Terrible marks despite frequent studying!! (1 Viewer)

torylearn

HSC
N/A
So we've gotten half our results back, and half of them are crap... despite the fact i was studying frequently 5/6 weeks leading to my half yearlies. My results were:

Standard English 45%
Maths (2u) 72%
physics 63%
pdhpe 89%

That's all we've gotten so far :(

happyhunter

HSC
You might want to review your method of studying. It may not be the style that you 'click' with.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To achieve all round success in exams, one need to study as consistently and for a prolonged period. Studying for exams really starts when the term starts, building from the consolidation of knowledge to regularly revising and reviewing it, perhaps if you could share with us some of your current study methods, we could give you more personalised advice on how you can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your study. Feel free to check out this guide if you haven't-will give you some guidance on potential effective study techniques that might work for you.
http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

Best wishes and hope this helped a bit:)

Axio

=o
HSC
So we've gotten half our results back, and half of them are crap... despite the fact i was studying frequently 5/6 weeks leading to my half yearlies. My results were:

Standard English 45%
Maths (2u) 72%
physics 63%
pdhpe 89%

That's all we've gotten so far :(
PDHPE - marks are very good.

Maths 2U - marks are pretty good.

Physics - exams are often hard, what kind of things did you lose marks in? Calculation questions?

Standard English - did you finish the exam? Where did you lose most of your marks, essays?

torylearn

HSC
N/A
PDHPE - marks are very good.

Maths 2U - marks are pretty good.

Physics - exams are often hard, what kind of things did you lose marks in? Calculation questions?

Standard English - did you finish the exam? Where did you lose most of your marks, essays?
With English- I did finish the exam-10/15 minutes to spare, i lost marks with the creative and the essay- despite the fact i did alot of essay practice

With physics- i got lucky in terms of multiple choice, and the diagrams- some of the diagrams were like what the heck- but i wrote some sort of relevant answer...

Axio

=o
HSC
With the HSC English exam AOS (Discovery) most people are probably going to have a creative piece (or two) that they've been practicing all year and they simply mould it to suit the question in the exam. So don't worry too much about that as you can perfect creatives outside of exams.

However, for the essay writing I think you need to have a look to see where you lost your marks. Was it structured correctly? Was it too short? Did it answer the question? Did you have enough evidence? If you are unsure of where you went wrong, seek help from your teacher or others. Remember that in external HSC English exams you are required to write 4 essays in total, so once you perfect essay writing you will have perfected over 50% of the exam!

As for Physics, assuming you know the content well, I think you might need to complete more past papers for study. This will enable you to see a wide variety of questions and you will be less likely to think 'what the heck?'

Just remember that this is only prelim so this is the time to learn from your mistakes, not worry about them!

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
With the HSC English exam AOS (Discovery) most people are probably going to have a creative piece (or two) that they've been practicing all year and they simply mould it to suit the question in the exam. So don't worry too much about that as you can perfect creatives outside of exams.

However, for the essay writing I think you need to have a look to see where you lost your marks. Was it structured correctly? Was it too short? Did it answer the question? Did you have enough evidence? If you are unsure of where you went wrong, seek help from your teacher or others. Remember that in external HSC English exams you are required to write 4 essays in total, so once you perfect essay writing you will have perfected over 50% of the exam!

As for Physics, assuming you know the content well, I think you might need to complete more past papers for study. This will enable you to see a wide variety of questions and you will be less likely to think 'what the heck?'

Just remember that this is only prelim so this is the time to learn from your mistakes, not worry about them!
Solid advice, Axio - couldn't have said it better myself.

torylearn

HSC
N/A

With The English exam, i structured the exam properly, unfortunately didn't answer the question properly leading to a 7/15 in the essay.

Also with physics, i got a couple of textbooks, they had sample prelim questions- i found that they didn't help that much, out of 100's of question only a few were similar :/.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
What you should be doing is EXPLICITLY linking your cohesive and logically sustained response directly to the question - that way it will ensure that you are able to access 10+/15. If you are able to do this which a sophisticated response, the marks you attain will be high.

Good luck,
dangerouss

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Just do practice essays before a test and ask a teacher to mark them and give u feedback. Use the feedback they tell u in the exam and u will get great marks. good luck :D

torylearn

HSC
N/A
Just do practice essays before a test and ask a teacher to mark them and give u feedback. Use the feedback they tell u in the exam and u will get great marks. good luck :D
yeah i did that Multiple times : - my teacher thought i was going to come first, then yeaaah

Axio

=o
HSC
With The English exam, i structured the exam properly, unfortunately didn't answer the question properly leading to a 7/15 in the essay.

Also with physics, i got a couple of textbooks, they had sample prelim questions- i found that they didn't help that much, out of 100's of question only a few were similar :/.
Hmm, well was there any particular types of questions that you seemed to be getting wrong in physics? Maybe you need to focus on a particular area for improvement.

Also with English, when you did practice essays did you do them in exam conditions?

enoilgam

HSC
You might want to review your method of studying. It may not be the style that you 'click' with.
Definitely agree with this - as I always say, study is about finding what works for you. By the sound of things, you havent really found the right study methodology yet - so I would get back to the drawing board and try something new and different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)