSC
frontline

im stuck for articles like newspaper ones. any one got anyideas. i've been right through this thread and i'm stuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)