Telling the Truth - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
For something slightly different, a text like; Michel Foucault-Power/Knowledge relates nicely to the themes of the unit. Has some great quotes on the inter-relation between 'truth' and power... For instance;

Truth is a thing of this world. It is produced only by virtue of multiple forms of constraint.-p.131.

It is not possible for power to be exercised without knowledge. It is impossible for knowledge not to engender power.-p.52.

Also links very smoothly into Frontline. (i.e. power relations displayed in 'Smaller Fish to Fry'.)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Exams

Has there ever been an exam question which specifically mentions representation of the truth IN GENERAL, ie, not only the media. That's to say, if one was to be given this general question, would one be penalised for concentrating their argument on the representation of truth in the media.

Or, in summary, is one disadvantaged if one only uses related texts that raise awareness about telling the truth in the media?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell and The Crucible by Arthur Miller seem to work for me.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Actually I had initially planned to use The Crucible as well. However I feel that if such a text is used then you'll have to speak a little about context, in order to define the objects of satire.
My school seems to have a particular preference for controversial topics. Would this become an issue in the actual HSC if the marker shares a different opinion as shown in your essay?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Can't use 1984 by Mr Orwell unfortunately. It is an exclusion as it is studied in one of the other modules. Either Powerplay or something in the critical study I think...:p

frazzle

HSC
shazzam said:
Has there ever been an exam question which specifically mentions representation of the truth IN GENERAL, ie, not only the media. That's to say, if one was to be given this general question, would one be penalised for concentrating their argument on the representation of truth in the media.

Or, in summary, is one disadvantaged if one only uses related texts that raise awareness about telling the truth in the media?
my questions exactly! originally i was goign to use texts that talked about truth in general, but then, i got so confused, and i changed them to truth in the media to be safe.

isn't that a bit narrow in the light of a general question?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Can't use 1984 by Mr Orwell unfortunately. It is an exclusion as it is studied in one of the other modules. Either Powerplay or something in the critical study I think...:p
Why ? Its part of powerplay, which is also module C, and so you wouldnt have studied it at school so no advantage to anyone. And also I had a look in the syllabus and can't find anything about an exclusion list, where is it?

"In addition, students will explore texts of their own choosing relevant to the Area of Study. Students draw their chosen texts from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media."

is all I can find.

Last edited:

clerisy

HSC
frazzle said:
my questions exactly! originally i was goign to use texts that talked about truth in general, but then, i got so confused, and i changed them to truth in the media to be safe.

isn't that a bit narrow in the light of a general question?
The questions are always going to be general ones on truth-- it's got to cover Ted Hughes' poetry and The Justice Game too, and they don't focus on media. I doubt they'd ever specify, however, that you MUST not focus on the media within the question-- considering Frontline's the focus, if you find media texts relate best, then that's what works for you. I shouldn't think that they'd consider it narrow.

classics_chic

HSC
Most crime fiction texts can be applied to Telling the Truth I found

But Geoffery Robertson's biography The Justice Game is a goood one to use (even though it's on the syllabus- it was my text- almost no one does it so you can get away with it). I recommend "The Trials of Oz" - I think it fits well with the study of Frontline.

Also MI Finley's book (non-fiction) "Ancient History: Evidence and Models" is full of things to use.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Hmmm I know some people used that but it might be better to use something specifically related to your line of argument.

Jase

HSC
i'd say, right behind frontline.. CNNNN would be the best visual text to use.

you could go out and borrow or buy a seasons worth of episodes.

or here's an episode about George Bush coming to Australia, and lots o stuff about terrorism. Laughed myself silly.

Link to Download Site (requires RealPlayer)
the file is 28mb, but its worth it.

starlighty

HSC
N/A
Hey guys...I found this in the SMH today. It is, in my opinion, an EXCELLENT article about truth in politics and the extent to which the people require their elected officials to be honest and trustworthy, well worth a look for those of you who haven't yet done your trials and are desperate for supplementary material for this module, or those who feel their related texts aren't sophisticated/complex enough.
The first article is titled 'What Lies Beneath'; it had the following byline (it got cut off by the scanner): "As a nation we demand truth in politics, but only when it suits, writes Peter Hartcher." The second is a column written by Mike Carlton. They're both from the SMH, News Review Section, August 21-22 2004. Hope they help!
PS - Sorry about the quality. I had originally scanned them, but the jpegs were too big, so I had to convert them to Word documents. If they're too hard to read, just send me a PM and I'll email you the original scans (be warned, they are VERY large files...too big for Hotmail, methinks).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The simpsons episode where Homer is accused for sexual harassment and that television program edits his interview to make him look guilty is a good related text

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
withoutaface said:
Why ? Its part of powerplay, which is also module C, and so you wouldnt have studied it at school so no advantage to anyone. And also I had a look in the syllabus and can't find anything about an exclusion list, where is it?

"In addition, students will explore texts of their own choosing relevant to the Area of Study. Students draw their chosen texts from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media."

is all I can find.
Quote head marker: 'Up until about 2 years ago you could not use a text that was set for prescribed study in another module...now you can.'

elizarose

Thankyou

starlighty said:
Hey guys...I found this in the SMH today. It is, in my opinion, an EXCELLENT article about truth in politics and the extent to which the people require their elected officials to be honest and trustworthy, well worth a look for those of you who haven't yet done your trials and are desperate for supplementary material for this module, or those who feel their related texts aren't sophisticated/complex enough.
The first article is titled 'What Lies Beneath'; it had the following byline (it got cut off by the scanner): "As a nation we demand truth in politics, but only when it suits, writes Peter Hartcher." The second is a column written by Mike Carlton. They're both from the SMH, News Review Section, August 21-22 2004. Hope they help!
PS - Sorry about the quality. I had originally scanned them, but the jpegs were too big, so I had to convert them to Word documents. If they're too hard to read, just send me a PM and I'll email you the original scans (be warned, they are VERY large files...too big for Hotmail, methinks).
Thanks heaps for the newspaper articles, i just kind of skim read it and they will be useful! Don't worry by me and others having this it shouldn't really disadvantage you although this is partiucularly in regards to me, you might say i'm not doing to well!
Anyway thanks again :wave:

Paroissien

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
The simpsons episode where Homer is accused for sexual harassment and that television program edits his interview to make him look guilty is a good related text
I actually used that in my trial exam, but it got shat on because it was 'specific' enough. And as a result that ended up being my worst mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)