Test your knowledge !!! (2 Viewers)

Ghost1788

HSC
Question if the electron is the most 'important' sub atomic particle then isnt a positron equally as 'important'

'start physics
Remembering that (goin into physics here') Newtons states that for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.
For example in a circuit powered by any type of power source, electron flow is measured as Voltage(V) however Current is deemed to move in the opposite direction to electron flow and was proved/found (by someone dunno who) to be the flow of 'positively charged electrons' now known as positions.
'end physics

So yea, after this is the electron still the most important sub atomic particle. I honestly doubt that you could claim any 1 particle to be the most important, however from my current knowledge assuming what i have said earlier is correct i would assume the neutron.

MY QUESTION
A neutron is a proton + electron or is it a positron + electron

either way it is the result of two particles of opposite charge one of which is an electron.....

Last edited:

funking_you

In this world of ours (i.e. to the limits of the known universe), by its very nature a positron has no real 'chemistry' besides going BOOM when coming in contact with an electron.
A positron is not just a 'positively charged' electron...it IS anti-matter.

When we ask what is the most important sub-atomic particle...you must first ask yourself, what does 'important' mean?
Important to me mean, that which determines the majority of physical and chemical properties of a substance...by this definition, the electron is by a long stretch the most relevent, both in the classical realm and the quantum realm.

Think about all you understand about chemistry and ask yourself, how many of the concepts are a consequence of the nature and behaviour of electrons...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
For question 8, a beta particle is the same as an electron...right? If so, then why is (a) the correct answer rather than (c)?

Edit: Never mind, I just found out that a Beta-particle is a high-energy particle which has more energy than an ejected valance electron, thus more than 'just an electron'... :D

Last edited:

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
What is a transuranic element? I don't think we covered that.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
davidbarnes said:
What is a transuranic element? I don't think we covered that.
Elements that are artificially created with an atomic number greater than 92
(not found in nature like Uranium because it is a natural element with the highest atomic number)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)